ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2014, 07:16 AM   #631
Bluesilver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post
Bluesilver exactly what year 1190 do you own? Maybe put it in your signature. You say "loads of issues" which I'm sorry to hear on your motorcycle. However I wouldn't group all the 2014 under this.... What "warranty list" are you speaking of, yours, all owners, what?

Every post I have seen from you is negative KTM, are you sure you don't work for BMW?
Lets see, my bike has been at KTM almost two weeks now, just dropped off Friday and Saturday I call KTM about the recall on battery cables for the cold start problem I told them MONTHS ago...guess what, day they sent my bike back, the recall was made officially so...BACK Monday my bike heads to KTM yet again.

600km the shyte started, 4000km now STILL issues and they can't tell me why the MTC/ABS failed..just say it's ok now....so ye, I have a right to be utterly pissed of at KTM so much so that I have contacted the MD of KTMSA twice and spoken to her, after many promises they fixed SOME of the issues but not all.

Ok, so it's been exactly a year if you read my posts you would have seen I have one of the first 2013 1190's.I'm not all negative as this is my 4th KTM but by far the worst QUALITY BUILD bike. KTM are taking now over a year to fix THEIR problems which becomes my problem, I'm not their R&D and I work in the Global OEM trade so KTM can't bullshyte me.All I want is a bike that does what KTM tells us, any problems fix it asap, of all the parts changed on my bike in 12months, KTM has contacted me ONCE, I find out when the bike breaks or I read about it here and have to contact KTM to find out what is up?

As for 2014 bikes, why do I read on THEIR airbox thread of the EXACT same problem.........KTM tell us the 2014 has ALL the 'upgrades' of the 2013...also hearing of cold start probelms.......

KTM want to charge us high end prices for their bikes and Powerparts, then they should provide a service to match, that is my only irritation with KTM, CRAP AFTER SALE SERVICE especially when they KNOW they have a problem with their 1190 Adventure be it big like blow motors or small like a steering damper mount failure.

Bluesilver screwed with this post 06-01-2014 at 07:23 AM
Bluesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:31 AM   #632
mlyamkaw
Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post

Every post I have seen from you is negative KTM, are you sure you don't work for BMW?
14 KTM 500 EXC
mlyamkaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:54 AM   #633
KawiPhil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETJOCK125 View Post
Sorry about your hand. Heal quick. Hope I can at least street ride in a month. I'm from the Dayton area.
I'm also in the Dayton area if you are interested in riding once you get back to it.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #634
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesilver View Post
Lets see, my bike has been at KTM almost two weeks now, just dropped off Friday and Saturday I call KTM about the recall on battery cables for the cold start problem I told them MONTHS ago...guess what, day they sent my bike back, the recall was made officially so...BACK Monday my bike heads to KTM yet again.

600km the shyte started, 4000km now STILL issues and they can't tell me why the MTC/ABS failed..just say it's ok now....so ye, I have a right to be utterly pissed of at KTM so much so that I have contacted the MD of KTMSA twice and spoken to her, after many promises they fixed SOME of the issues but not all.

Ok, so it's been exactly a year if you read my posts you would have seen I have one of the first 2013 1190's.I'm not all negative as this is my 4th KTM but by far the worst QUALITY BUILD bike. KTM are taking now over a year to fix THEIR problems which becomes my problem, I'm not their R&D and I work in the Global OEM trade so KTM can't bullshyte me.All I want is a bike that does what KTM tells us, any problems fix it asap, of all the parts changed on my bike in 12months, KTM has contacted me ONCE, I find out when the bike breaks or I read about it here and have to contact KTM to find out what is up?

As for 2014 bikes, why do I read on THEIR airbox thread of the EXACT same problem.........KTM tell us the 2014 has ALL the 'upgrades' of the 2013...also hearing of cold start probelms.......

KTM want to charge us high end prices for their bikes and Powerparts, then they should provide a service to match, that is my only irritation with KTM, CRAP AFTER SALE SERVICE especially when they KNOW they have a problem with their 1190 Adventure be it big like blow motors or small like a steering damper mount failure.

Sounds like a piece of crap I would get rid of it....
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:28 PM   #635
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
You have a 1900 amp car charger?

You could literally start an aircraft turbine engine with that
haha
I sure do.. and it does have a fair bit of grunt.. I used to use it with my turbo diesel patrol which used to be be an ass to start on cold mornings as well (common theme for me)

They are not as expensive as you think either..
$125..
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/2214...=true&lpid=107

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #636
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4fun View Post
OK you folks have talked me out of this bike!!!!! My dealer has one and he tells me it is very rare....I guess it's because they are in the trucks with all the GM recalss.
don't let these issues put you off.. If I had to sell mine for whatever reason and then had the money to buy another bike, I would still buy a KTM 1190 adventure R, without a doubt..

