ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #46
Ritalin Boy OP
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,133
Big News!

In addition to the GS Challenge, mountain rides and the Rip Van Winkle 300 there is going to be a party Saturday night!

That's right we're going to be able to get together and enjoy each others company over a beer and a pasta supper.

MAX BMW Motorcycles is sponsoring the party and will be providing each attendee a cold beer along with a chance to win some wicked door prizes.

The dinner is included with registration for the GS Challenge or the Rip Van Winkle 300. For those not participating in either event tickets for the party (including a chance for the door prizes) will be available.

Registration for the Rip Van Winkle 300 is open now, registration for the GS Challenge will open soon.

Ritalin Boy screwed with this post 09-12-2013 at 10:08 AM
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #47
techgeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
GS Challenge etc

Hello,

Thinking of bringing my GS out to the color in the catskills meet up.

How rough is the GS Challenge ride? Can I do OK with 50/50 tires on it? Is full riding gear a requirement?

Also, is this the sort of thing you could bring your girl with you if she enjoys camping and riding? I realize some of the rides are best 1up but will there be other things to keep her busy if she can't ride along?

It sounds like there are little/no facilities for the campers.. would it be better to get a room nearby?

Thanks for any insight/advice!
techgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #48
RedPower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
Big News!

In addition to the GS Challenge, mountain rides and the Rip Van Winkle 300 there is going to be a party Saturday night!

That's right we're going to be able to get together and enjoy each others company over a beer and a pasta supper.

MAX BMW Motorcycles is sponsoring the party and will be providing each attendee a cold beer along with a chance to win some wicked door prizes.

The dinner is included with registration for the GS Challenge or the Rip Van Winkle 300. For those not participating in either event tickets for the party (including a chance for the door prizes) will be available.

Registration for the Rip Van Winkle 300 is open now, registration for the GS Challenge will open soon.

Sounds Great!

Few questions on GS Challenge:
Is it open to all brands of bikes?
Will there be different classes for say; Engine size? Tires?
I take it will be a timed event, will it include timed runs up the mountain

Thanks in Advance!
Old 09-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #49
rdalland
Dharma Bun

Oddometer: 311
From a few years ago.

Skip to 2:30

my ponytail at 0:45
Old 09-13-2013, 06:44 AM   #50
Ritalin Boy OP
Petroconsumptivitius

Quote:
Originally Posted by techgeek View Post
Hello,

Thinking of bringing my GS out to the color in the catskills meet up.

How rough is the GS Challenge ride? Can I do OK with 50/50 tires on it? Is full riding gear a requirement?

Also, is this the sort of thing you could bring your girl with you if she enjoys camping and riding? I realize some of the rides are best 1up but will there be other things to keep her busy if she can't ride along?

It sounds like there are little/no facilities for the campers.. would it be better to get a room nearby?

Thanks for any insight/advice!
Greetings,

This is a perfect event to bring friends.

During the day there is a full on Oktoberfest with food, vendors and some light entertainment. The chairlift ride to the summit is pretty cool and you could time it so she is at the summit when you are. With the addition of the pasta and beer party Saturday night it should be a very social weekend.

You are correct that the camping is not top shelf, i.e. no showers but otherwise it's ok but it *is* October.

If you're up for spending some money staying at the Katskill Mountain Resort can't be beat for a romantic weekend. Bar downstairs and the hot tub and pool are nice amenities. There are also some places in town that are much more reasonable.

As for the challenge itself if you're really, really good you would probably be *ok* on 50/50 tires, however if you do I'm going to make sure I'm well positioned to see you try a few things.

In all seriousness the Challenge will be a great time. It will be challenging but not crazy and there will be plenty of people to cheer you on or help pick you up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPower View Post
Sounds Great!

Few questions on GS Challenge:
Is it open to all brands of bikes?
Will there be different classes for say; Engine size? Tires?
I take it will be a timed event, will it include timed runs up the mountain

Thanks in Advance!
The GS Challenge is open to all brands and sizes of bikes.

We will have classes based on whatever criteria we like, this will be done at signup.

If you're looking for classes based on tire selection than we'll need a hopeless class for the folks that want to do this on street tires.

The GS Challenge will have some timed sections. On some the reward will be for who takes the *most* time, others it may be for who takes the least. What I think will happen is the timed sections will have point values for ranges of time. For example should there be a nasty hill climb and the average time of the staff is 45 seconds; a riders time of less than 50 seconds equals zero, 50 to 60 is 1 point, 60-70 is two points, etc. with additional points for dabs or drops.

As always everything is subject to change in the name of adding fun!
Old 09-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #51
techgeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
uh oh, now it's on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
As for the challenge itself if you're really, really good you would probably be *ok* on 50/50 tires, however if you do I'm going to make sure I'm well positioned to see you try a few things.

In all seriousness the Challenge will be a great time. It will be challenging but not crazy and there will be plenty of people to cheer you on or help pick you up.

The GS Challenge is open to all brands and sizes of bikes.

We will have classes based on whatever criteria we like, this will be done at signup.

If you're looking for classes based on tire selection than we'll need a hopeless class for the folks that want to do this on street tires.

