Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #16
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Pretty soon nobody will be able top ride his R69S bike. It will be worth too much.

That really is the issue. Start getting into collectible status and you become a collector not a rider; plus, crash one of these and it is gone forever. I'd love to own one but I'd want to ride it not look at it!

I really regret not purchasing what appeared to be a well sorted, and local, '68 /2 three or four years ago. Price was $5K. Problem was that the seller, who at the time was rebuilding two Morgans from the frame up, wouldn't admit/take credit for refreshing the bike, although he clearly had. Most /2s I see now are almost twice that...
Old 07-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #17
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post
That really is the issue. Start getting into collectible status and you become a collector not a rider; plus, crash one of these and it is gone forever. I'd love to own one but I'd want to ride it not look at it!

I really regret not purchasing what appeared to be a well sorted, and local, '68 /2 three or four years ago. Price was $5K. Problem was that the seller, who at the time was rebuilding two Morgans from the frame up, wouldn't admit/take credit for refreshing the bike, although he clearly had. Most /2s I see now are almost twice that...
And yet we'll happily pay $25,000 for a new Harley or BMW with all the farkles.

Vintage BMW's aren't that hard to find, and for what you get, not that expensive.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #18
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,064
Capo-

it's not the pricing I'm so hung up on as the fact that they ain't making anymore, hence their collect-ability. A real shame for such fine machines to become mere eye candy.

For the record,though-I hope to never pay $25K for any vehicle ever!
Old 07-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #19
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,044
There's also the fact that only a % of those bikes SURVIVED the times. Plenty of crashes out there ;)
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #20
riggpigg
Known,but not famous

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by caponerd View Post
They are never going to reach that point.
I have several friends who own various models of Vincent who ride them regularly. One of them, a Black Shadow brought $76,000 at a Mid-America auction in Monterey several years ago.
The owner let me ride it a week before the auction.

Pic or it didn't happen!
You couldn't touch a Black Shadow for 76K today, as a matter of fact they are bringing twice that and more as a restored machine. BMW R 69s restored are now bringing 20k and up. Mid America auctions and Bonhams auction results will confirm this.
riggpigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #21
Tenni126
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
9k just to get in seems high...and I'd bet that most of that bike is unusable. Whew. Someone's in for an expensive ride putting that one back together, and with that mileage even as a runner it'd need the better part of an engine rebuild anyway just to clean the slingers. Unless of course you had a crap ton of BMW spares lying around all ready, that's a lot of dough for what you're getting.
Tenni126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #22
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,218
At $9000 I think the seller will have the bike for quite a long time. It's just too much money for what is there.

my $.02

I just hope he doesn't prove me wrong now.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #23
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenni126 View Post
9k just to get in seems high...and I'd bet that most of that bike is unusable. Whew. Someone's in for an expensive ride putting that one back together, and with that mileage even as a runner it'd need the better part of an engine rebuild anyway just to clean the slingers. Unless of course you had a crap ton of BMW spares lying around all ready, that's a lot of dough for what you're getting.
I have a buddy that has a 1952 Vincent Black Shadow. He rides it as much as I ride my /6. To him a motorcycle stops being a motorcycle when you restore it and put it on a pedestal.

He has about $50k in it with the purchase of the bike (barn find), motor work and a ton of parts. I was behind him on the Pa turnpike a couple of weeks ago, I know that we reached 95 mph at one point (via GPS not BMW optimistic speedo). Point being that motorcycles need to be ridden, not "collected".

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #24
kentuvman
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Anyone who's restored any airhead knows how low the entry price can be and how high the invested in it price . . .

I recently looked at an R69s for sale in Louisiana that must've gone thru a few hurricanes - a rust bucket - no title - just a compete mess. Seller was asking about 5-6k. He mentioned taking the bike up to Craig "Vech's" shop in Mississippi or Arkansas (?). So I called Vech and asked him what he thought of the bike -- Vech told me he didn't know what seller was smoking but he was way out of line. He said even if the bike was Free, anyone would wind up investing north of 20K to restore it.

BMW part are available and also very expensive. I agree with previous post about being able to find a decent & running R69s for 10k - there comes a point when it just doesn't make economic sense to touch something like this - unless you're in it for the love only and money doesn't matter.

At the end of the day, it's a classy bike but it's also an old bike and old school. I recently restored a '73 R60/5 that I bought running - paid 2.5 and have about 4k into her - that was just basic stuff - shocks, throttle cables, rubber, clutch seals . . . She's a very classy bike but compared to my '82 R65LS, a lot more primitive - the R65LS is primitive compared to the K75s - I know the motors are different between the airhead & K but the engineering progresses with time.

My 2c
kentuvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #25
riggpigg
Known,but not famous

Oddometer: 138
Just because a motorcycle is restored, and/or collected, certainly has nothing to do with whether it is ridden or not. I agree wholeheartedly...they should be ridden, collected, restored or left original. Most of all, ridden....
riggpigg is offline   Reply With Quote