ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #91
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
And for newbs - here's Nerb's user review of the Unifilter kit.

2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #92
Nerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
A new problem.... probably not isolated to the 1190, but all modern bikes?
The bolts holding the two halves of the lever assemblies (where the mirrors are mounted) are grade 10.9 bolts, but are screwed into aluminium housings. I crashed enough times on the weekend that the mirror hitting the ground put enough force on this connection to pull the thread out of the bracket. The mirror didnt break and the bolt is fine! I guess I'll be re-tapping the housing and picking up some larger bolts?
Nerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:03 AM   #93
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerb View Post
The bolts holding the two halves of the lever assemblies (where the mirrors are mounted) are grade 10.9 bolts, but are screwed into aluminium housings. I crashed enough times on the weekend that the mirror hitting the ground put enough force on this connection to pull the thread out of the bracket. The mirror didnt break and the bolt is fine! I guess I'll be re-tapping the housing and picking up some larger bolts?
Maybe change the setup if you plan to keep on crashing. Dirtbikes have mirrors that fold away when going off-road.
Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:21 AM   #94
Nerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble_CH View Post
Maybe change the setup if you plan to keep on crashing. Dirtbikes have mirrors that fold away when going off-road.
True. I should have taken them off. The mirrors are tuff though!
Nerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:25 AM   #95
Jensdccom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Is there anyone that can confirm that the dust problem is solved with the 2014 model? I'm thinking about getting a unifilter kit as soon as it is delivered, however I'm also wondering if it will have an effect on the performance of the bike.

I read here somewhere that the maximum speed was significantly lower with the unifilter.
Jensdccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #96
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

Oddometer: 292
Yes, it would be down from 270 to 240. But I would prefer a little more science behind this, like tests on a dyno before/after.

Also you could not use the pre- filters if you do not plan to go in real dust. Or make a choice if it should be ready to race or ready to rally.

Sent from my IBM Simon using morse
Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #97
Tancakar
Banned

Oddometer: 367
Just sort out my bike's caught, it wasn't the air filter after I charge my battery she feels amazing again :)
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #98
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar View Post
Just sort out my bike's caught, it wasn't the air filter after I charge my battery she feels amazing again :)
That is what you get for letting these people who have never even seen one diagnose your bike over the internet!!!! Shame on them and shame on you for listening. We keep hearing from one guy here how bad this is and how someone needs to do something and how there needs to be a solution to taking out 20 some bolts to get to the airfilter - hell I can take out 20 bolts before he ends up typing!!!!

A good lesson for everyone - glad your bike runs amazing!!

What is amazing - is all the technology on this incredible bike, which is a great leap forward in the adventure market - and the only issue is possibly a few air box leaks. Get a Unifilter from Australia and STFU.

Imagine - all these on board ECMs and this is all they have to bitch about - GREAT JOB KTM!!!

And to all the 9x0 owners who want to deny that this bike is a step forward - you are kidding yourself if you think the bike you ride is the same as Meoni won the Dakar on - it is not. I don't want a Dakar bike - I can't afford engine changes after stages, mechanics working all night so I can ride the next day, support trucks for days - Enough already. The bike has the trellis frame, WP suspension, V-Twin engine, spoke wheels, and yes - electronics (welcome to 80 automotive tech.)
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:38 AM   #99
dragos
Belzebut

Oddometer: 784
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird View Post
That is what you get for letting these people who have never even seen one diagnose your bike over the internet!!!! Shame on them and shame on you for listening. We keep hearing from one guy here how bad this is and how someone needs to do something and how there needs to be a solution to taking out 20 some bolts to get to the airfilter - hell I can take out 20 bolts before he ends up typing!!!!

What is amazing - is all the technology on this incredible bike, which is a great leap forward in the adventure market - and the only issue is possibly a few air box leaks. Get a Unifilter from Australia and STFU.

Imagine - all these on board ECMs and this is all they have to bitch about - GREAT JOB KTM!!!

And to all the 9x0 owners who want to deny that this bike is a step forward - you are kidding yourself if you think the bike you ride is the same as Meoni won the Dakar on - it is not. I don't want a Dakar bike - I can't afford engine changes after stages, mechanics working all night so I can ride the next day, support trucks for days - Enough already. The bike has the trellis frame, WP suspension, V-Twin engine, spoke wheels, and yes - electronics (welcome to 80 automotive tech.)
KTM evangelism at its best.
dragos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:18 AM   #100
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragos View Post
KTM evangelism at its best.
I can't wait to hear what he says once he actually gets his bike
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:37 AM   #101
Jensdccom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I'm still waiting for someone with a 2014 model who can take pictures of the new filterbox. Because the partnumbers have changed, there is a good chance the problem was solved.
Jensdccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:19 AM   #102
Tancakar
Banned

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird View Post

Well I am assuming if I would have done lots of miles on dust or dirt , I may be would have had a problem with the air filter. My battery needed charging in my case. But still booked a diagnose for next week Wednesday at ktm Croydon.

They will put , under seat heat protection, upload new upgrade for the ECU , check my battery again and also they might even looked at my air filter if they feel like there is problem. This bike is a sort of bike when your body is tired it doesn't feel very nice. Punchy twin may be :)

Hopefully this little problems get sorted my main problem was the gear changes they will look at it this week .
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #103
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,568
KTM Twins sells a bracket that allows you to move the mirror mount off of the lever bracket(s) for the 9x0. It would probably work on the 1190.

Alternatively, order a set of Ned's (Neduro on the forum) Doubletake fold away mirrors. http://www.doubletakemirror.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerb View Post

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #104
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Out riding in 30 degree c + temps last week and a message pops up on the info screen. " caution ice warning"

Temp is stuck on -10. Seems I have had a sensor failure.
This on top of side stand spring failure and it's been back for several of the tech updates

Back to the dealer I go. Me and him are becoming good friends.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:05 PM   #105
CanningOz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Another one.

Went to change the rear tyre last week, and once changed the wheel started leaking air from the spokes. Removed tyre, can't see anything wrong....but rim still leaks and I might have to put a tube in it and lose the pressure monitoring sensor.

Would much prefer not to lose this, and would really appreciate if anyone has some ideas on re-sealing the internal rim seal.
CanningOz is offline   Reply With Quote