You wouldn't go for a bush pig for a mrs as opposed to a high maintenance supermodel would you? ;)

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
Old 06-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #637
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Then applying the front brake does not stop the rear because the ABS is off. Also, ( and I had read this in another 1190 thread) turning the bike off while in gear does not not stop the motor. You have to shift to neutral before the motor shuts down (might be a safety issue).
Actually mate, the ktm 1190 has modulating brakes, so if you pull the front brake, it does apply the back as well. I put my fingers over the rear caliper the other day and felt the squeeze when i pressed the front.

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
Old 06-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #638
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesilver View Post
This is the stock battery, will an extra 60CCA make enough difference? When I get home again as KTM is of NO use...I want to gauge the cable KTM are using check the ratings and measure the amps it pulls at cold start, see if this is not the problem.
oh i wasn't aware that the stock battery is 230cca.. but that extra might make a difference.. in a car an extra 100cca makes a difference so maybe 60cca in a bike might make a greater difference?

I remember with my old range rover 4wd (which had gremlin wiring all over) that I had to play around with earthing the battery closer to the starter to get it to kick with a bit more grunt. I have been playing around with the electric bikes and have a bit of high amp wire sitting around.. Id be keen to see how many amps its trying to pull on start up and see if I have wire thats better for the job. Suprisingly jaycar (the local radioshak type store) doesnt sell anything bigger than 35amp wiring.. but the hobbyking has some real beefy stuff.

Another cold start this morning (maybe not as cold as the other day).. I turned the key on and left it sit for about a min or 2 before trying to start it and it started within 3 to 4 turns.. Maybe that's the trick? It might need to prime or something first.. The next 3 to 4 degree morning we have ill try it again..

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
Old 06-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #639
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
Actually mate, the ktm 1190 has modulating brakes, so if you pull the front brake, it does apply the back as well. I put my fingers over the rear caliper the other day and felt the squeeze when i pressed the front.
It does this when ABS is in Road mode. With ABS set to Off-Road, the front lever only operates the front (in ABS mode) and the rear is controlled with the foot pedal (no ABS) in order to do power slides in and out of corners when on dirt tracks. With ABS off there is also no linked braking.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:44 PM   #640
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
In the test I did. the ABS was off as was indicated by the ABS light being on. In a previous test done by another ADVRider, the bike had been ridden (ABS light off), stopped, put on a stand, put in gear and pressing the front brake did not stop the rear wheel. In this case, I think that ABS was actually off because the bike was not moving, but ABS light does not come on in this instance.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:02 AM   #641
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
It does this when ABS is in Road mode. With ABS set to Off-Road, the front lever only operates the front (in ABS mode) and the rear is controlled with the foot pedal (no ABS) in order to do power slides in and out of corners when on dirt tracks. With ABS off there is also no linked braking.
oh interesting.. it makes sense about off road mode..

I saw a couple of posts regarding ABS and MTC failing/ staying off while your riding too.. I noticed when i jsut about drained the battery a few days ago then it started, the abs and mtc stayed off as well.. but then next time it started, it was fine.. so perhaps its some type of limp home mode when the battery doesnt have enough ompf*

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
Old 06-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #642
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Thought my steering head bearing were loose as the bike was making a clicking noise when coming to a stop so I checked. What i found was the buttons that hold the floating disk on (front) were loose and rocking back and forth, bearings were fine.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #643
River99
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I take the shifters off our SX's and place them in a vice to bend them until a comfortable position is achieved. Usually bend them up half a notch and run them down a full notch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
River99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:07 PM   #644
USPSATrevor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Matson View Post
Thought my steering head bearing were loose as the bike was making a clicking noise when coming to a stop so I checked. What i found was the buttons that hold the floating disk on (front) were loose and rocking back and forth, bearings were fine.
Thanks! I was having the same sound. This helps. : )
USPSATrevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:34 PM   #645
adrenalin-junkie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Laugh So glad I still have and LOVE my 950

When I went home to South Africa in April . I went to the KTM dealer and got my 950 an orange headlight cover .

My wife went with me , and she drooled all over the 1190 R . She said it's sexy as hell . Well maybe it is . I sat on it , it felt good . Loved the colours .

But damn ,if I read all the crap that's going with this bike I might consider it in 5 years when KTM so-called engineers has their ducks in a row .

I have a 2005,5 950 Adventure and had it since new . It has been dropped dogged . Whatever you can do to it . 2 trips to Moab , Leadville , Colrado , Grand Canyon , Outer banks , and NEVER , ever let me down . She is paid for , and still almost everyday I ride she puts a HUGE GRIN on my face .

Even my wife asked me , why do I always grin like that coming from work , or just a ride .

I told her , simple the best damn SEXIEST bike ever , witha lot of juice on tap . She was even comparing her to the bike . I left it at that .

So KTM get your act together , and maybe you will have another 1190 R sold .
adrenalin-junkie is offline   Reply With Quote