User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,270
Which is Better? The 60/76 or 62/78 Series?

I know which one I consider to be better, but it depends a lot on what you want to do with either.

For me, my favourite of the four is the 78S, though I don't use it much these days.

Anyway, compare and contrast all you want here.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,271
Laugh 77

I vote for the (non-existant) 77Sx. Best* of the 76CSx blended with the best* of the 78S.

Track and waypoint management has less button pushing on the 76. Better font - 76. 76 has the daily "master track" no matter what you do as far as saving/clearing track log.

78 has better map management/capability. 78 - bigger track recording. Menus on the 78 are "strange"/illogical for someone coming from 76 useage, even in classic mode

77 for the win.

250senuf screwed with this post 07-26-2013 at 03:38 PM Reason: *=best as defined by 76 users :)
250senuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
I like the sound of the "77" and so am going to vote for/nominate the "61X" .

On the 60/62 series the 60 definately does some stuff better and so does the 62 so like your my 61X would either take the best of the best or make something even better.

Where I'm coming from is I find androip aps do all the "flashy stuff" better than any of the Garmin GPS units. If their are good maps available, no heavy jungle cover, no rain the android works better for me. The niche the 60 has for me is in hard core areas where I need ultra reliability and simplicity.

Last week I was doing some mapping on Sumba Indonesia as well as some smaller islands there. Shortly before that I was in some pretty rough places in Myanamar/Burma. 8 months ago I was in the midst of some fighting between Islamic rebels from the Southern Philippines and Malaysia in a primitive part of Sabah. The Malaysian army hadn't gotten involved yet and was leaving it to the police; I was trying to help poor families stuck on the wrong side of the fighting. I was rapidly marking where guerilla outposts were, as well as families that needed assistance moving, where supplies were etc. In the jungle, my Samsung rugby pro can not get a sattelite fix... and it's not REALLY waterproof... just better than an iphone.

The 60 was the best unit I think Garmin made for that kind of hard core use. Here's how I would compare it with the 62 and how I would make the 61.

1. The 62 can't be externally powered in "hard core" conditions. Water will quickly destroy the unit if you use the mini USB port. The 4 pin connector was great!
2. The 60 has a tougher glass screen than the 62 which took a step backwards. Rather than use the 60 screen though I think there are options now better than the 60 in certain gorilla glasses.
3. Waypoint saving... what a mix!!
- 2,000 on the 62 vs 1,000 for the 60; point for the 62. 61 should have 5,000.
- waypoints are quicker to save on the 60; quicker to delete... less steps. Point for the 60.
- The 60 wont let you name the same waypoint the exactly the same. That's a bummer where when all over the world I want to mark "water" for instance... how many freakin ways do I have to come up to spell where I can get water? And I'm sure lots of outdoor people want to know that... hikers, horse people etc. Point for the 62,
- I have more than 2,000 waypoints. The 60 if I'm at 1,000 wont let me save another one... frusterating. The 62 at 2,000 without telling me will delete whichever way point that it deems it should delete and I didn't even know I was at 2,000.* Massive win for the 60 there. That is a huge, frusterating theme with the 62... its like AI... it thinks it can think for you... better than you. When routing it decides the zoom level. When I override it, it takes back over. The 60 gets the point that I want to be in control and once overridden goes with it. Anyways, my 61X would have 5,000 waypoints, let me name many waypoints with the same name, have even less steps than the 60 (not more like the 62), and warn me 50 waypoints ahead of time if I was getting close to 5,000.
- The cute orange color rubber sides on the 62 quickly bubble, peel and fall off. Not near as hardy as the 60. When they are fresh though they give a better grip. My 61X would either revert to the 60 style or come up with something stronger not weaker.

That's a start!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,224
For "basic" dualsport use:

1) 76
2) 60
3) 78

There is no 4 because the 62 doesn't come equipped with the 4-pin connector.....that's a pre-qualifier to even make the list.....
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
swaneez
swaneez

Oddometer: 8
Which GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
For "basic" dualsport use:

1) 76
2) 60
3) 78

There is no 4 because the 62 doesn't come equipped with the 4-pin connector.....that's a pre-qualifier to even make the list.....
Thanks for narrowing the list, a great start to picking from about 4000 different units.