The GS Challenge will have some timed sections. On some the reward will be for who takes the *most* time, others it may be for who takes the least. What I think will happen is the timed sections will have point values for ranges of time. For example should there be a nasty hill climb and the average time of the staff is 45 seconds; a riders time of less than 50 seconds equals zero, 50 to 60 is 1 point, 60-70 is two points, etc. with additional points for dabs or drops.

As always everything is subject to change in the name of adding fun!

Great.. now I've *got* to at least give it a try on my el-cheapo Full Bore M40 tires.. ;) (which so far seem to be holding up OK...)

Challenge ACCEPTED!
techgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #52
Rodknee
Aggrivator

Oddometer: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by techgeek View Post
Challenge ACCEPTED!
that is the spirit!
NY to Inuvik to Deadhorse Aug 14'
2014 Rides: Katie M Big girl & Berg Hoon'icycle
RIP Buddy 1999-2014
Rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:23 AM   #53
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,138
Thinking about coming up Sat. with the Ms.

Anyone know if leashed pets are OK?

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #54
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 931
Looks like I'm headed up with the wifey for the weekend! Can't wait....
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #55
rdalland
Dharma Bun

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
From the Hunter Oktoberfest website:

Dog Policy Dogs are welcome at the outdoor portion of this event however; they are required to be on a leash of no more than 6 feet long. Dogs are not permitted in any of the buildings on property. Dogs are not permitted on the Skyride. Do not leave your dog unattended at any time. Hunter Mountain reserves the right to request that any dog be removed from the festival grounds for any reason. Please be considerate of others and the environment pick up after your dog.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #56
Ritalin Boy OP
Petroconsumptivitius

Greetings,

This just in.

Party, Party, Party! Let's get together for some beer and pasta!

Saturday evening MAX BMW Motorcycles will be sponsoring a "low brow" dinner party featuring pasta with meat sauce, bread, salad and the always popular sheet cake for dessert.

As it is Oktoberfest there will be plenty of excellent beer and your first one is on Max!

If that's not enough MAX BMW is going to provide some door prizes. I heard a rumor that the grand prize might even be a riding suit.

The party is included in your entry in either the GS Challenge or the Rip Van Winkle 300 or you can buy tickets to the party. Everyone will be eligible to win the door prizes, however you must be present to win.

To recap here's what's planned for the "new look" Color in the Catskills.

Guided Dual Sport Rides:

These are what everyone is familiar with however thanks to the good folks at Hunter we now have much more terrain to work with so we'll be adding some single track. We may even have rides of different levels, however it is highly recommended that everyone have knobbies.

THE GS CHALLENGE:

This is a fun event that will challenge you in many different ways. There will be some mud, logs, water crossings, hill climbs, descents and other skills test. Score will be kept and the top riders will receive fabulous prizes.

THE RIP VAN WINKLE 300:

This is an 8hr scavenger hunt similar to the Iron Butt Rally, only 256 hours shorter. Riders will be given a .GPX file with all the locations before the start and a book with instructions on what to photograph to document the stop. Fancy cameras are not required, all you need is a camera with a screen so you can show the scorer the necessary photo. While the bonus stops are all on paved roads, if your GPS is set for shortest you will encounter plenty of dirt including class IV fun. If you're riding a street bike set your GPS to avoid dirt and fastest routing and you'll get there at the same time as the guy on the GS.

BMW DEMO RIDES

MAX BMW Motorcycles will be providing guided demo rides on new BMW Motorcycles all day Saturday and Sunday until noon.

STUNT SHOWS:

Witness the impossible feats performed by Chris "Teach" McNeil throughout the day on Saturday. You'll be amazed at what he can do on just about any BMW!

The Barbershop Ride:

Local legend Nick the Barber hosts his special brand of madness on Saturday afternoon. This is most definitely not a ride for a big GS, or even an 800 (We'll challenge you riders on our own). Bring out your little dual sports and have at it with Nick and party down with us Saturday night.

The Party

As described above Hunter is giving us some indoor play space, food and beer for Saturday night.

For more information or to sign up please visit the MAX BMW Motorcycles event page.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #57
Rodknee
Aggrivator

Oddometer: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Thinking about coming up Sat. with the Ms.

no need to put Bluepill on a leash, i am sure he will behave...
NY to Inuvik to Deadhorse Aug 14'
2014 Rides: Katie M Big girl & Berg Hoon'icycle
RIP Buddy 1999-2014
Rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:11 AM   #58
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 2,977
Anyone know what kind of music the bands play on SAT.nite
Old 09-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #59
Ritalin Boy OP
Petroconsumptivitius

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie bolted View Post
Anyone know what kind of music the bands play on SAT.nite
No idea but for our party we'll be featuring music from MAX BMW Motorcycle's in house mix-master.

The resort if featuring a Grammy Award winning om pa pa band; I believe they play during the day.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #60
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 884
Anyone planning to put together an ADV group rental of a condo, perchance? After a couple days of hard riding, I'm realizing that having a shower available would be really nice.

(then again, I may just grab the camping gear)
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote