Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
jennyloohoo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Bike Storage

Hello -

I am planning and budgeting and researching at the moment, and was hoping that I could get some assistance.

Next year I'm going to buy a bike to tour the Western United States on for 3-4 weeks. When I'm done with it, I'm going to ship it to Europe and leave it there for touring purposes. I'd like to be able to tour through Europe for 3-4 weeks at a time, so I think this is probably the most cost efficient way (I've read on this forum it's a pain in the ass to buy a bike in another country, and renting would cost a fortune for that length of time).

I've heard there are services that will store and maintain bikes for foreigners in various European countries. I already know of one place in Germany, and in that scenario I'd have to ride the bike to some company in Florida, pay them a grand to ship it and then a maintenance fee every year.

I'm wondering if anyone has any other places that you could recommend I check out? Germany is great (I already toured there this year), but I'm just wondering what my options are. I am will to ride the bike just about anything in the 48 contingent states for shipping purposes, and upon handing the bike over I'd like to not have to worry about anything but riding the bike every time I go to Europe.

Thanks!!
Old 07-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
coolgreany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyloohoo View Post
Hello -

I am planning and budgeting and researching at the moment, and was hoping that I could get some assistance.

Next year I'm going to buy a bike to tour the Western United States on for 3-4 weeks. When I'm done with it, I'm going to ship it to Europe and leave it there for touring purposes. I'd like to be able to tour through Europe for 3-4 weeks at a time, so I think this is probably the most cost efficient way (I've read on this forum it's a pain in the ass to buy a bike in another country, and renting would cost a fortune for that length of time).

I've heard there are services that will store and maintain bikes for foreigners in various European countries. I already know of one place in Germany, and in that scenario I'd have to ride the bike to some company in Florida, pay them a grand to ship it and then a maintenance fee every year.

I'm wondering if anyone has any other places that you could recommend I check out? Germany is great (I already toured there this year), but I'm just wondering what my options are. I am will to ride the bike just about anything in the 48 contingent states for shipping purposes, and upon handing the bike over I'd like to not have to worry about anything but riding the bike every time I go to Europe.

Thanks!!
Sounds like you've already found Stefan Knopf (or similar) in Germany. I (personally) don't know of any similar ones in other countries.

Previous Bikes:
1983 BMW R100RT w/ Wasp Earls Forks/wheels w/ Watsonian Oxford Sidecar (England and USA)
1981 BMW R100RT w/ Gemini Sidecar (England)
1977 BMW R60/7 w/ Watsonian Palma Sidecar (Ireland)
1975 Honda CB500-4 (Ireland)
1973 Honda CB250 (Ireland)
1971 Honda CB125 (Ireland)
1970 Honda C90 (Ireland)
???? Honda C50 (Ireland)
coolgreany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgreany View Post
Sounds like you've already found Stefan Knopf (or similar) in Germany.
I had a bike with Stefan for 4 years - just sold it 2 days ago after a ride.

You also have Mototouring in Milano, Italy and Wheatwacker (ADVRider inmate) in Ireland.

Basically, you have shipping fees both ways to consider. My bike wore its Virginia plates for the 4 years that it was over there (GREAT conversation starter), so you avoid all of the hassles of registering a bike in Europe.

There are also storage fees of about $300 or so per year. This does NOT include maintenance - that will be extra.

Even so - my prorated daily cost was orders of magnitude below what a rental would have cost. I did rent for 6 years, so I have a good basis of comparison.
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
Aussie-in-Usak
Roachy

Oddometer: 1
Thumb Storage in Europe.

My question has just been answered. Stephan Knopf was just recomeneded to me also by someone not from this forum.
I am in Turkey for a 2 year work gig, and the import of my GS just got way to expensive. Shipped it to England with no dramas so I think storage in Germany is the way to go.
If anyone is touring Turkey...get in touch!!
Aussie-in-Usak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:58 AM   #5
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,920
I offer motorcycle storage in Ireland if your willing to make the trip to Cork.

My storage facility is very secure and you will be given access to my security cameras if you want to see your bike in real time.

WW.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
If it's a KTM you are welcome to store it at my place in North Yorkshire, England. No CCTV though....
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
CourtFisher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyloohoo View Post
Hello -

Thanks!!
I'm another very satisfied customer of Stefan Knopf.

You've probably already noticed that Stefan also arranges seafreight occasionally from West Coast, in addition to Florida:
http://knopftours.com/Web-Site/Transport.html

Depending on your schedule/ budget/ itinerary, you might also consider
airfreighting. If that's an option, you should also consider
http://shipmybike.com/ (recommended from East Coast/ JFK), or
http://motorcycleexpress.com/Pages/ShippingQuote/
which arranges (easier) airfreight from Canadian West Coast or East Coast
gateways.