There are apparenly several "60" units, xs, c, etc. Any particular suffix that one should look for? Price does vary. One 60 I found was discontinued and $650, another was $200. need to narrow some more I guess. Also, what does the lack of a 4-pin mean (on the 62)? Thanks for the guidance.
swaneez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,271
60: C = colour x = microSD (allows for more maps)

The four pin is for 12V. Powering via USB on the MC not recommended. If you intend to just stick with batteries lack of four pin doesn't matter.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
Lack of a "4 pin connector" means the unit doesn't have an all weather HD connection for 12v external power. All have a mini USB but that connector is prone to fail and also does not accept 12-14v DC directly having to be reduced to 5v. A non issue if you don't plan to use exteneral power but notable if you do.

The letters following the model number are;
C = color display
S = sensors as in compass & barometer to supplement the GPS generated heading & altitude
x = among other things the unit has expandable memory
T = The unit has some type of topo maps but they may not equal to "TOPO" as sold by Garmin.

Most of the letters have been phased out on new models. If you are shopping for a 60 or 76 get at least a Cx or CSx. I have a Nuvi that came with topo loaded and it is not as good as the stand alone 'TOPO".

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,269
For my use it is quite clear that neither is "better". They each have better features but not enough to make one superior.

I used my 78 for the first time this week scouting the GWT.

The RAM mount is crap, it popped out twice.

Loading more than 20 high resolution tracks was the ONLY better feature.

Not being able to start/stop active log was a real PITA when I went to add tracks to master file.

In the future I will probably run both, 78 to navagate, 76 to record tracks.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,560
Depends on how much effort you want to go though to get it to do what you want.

HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:26 AM   #10
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Depends on how much effort you want to go though to get it to do what you want.

I choose the one with more options. If you want the one that only has an on/off switch, that's your prerogative.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #11
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=HogWild;22067924]Depends on how much effort you want to go though to get it to do what you want.

You got the idea correct but you labels are wrong.

Top photo should be titled "Delete Waypoint", switch should say "Delete"/"Keep".

Bottom photo speaks (but not in english) for its self on how to do it with 78.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #12
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I choose the one with more options. If you want the one that only has an on/off switch, that's your prerogative.
However before you stated that for some unexplainable reason, you like the fact that they deleteed the option of what to do if external power is lost?

Many new features appearred in the 78 but unfortunately few if any are new options, most if not all replace a very good old feature. Best example is track list went from Alpha/# to closest. It would have been great if they add closest as an option without deleting the very useful old Alpha/# way.

Another is downloading tracks: old way was to download tracks with On/Off set by sender (very important for promoters). New way is to default Off, adds tons of work for event participants. Option with new way would have been fine.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
However before you stated that for some unexplainable reason, you like the fact that they deleteed the option of what to do if external power is lost?.
You have such a selective memory. I said I didn't care that they removed the option to keep the gps on when external power is lost. I told you why it made sense to me but it obviously didn't to you.

I am not repeating it again.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #14
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,263
The 6278 changed a lot of things from the 6076.

There's new features added.
There's also features that got removed.

For some people, those removed features are kind of a big deal.

It might not be a big deal to you. Might not be a big deal to Garmin.

But to me, having the device stay on when power is removed (like when my sled shuts off) ... is a big deal.

Like Countdown said, deleting a waypoint is far from intuitive on the 6278.
My first thought was "How the hell do I do this? Where is the menu?"
Once I found it, and retraced my steps back through all (and I mean *ALL*) of the menus ... "Could they have made that any more difficult?)

Next-turn popup was another feature that was removed.
On the 6076, from any navigation page... when the upcoming turn alert sounded, the screen would momentarily switch to a "Next-Turn" display, showing you a left/right/whatever turn to stay on route. The 6278 dropped that.

A GPS is a tool to aid with navigation. When I find myself fighting the tools I have, it's time for different tools.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #15
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
You have such a selective memory. I said I didn't care that they removed the option to keep the gps on when external power is lost. I told you why it made sense to me but it obviously didn't to you..
Yes you said why you like the currrent way it works, but you never explained why you thought it was good that they removed the option. I beleve options are always better. The 76 in the motorhome is set to shut off so it doesn't run down GPS battery if I leave it on and cig plug gets bumped. Bike is set to stay on for UPS use reasons.

Countdown screwed with this post 08-16-2013 at 09:54 PM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote