Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #61
OrangeV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeks View Post
If you've only got the OEM filter, by all reports so far, you're probably sucking dirty air. The stock airbox doesn't seal properly. You NEED the Unifilter kit. If you've done any riding in dirty conditions, you could well have dusted your motor and might have damaged valves, rings etc.

This would probably affect the whole rev range in all gears, and make the bike hard to start, so I don't think this is the cause of your problem. But regardless, you should get the updated filter ASAP.

The other possibility is it's a fueling/mapping issue. If it's only doing it in first gear in a certain rev range, I would think this more likely. But it's odd that its only started now....In any case, with that all managed by electronics, it could be anything, so you have no choice - it's off to the dealer to have it plugged into the KTM computer.

I guess there are *some* advantages to those rusty old 950 carburettors, eh?
How can he be sucking dirty air, he lives in London and his bike wouldnt see dirt.

The other thing to consider is that you may have it in Urban mode.

Flick it into Sports mode and give it a massive blast up the highway and then check it...
OrangeV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #62
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeV View Post
How can he be sucking dirty air, he lives in London and his bike wouldnt see dirt.
Its a different sort of dirty air gasoline soot replacing desert dust.
Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #63
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
I've ridden in normal traffic jams and heavily filled narrow Norwegian roads in bad weather.

The accumulated layers of moisture-laden dust and muckfilled dirt I washed off the visor and helmet after each ride proves the simple fact that even paved roads and non-desert riding conditions kan expose a motorcycle engine to grinding paste ingestion.

Luckily for KTM -Oz manufacturer Unifilter has solved the original airbox design flaws with their airbox gasket- and air filter replacement kit.

One should also expect airbox design improvements from KTM after this.
The targeted customer group demands a solid warranty- and design-flaw followup on such an advanced and technically complex bike.

Forget 15 000 km service intervals with the original airbox design and paper air filter. Pop those 28 screws, panels and fuel tank off more frequently to be certain engine heat has not warped the airbox untight and allowed premature dust and water ingression.

At least 50 1190's of the 7700 sold have had engine warranty cases because of this.
Better safe than sorry and inspect/rectify frequently with this beast ;-)
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100

F650Dakar_Norway screwed with this post 12-05-2013 at 12:41 PM
F650Dakar_Norway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #64
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
My dusted 1190 R has now been at the dealers for nearly 2 weeks and the dealer has been waiting for direction from KTM for a week. Not nearly good enough in my books.

Thinking of asking the dealer for my money back if this goes on much longer.

Check out my blog and let me know what you think
FuzzyDunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #65
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyDunlop View Post
My dusted 1190 R has now been at the dealers for nearly 2 weeks and the dealer has been waiting for direction from KTM for a week. Not nearly good enough in my books.

Has there been a leak down test in conjunction with compression testing of the cylinders?

We would all like to know what a "dusted 1190" really looks like. I'd be just as pi$$ed as you if my expensive new bike went down. I'm simply looking for the data about the results on the mechanical pieces involved.

Thanks and good luck.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #66
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
Has there been a leak down test in conjunction with compression testing of the cylinders?

We would all like to know what a "dusted 1190" really looks like. I'd be just as pi$$ed as you if my expensive new bike went down. I'm simply looking for the data about the results on the mechanical pieces involved.

Thanks and good luck.
Yes the valves are considerably askew and there is not enough compression to start the engine, and possibly a sticky piston. Dust in the airbox and on the butterflies. Engine hasnt been stripped yet but suspect damage to rings at the very least.

I have asked for a new engine. Buggered if I'm going to roll the dice on a repair after only owning it for a month.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #67
CanningOz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyDunlop View Post

I had what I thought might have been the same problem. After 5,000 kms mostly on road, and only around 300 kms dirt, the engine started to miss, not cleanly rev through and to drop power. I asked the dealer (Peter Stevens) to check airbox and install unifilter and they told me the airbox wasn't sealing at all, with dust distributed throughout.

They reset the ECU (removed the KTM bad fuel dongle) and that appears to have got the engine running cleanly again. I asked for a dyno run, and the bike has only 127rwhp. Am worried it's been damaged too, as had expected it to be closer to 135 - 140. It also took 2 weeks in the dealer to fix it, and I'm not sure if has really been fixed, or now a problem waiting to happen.
CanningOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #68
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanningOz View Post
I had what I thought might have been the same problem. After 5,000 kms mostly on road, and only around 300 kms dirt, the engine started to miss, not cleanly rev through and to drop power. I asked the dealer (Peter Stevens) to check airbox and install unifilter and they told me the airbox wasn't sealing at all, with dust distributed throughout.

They reset the ECU (removed the KTM bad fuel dongle) and that appears to have got the engine running cleanly again. I asked for a dyno run, and the bike has only 127rwhp. Am worried it's been damaged too, as had expected it to be closer to 135 - 140. It also took 2 weeks in the dealer to fix it, and I'm not sure if has really been fixed, or now a problem waiting to happen.
Sorry to hear that mate. Probably worth checking the valves to see if there's any sign of wear.

Mine crapped out (unfortunately in Jindabyne) at 4.5k kms of mostly road use. Did around 500 kms of dusty dirt roads on the way up there, with some very dusty air at times, and it refused to start a few days later.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #69
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeks View Post
If you've only got the OEM filter, by all reports so far, you're probably sucking dirty air. The stock airbox doesn't seal properly. You NEED the Unifilter kit. If you've done any riding in dirty conditions, you could well have dusted your motor and might have damaged valves, rings etc.