Along with Stefan's excellent and friendly service(s), Heidelberg is "centrally" located for touring Europe in any direction.

You can always "mix & match"--e.g. buy via wheatwhacker in Ireland, store w/ Knopf or Mototouring; or make a friend in Europe w/ no-fee private garage storage space .
CourtFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:25 AM   #8
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtFisher View Post
You can always "mix & match"--e.g. buy via wheatwhacker in Ireland, store w/ Knopf or Mototouring; or make a friend in Europe w/ no-fee private garage storage space .

Encouraging people to store privately is bad for 2 reasons.
A. Do you assume responsibility if the bike gets stolen, damaged or both?
B. We provide a valuable and very convenient resource here in Europe for you people who want to leave a bike here in a safe environment.
$300/year is not a lot of money if you consider the security, insurance and stress of having over $100K value of other peoples motorcycles on your property.
you can also buy beer in the store, so, why go to a bar??
Old 08-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
you can also buy beer in the store, so, why go to a bar??
Good point! No more bars for me

Seriously - Storing with a friend, no matter how good, is an imposition. Legal and liability issues aside, you're making the assumption that they will meet your plans & schedule. Not always true.

And, as Wheatwhacker said, $300/year is a nit.
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:28 AM   #10
ewbutler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Taking full advantage of wheatwackers service I just returned from a six week tour of Ireland on the bike that he helped me purchase back in March. I had pictures and paperwork in hand but didn't see the bike until I went to pick it up on June 25. It exceeded my expectations and Martin delivered more service than I expected. He wired up my GPS, had the tank full, the bike clean and he delivered it to my hotel. His storage facility is a 5000 square foot industrial building set well off a two lane country road, behind locked gates and secured with massive iron doors, I believe a picture is on his web site. Suffice it to say that when I dropped the bike off last week I had absolutely no concerns about security and the addition of the security cameras is pretty cool too. I know I'll use that feature to occasionally check out the bike, remember this past great trip and plan the next one. $25/month to have a bike that you can check in on, safe and secure in Europe ready for your next trip? I think it's a terrific deal, if I could match that at home I'd have even more bikes that I do now!

Wade Butler
IBA 8691
ewbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:35 AM   #11
pip_muenster
curious

Oddometer: 429
We had our bikes in storage at www.motoadventours.com near Malaga in the south of Spain. Great service, I'd recommend them.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:09 AM   #12
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Over the years I've stored my bike with Stefan in Heidelberg, Mototouring in Milan, and Motoadventouring in southern Spain. No problems with any of them.

For me, two main considerations:

1) What is the riding like in the area near the storage?

I like the riding around Milan the best, just because of the variety--the lakes, sea, mountains, Tuscany, etc. And that's just in Italy--Switzerland, France, and Austria are all very near by.

That said, there is also obviously good riding near Heidelberg and in Southern Spain, but I've lived in Germany for three years so was kind of bored by touring around Germany. Southern Spain is also good riding but the set up down there was rather inconvenient for me (see next point); obviously it is a good base for a Morocco trip.

2) How convenient is it to get to the bike?

For people on long trips, this is probably not an issue at all, because all of these places are fairly easily accessible. I live in Moscow and do most of my riding on long weekends, so convenient flight schedules and bike pick up are important for me. Here too Mototouring in Milan is the best for me, because there are lots of direct flights, and Mototouring will drop the bike off at the airport for me to pick up, which is really convenient.

Stefan's place is fairly convenient as well, although generally it took me a few hours instead of the five minute shuttle ride to airport parking. I also really like being able to stay in Stefan's little hotel, and meet the people passing through--that is missing in both Milan and Southern Spain, where they just store the bikes.

The main thing I didn't like about Southern Spain was that was very inconvenient for me because of flight schedules and at that time, their facility was pretty far away from the airport (I think they've moved since).

No reason to keep it in one place forever, you can start with Stefan and then move around as you get tired of that place and want to see new things. I will have to think about keeping it with Wheatwhacker for awhile, I've never been to Ireland...

motoreiter screwed with this post 08-08-2013 at 06:15 AM
motoreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:21 PM   #13
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Anyone know of a storage service in the USA?
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:26 PM   #14
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
Anyone know of a storage service in the USA?
Contact this guy.
http://advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=20709
Old 09-29-2014, 05:06 PM   #15
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Ta mate
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote