User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #106
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Uni Pre Filter

Does the gas tank need to be removed to access the pre-filter in the snorkels?
PatSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #107
Tom@s
1190 Adv R

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSmith View Post
Does the gas tank need to be removed to access the pre-filter in the snorkels?
Gastank can be left, just remove the sidepanels, not too much work...

Tom@s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #108
Lars
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanningOz View Post
Another one.

Went to change the rear tyre last week, and once changed the wheel started leaking air from the spokes. Removed tyre, can't see anything wrong....but rim still leaks and I might have to put a tube in it and lose the pressure monitoring sensor.

Would much prefer not to lose this, and would really appreciate if anyone has some ideas on re-sealing the internal rim seal.
Same happend to me then the dealer changed the rear tyre. They damaged the rimseal and had to replace it for a new one. Bad luck. The pressure monitoring sensor was twisted and damaged the rimseal. The space between the rim and the pressure monitoring sensor is realy narrow. So watch out for this then changing tyres.
Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #109
Mowster
Stressed Member

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
Same happend to me then the dealer changed the rear tyre. They damaged the rimseal and had to replace it for a new one. Bad luck. The pressure monitoring sensor was twisted and damaged the rimseal. The space between the rim and the pressure monitoring sensor is realy narrow. So watch out for this then changing tyres.
Thanks for the info!
Old 12-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #110
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom@s View Post
Gastank can be left, just remove the sidepanels, not too much work...

Thank you.
PatSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #111
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird View Post
That is what you get for letting these people who have never even seen one diagnose your bike over the internet!!!! Shame on them and shame on you for listening. We keep hearing from one guy here how bad this is and how someone needs to do something and how there needs to be a solution to taking out 20 some bolts to get to the airfilter - hell I can take out 20 bolts before he ends up typing!!!!

A good lesson for everyone - glad your bike runs amazing!!

What is amazing - is all the technology on this incredible bike, which is a great leap forward in the adventure market - and the only issue is possibly a few air box leaks. Get a Unifilter from Australia and STFU.

Imagine - all these on board ECMs and this is all they have to bitch about - GREAT JOB KTM!!!

And to all the 9x0 owners who want to deny that this bike is a step forward - you are kidding yourself if you think the bike you ride is the same as Meoni won the Dakar on - it is not. I don't want a Dakar bike - I can't afford engine changes after stages, mechanics working all night so I can ride the next day, support trucks for days - Enough already. The bike has the trellis frame, WP suspension, V-Twin engine, spoke wheels, and yes - electronics (welcome to 80 automotive tech.)
LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar View Post
Just sort out my bike's caught, it wasn't the air filter after I charge my battery she feels amazing again :)
Curious. Do you know why the battery was discharged? If you're riding it regularly it seems strange that it needs charging on its own.
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:11 AM   #112
CanningOz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
Thanks Lars. This was exactly what was wrong. The tyre pressure sensor rotates around the valve easily when a tyre lever brushes against it, and it pinches the inside rim seal to the rim itself (actually in my case it was the top of a spoke nipple. The rim seal is made from very thin rubber, and just the tiniest pinch make a hole....and your wheel won't hold air.

We vulcanised a patch to the rim seal and it seems fine now, but I ordered a spare rim seal and will carry it with me on longer trips.
CanningOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:23 AM   #113
CanningOz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Another small thing that I don't actually know is a problem....

The front end has developed a clunk when braking, that is audible at slow speed.

I thought it was loose head bearings so I took off the top triple clamp and tightened the head bearings (which were a little loose), reassembled, and tightened every bolt on the front end. (Ie. brake calipers, low triple clamp, mudguard bolts etc.)

Much to my surprise it still clunks, and you can do this whilst stationery holding the front brake on, and standing over the bike, and oscillating the suspension through around 100mm of stroke.

The clunk is quite pronounced (you feel it through the bars, and can hear it from 3m away), and my wife felt all over the front end and thinks it's coming from inside the fork legs. (Not sure which one, she says it feels like both)

None of my other bikes do this, including my FE570 Husaberg which also has a white power front end, and it's smooth through it's stroke. (I know the damping chambers are different to the 1190)

Would really like to know if this clunk is normal, as we're about to head off on a long trip, and with a few other things going wrong, my confidence in the bike is a little low.

Would anyone with an 1190 R please check if your front end clunks too?
CanningOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:41 AM   #114
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:

The front end has developed a clunk when braking, that is audible at slow speed.

I thought it was loose head bearings so I took off the top triple clamp and tightened the head bearings (which were a little loose), reassembled, and tightened every bolt on the front end. (Ie. brake calipers, low triple clamp, mudguard bolts etc.)

Much to my surprise it still clunks, and you can do this whilst stationery holding the front brake on, and standing over the bike, and oscillating the suspension through around 100mm of stroke.

The clunk is quite pronounced (you feel it through the bars, and can hear it from 3m away), and my wife felt all over the front end and thinks it's coming from inside the fork legs. (Not sure which one, she says it feels like both)

None of my other bikes do this, including my FE570 Husaberg which also has a white power front end, and it's smooth through it's stroke. (I know the damping chambers are different to the 1190)

Would really like to know if this clunk is normal, as we're about to head off on a long trip, and with a few other things going wrong, my confidence in the bike is a little low.

Had this too but it was a loose head bearing. Tightening the upper nuts did the job for me...
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:45 AM   #115
Tom@s
1190 Adv R

Quote:

I have exaktly the same sound, do not know what it is and my dealer has examined it and have not found something wrong or what it could be?
sound occurs when you brakes a little bit heavier at low speeds, and even after braking when driving away. I have had the "problem" since the bike was new, now it has run absolut 850 km and the sound is still there.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:48 AM   #116
Tom@s
1190 Adv R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsica101 View Post
Had this too but it was a loose head bearing. Tightening the upper nuts did the job for me...
Could you show which bolt it is, on a picture maybe, please?
Old 12-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #117
limcheewang
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Side stand

Hi guys,
I've just covered about 2000 km on my new 1190 (non-R). One of the most annoying design of this bike is its side stand. I think the supporting point of this stand is very close to the centre line of the bike. With the side stand down and on slopes (declining to the left), I always have a feeling that it may tip over if I just come off my bike. I always end up moving or re-orientating my bike to a location that I feel more confident. I never have this problem with my previous bikes.

My dealer told me that the 2014 version has a different side stand, and my side and centre stands will be changed next month (under warranty). However, he is not sure if it addresses my above concern.

I wonder if this is a real problem, or it is just me. Perhaps I should have more confident with the design, just get off the bike and let the side stand do its job.
limcheewang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:06 AM   #118
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
I'm starting to feel guilty having to say this Phil, but mine's not making a clunky noise either...
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:35 AM   #119
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 602
Quote:

I've also had my front tightened by the dealer, but still "feel" clunking whilst riding the bike, through the steering - not sure where the problem lies, but a bit concerning
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:17 AM   #120
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom@s View Post
Could you show which bolt it is, on a picture maybe, please?
The bike is being shipped right now so can't sent a pick but it the one just under the handle bar with the holes in it. It does need a certain torque value...
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote