Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #76
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
[QUOTE=CanningOz;22950099]
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomuppet View Post

You may well be right that it is healthy at 127 RWHP, but I am concerned about the amount of dust that has been through the engine, and also the loss seems fairly high. I can't find any other reliable 1190 Dyno power reference point on the Internet, but I have seen a lot of Multistrada's which I note have the same published 150hp, but the dyno tests seems consistently 135 - 140rwhp.

This seems similar to two other bikes that I own that have been on the dyno, and these were my S1000RR tested at 178rwhp vs 189 published, and my Ducati 998s at 139 rwhp vs published the same figure of 139.
Just found this link:

http://www.billysbikes.co.za/tests/1...dventures.html

These guys tested a standard and an R model on the same dyno and got the same rear wheel hp for both bikes: 127. You may have sucked some dust but good news is it does not look like it is hurting power at all.
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:24 AM   #77
CanningOz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Thanks a lot muppet. This really is welcome reassurance.
CanningOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #78
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanningOz View Post
Thanks a lot muppet. This really is welcome reassurance.
No worries man...I feel your pain! haha
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #79
jmorrison
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Buying a 2014 1190r

Hi guys i just put down $1k to have my bike sent in january here to costa rica.

I have many options, bmw12oogs, triumph tiger, yamahas super tenere, etc,etc but i just love the looks of this hooligan bike and the nature of the dirtbike spirit of the bike....i will ride it the wy it is meant to be...

My doubts are the heat issue of the engine but it is solvable but im reeeeaaallyyy worried of the dust in the engine issue

has this been addressed for the 2014's? My dealer here says yes but i have my doubts...i would rather spend a couple more bucks, or have them do it for me, and get the unifilter...

Where can i but this that is not australia....can we get this in the us?

Please let me know, i really dont want to go down bmw avenue...

Here it is 34k vs 24k on the ktm and i really believe the 1190r and i will really enjoy each other!!!

Thanks
jmorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #80
OrangeV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorrison View Post
Hi guys i just put down $1k to have my bike sent in january here to costa rica.

I have many options, bmw12oogs, triumph tiger, yamahas super tenere, etc,etc but i just love the looks of this hooligan bike and the nature of the dirtbike spirit of the bike....i will ride it the wy it is meant to be...

My doubts are the heat issue of the engine but it is solvable but im reeeeaaallyyy worried of the dust in the engine issue

has this been addressed for the 2014's? My dealer here says yes but i have my doubts...i would rather spend a couple more bucks, or have them do it for me, and get the unifilter...

Where can i but this that is not australia....can we get this in the us?

Please let me know, i really dont want to go down bmw avenue...

Here it is 34k vs 24k on the ktm and i really believe the 1190r and i will really enjoy each other!!!

Thanks
I think that once you recieve your 2014 R model, it would be wise to fit the Unifilter, as you will be using this model more for the dirt/bush than road. The heat issue is there just open you ineer leg slightly to let the heat escape... Im not sure how bad this is as i dont have the bike.
Once you again you need to make a personal decision based on the knowledge and information you have.
I have sold my K1300S BMW to get on a 2014 1190 with EDS.
NO test ride at all, so this is a big call on my part, I never purchased a bike without a test ride........ Anyhow life is very short so live a little...
But hey what do I know....
Old 12-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #81
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 779
Order straight from uni filter Australia. They ship right to Costa Rica.

http://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-us/d321.html
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:39 AM   #82
jmorrison
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird View Post
Order straight from uni filter Australia. They ship right to Costa Rica.

http://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-us/d321.html
thanks..I am not going to risk it!!

going to get the dealer to pay for it though!!!
Old 12-12-2013, 06:03 AM   #83
manxkipper
Fishpistel

Oddometer: 321
I will be taking delivery of my 2014 R on saturday and will definitely have a good look at the airbox to ensure they have remedied the dust problem. The unifilter is at best an interim fix as it will limit air flow with all that filtration media.
2014 KTM 1190R
manxkipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #84
jmorrison
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by manxkipper View Post
I will be taking delivery of my 2014 R on saturday and will definitely have a good look at the airbox to ensure they have remedied the dust problem. The unifilter is at best an interim fix as it will limit air flow with all that filtration media.
should I take my personal mechanic to check this bike out before I take delivery?

I really don't want issues as the bike will be putting at least 50% of its time on gravel roads, beaches, etc...

And I am accustomed to the " no worries" from dealership get your money and then all the B.S. that we have to wait for the factory to say something bit...

And I do have the option of a GS but fuck its 10k more than the 1190r and I really prefer the KTM over the BMW besides the extra 10k in aquisition expense.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #85
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by manxkipper View Post
As Filterman from Unifilter has pointed out - the stock 2013 filterbox heat-warped and the filter retension mechanism applies pressure on top of the paper filter unit - allowing dust to creep past the two filterbox halves as well as risking to pass the filter unit itself.

My own theory:
The two intake snorkels up front combined with the relative small size of the paper air filter may also contribute to the water- and dust ingression problems some 2013 owners have experienced.

This 150hp beast sucks a lot of air, and compared to the big desert-proven filter of my 690 RFR the 1190 unit appears undersized and flawed.

When/if I invest in an 1190 R in 2015/2016 I'll most certainly install the Unifilter kit permanently before riding a single meter.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100

F650Dakar_Norway screwed with this post 12-12-2013 at 09:11 AM
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #86
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Thumb

Reference. First exhaustive and complete explanation of the 2013 filterbox design flaws. 2014 models are said to have modified filterbox shell halves with different part numbers than the debut year.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=5386
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
Old 12-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #87
manxkipper
Fishpistel

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by F650Dakar_Norway View Post

My own theory:
The two intake snorkels up front combined with the relative small size of the paper air filter may also contribute to the water- and dust ingression problems some 2013 owners have experienced.

You may well be correct given that the sports bikes I have owned in the past with pressurised airboxes all have had filters that are oiled foam, and have had sufficient surface area to cope with pressured air. I will know shortly whether I will need to apply my mind to an effective solution with the KTM!
2014 KTM 1190R
manxkipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #88
gozer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by F650Dakar_Norway View Post
Reference. First exhaustive and complete explanation of the 2013 filterbox design flaws. 2014 models are said to have modified filterbox shell halves with different part numbers than the debut year.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=5386
i'm curious if the current unifilter kit will work with the new design. I'm half tempted to just order one before my bike shows up...
gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #89
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Uni Filter

Thanks Filterman...filters arrived and installed. Should be working a treat.

My make shift solution to stop water intake into the intake tubes...cut a lip int he buttom and push it up. Water can now easily drain and the lip forms a small barrier...unless you're completely submerged then your screwed of course:)

Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #90
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozer View Post
i'm curious if the current unifilter kit will work with the new design. I'm half tempted to just order one before my bike shows up...
The stock air filter is paper, while most dirt bikes preferrably run with oiled foam filters - both for maintenance/reuse and pure filtering qualities.

Had the air filter and filterbox not been hidden beneath 28 screws, plastic panels and the tank I guess I would have taken the chance - given better access for inspection and maintenance, air filter change etc.

Given all those unbolting and removal factors I most certainly won't take any chances when or if I buy an 1190 R in a couple of years; I'd go straight at the problem cause and promptly preinstall the Unifilter solution before cranking it up the first time.

Better safe than sorry.

Unbolting those 28 screws, remove those panels and take off that 23 litre fuel tank each time an air filter and filterbox inspection is due - in the middle of nowhere? Might become standard procedure in dusty conditions.

And like Filterman says - this bike has a roadbike air filter setup.
I.e. not ideally suited for rough, dusty conditions.

The 1190 filter setup with Unifilter installed.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7441321&type=3

versus the KTM 690 Rally Replica ditto.
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9334/dscn3751z.jpg

On the 690RFR I can simply pop off the seat with two Dzuz fasteners and swap filter unit in a couple of minutes.

Horses for courses ;-)
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100