This would probably affect the whole rev range in all gears, and make the bike hard to start, so I don't think this is the cause of your problem. But regardless, you should get the updated filter ASAP.

The other possibility is it's a fueling/mapping issue. If it's only doing it in first gear in a certain rev range, I would think this more likely. But it's odd that its only started now....In any case, with that all managed by electronics, it could be anything, so you have no choice - it's off to the dealer to have it plugged into the KTM computer.

I guess there are *some* advantages to those rusty old 950 carburettors, eh?
I think you are right :) the bike very difficult to start when it's cold. And also I didn't do too much dirt may be just 25 miles max. But It rains a lot in here and getting colder. The bike is fantastic but this little issues all becomes bigger problems.

Next year I like to travel from London to Istanbul with afew mates but a little worry about this bike. My Kawasaki zx14r used to be rock solid never had any problems . I sometimes wondering do I really do the right thing to buy a ktm.
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #70
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar View Post
Next year I like to travel from London to Istanbul with afew mates but a little worry about this bike. My Kawasaki zx14r used to be rock solid never had any problems . I sometimes wondering do I really do the right thing to buy a ktm.
It really depends on what kind of an owner you are. Performance has a price.

If you just want a thing you put gas in, go fast on, and nothing much else, no - maybe you haven't got the right bike.

KTM's tend to need a much more involved owner. They have niggles you have to keep on top of. If you do, they're fantastic bikes that last for ages. If you don't they become major problems and make the bike a chore.

The early 950's were riddled with problems. I know, I have one. I know you hate them, but mines ten years old now with 60 000 miles, and it's still putting out more HP than it did when it was new. I've had to spend a lot of hours in the shed with it too, and I don't mind that, because I get a bike that can still flog bikes off the showroom floor.

I'm sure in ten years the 1190 will be the same, and still better than any the competition...but the people who still have them will be the ones who accepted the little problems, and put the time to fix them.

The airbox is the first one, and thankfully, the fix is pretty simple, so why not do it?
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #71
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
[QUOTE=CanningOz;22936768] I asked for a dyno run, and the bike has only 127rwhp. Am worried it's been damaged too, as had expected it to be closer to 135 - 140.QUOTE]

Why would you expect 135 - 140 rwhp? Have you seen other 1190's make that sort of power on the same dyno? I'm just curious cause I would have thought 125 ish would be the norm? At 127 rwhp I would think yours is running good and strong, but I have not seen any dyno results so am just guessing.
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #72
CanningOz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
[QUOTE=motomuppet;22949663]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanningOz View Post
I asked for a dyno run, and the bike has only 127rwhp. Am worried it's been damaged too, as had expected it to be closer to 135 - 140.QUOTE]

Why would you expect 135 - 140 rwhp? Have you seen other 1190's make that sort of power on the same dyno? I'm just curious cause I would have thought 125 ish would be the norm? At 127 rwhp I would think yours is running good and strong, but I have not seen any dyno results so am just guessing.

You may well be right that it is healthy at 127 RWHP, but I am concerned about the amount of dust that has been through the engine, and also the loss seems fairly high. I can't find any other reliable 1190 Dyno power reference point on the Internet, but I have seen a lot of Multistrada's which I note have the same published 150hp, but the dyno tests seems consistently 135 - 140rwhp.

This seems similar to two other bikes that I own that have been on the dyno, and these were my S1000RR tested at 178rwhp vs 189 published, and my Ducati 998s at 139 rwhp vs published the same figure of 139.
CanningOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #73
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=CanningOz;22950099]
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomuppet View Post

You may well be right that it is healthy at 127 RWHP, but I am concerned about the amount of dust that has been through the engine, and also the loss seems fairly high. I can't find any other reliable 1190 Dyno power reference point on the Internet, but I have seen a lot of Multistrada's which I note have the same published 150hp, but the dyno tests seems consistently 135 - 140rwhp.

This seems similar to two other bikes that I own that have been on the dyno, and these were my S1000RR tested at 178rwhp vs 189 published, and my Ducati 998s at 139 rwhp vs published the same figure of 139.
Fair enough being concerned about the dust, given everything we are hearing about the issue. Hopefully it is a very limited number of bikes affected.

Will be interested to see what the norm RWHP is for the 1190.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #74
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,174
From a 950 Owner

Yep, the 1190 looks really cool, but I'm so happy to not have any electronic stuff. No abs, EFI, stand sensors, tilt sensors, etc. And when we fall on a sandy fire road, I pick the beast up, smile and ride on.
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '08 KTM 450XCR-W (selling), Husky 360WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #75
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuckaroo68 View Post
Yep, the 1190 looks really cool, but I'm so happy to not have any electronic stuff. No abs, EFI, stand sensors, tilt sensors, etc. And when we fall on a sandy fire road, I pick the beast up, smile and ride on.
Glad you like your bike. I dropped my 1190 offroad for the first time last sat. I went to spin the bike around...like doing a donut...done it a thousand times before on other bikes...but forgot about the traction control....hit the gas with the bike leant over and it launched forward rather than spinning up and turning! Was very funny....I was taken out by the traction control! No damage to me or the bike.

The abs offroad is absolutley amazing. So is the TC....mostly! On the way home, on a deserted highway bike was humming along at 6k rpm and 180kmph on the speedo...felt like it could sit there comfortably all day. It may have some flaws, but it is an amazing bike!