Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 04:34 AM   #16
boboneleg
we can rebuild him.

Oddometer: 738
Inspired by your report Pumpy I rode up to Newbury on Thursday and rode the trails in the same area. I managed not to drop the bike all day but those hidden ruts were damned hard work in the heat and my speed was very slow.

A long and hard day (I set off at 05.00) but enjoyable anyway

Old 08-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #17
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

Oddometer: 1,099
Glad you had fun, Bob - fancy doing those lanes together with some friends?

Let us know!
Old 08-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #18
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

From Burbage we briefly joined the A338 south and then branched off onto the long and fast byway leading over the Crow Down. We reached the boundary of MoD territory again, turned sharply right and explored yet another of those lovely overgrown summer trails...

Who's this?

Ah, Gosia and Lukasz - making life difficult for themselves in the outer rut...

A quick 'Heave Ho!' and they both continued in the middle - considerably faster than before.

Left at the Pump House, passing Milton Hill Farm (where the byway is paved - how dare they?!), crossing the road at Down Farm and then entering MoD country proper near the Everleigh Barrows.

May I just point out that we are all on the same lane?

Riding buddies...

Approaching the gate near Grant's Firs

And then we met a lonesome rider who immediately addressed me as "Pumpy?" - it was REM, testing how his F800GS would behave on the trails with all the new luggage fitted

Funnily enough, after several years we had just seen him the Thursday before when he graced the Oxford TRF meeting with his visit

General approval, yep, the equipment should do nicely for a trail bimble through Spain

We were on the home stretch now and for the first time ever since we started the UK ADV Meetings in April 2007, I managed to complete the whole planned route with a group - it was a fantastic feeling of achievement!

Still, the greatest reward for a run leader must be when everyone is happy at the end of the day and sports that distinctive big trail riding grin...

... not to forget the moustache, of course!

We were the third group back on the campsite and thus still had time to relax a bit before dinner. There is nothing like a good work out on the trails!

A man who has it all...

Some people come to the Golden Swan only for the Belly of Pork - Gosia is one of them

The vegetarian options are not bad either - well, not that Matt would know about it, but Gaz and Derrin do!

Berin obviously struggled to look nice (I wonder in whose group he had been riding...) but Mike F and Simon1725 looked like they had had a good day

Derrin, Dr JM and Berin (second attempt, slight improvement...)

Short'n'Spikey and RobbieC

RickA - cheers!

WM O'Borneo

Windy, still looking a bit ruffled, and Ashbabble

And yours truly, Possu and Pumpy

Gosia and Lukasz still had to get back to Oxford that evening

Well, they are still young and can cope with excessive mileage on and off the trails in one day...

We others were glad that we just had to cover the distance between pub and tent. Spirits were high in the Snug Bar...

... and outside (Mike, I hope you are only rolling cigarettes for your mates and not smoking them yourself! )

What other surprises would the Sunday hold?

To be continued...
Old 08-15-2013, 02:16 AM   #19
bill_qaz
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thank you

Thanks Steve for organising a great weekend & thanks to Ela for leading our group and taking the pictures.
Regards Tail end Bill
bill_qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:26 AM   #20
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

Oops, I should quickly finish this report before the Clogfest this weekend, I suppose...

Sunday

Breakfast baps were served in the barn by landlady Pat, who has her own ideas what 'nice' looks like...

Beer and Beefiddler were already discussing trails - "and this is when you come out of the woods and the lane goes like this..."

Possu and Matt getting ready for their ride while the 'part-timers' watched with a heavy heart - or maybe not...

Muddymatt - rarely have our bikes looked so clean on the second day...

At first it seemed that no one wanted to ride with me anymore: Gosia and Lukasz had gone home, Jenny hadn't turned up at all, Windy excused himself with being absolutely knackered and the usual requests for an 'easy' ride on the Sunday didn't come forward - I suppose, the dry weather made all the rides fairly 'easy'...

In the end, Bill and Patrick took pity on me and the three of us set off to ride my Salisbury Plain - Stonehenge - White Horses - Avebury - Historical route: starting with the muddy track near Little Abbotts, Grant's Firs again, the West Everleigh Down, through the Windward Ball Plantation, over the Marlborough Road onto the chalky byway that leads you into the completely overgrown lanes along the fields towards Oldlands Piggery.

Into East Everleigh and further grass cutting was on the agenda - Bill at the end of the byway to Lower Everleigh

Nobody seems to ride this lane apart from us...

Patrick showing us how to mow the lawn in style

Gracefully floating down the hill...

Three yards before the ditch...

... but as a skilled rider he mastered this obstacle easily and thus I can't provide any embarrassing photos, sorry.

Bike fiddling on the Plain

Bill repositioning his carburettor, which had vibrated out of its seating on the fast bumpy lanes

My own CRF needed some encouragement to start by then - little did I know about the underlying issue at the time, but more about that later. Obeying the rule that you shouldn't go trail riding by yourself but take (at least) one or two strong men along really paid off here: Bill and Patrick helped me bump-start my bike on several occasions and off we went again...

The mandatory tourist pic at Stonehenge

Gentlemen who lunch...

By the way, also make sure that among the strong men you take is at least one experienced mechanic... Bill had the brilliant idea to check if the battery contacts had come loose - and they had. From then on my CRF started on the button!

After lunch in Stapleford we kept flying along and exploring some new (to me) permissive byways until big red flags in strategic places like Orcheston and Tilshead put an end to my planned route... After several fruitless attempts, we rode a few miles on the A360 up to Gore Cross and took the right turn that leads you onto the Wessex Rigdeway and the perimeter road around the Westdown Artillery Range.

Other trail riders seemed to have been caught out by the red flags, too, like this group we met at Redhorn Hill near Urchfront

"Ah, Oxford TRF!", I heard someone saying - it was Trevor from the Bristol chapter of the Trail Riders Fellowship, who we had taken out in September 2011. Small world...

We enjoyed a bit of a much needed break together...

... but couldn't carry on together as our time was limited; we had to cut our route short and head back to Wilcot. And phew, we were back four minutes before the agreed return time, and more importantly, before the Great Organiser...

We packed up...

... (re)counted the weekend's shenanigans...

... and licked our wounds

The start of a tale of woe... (if you want to know more about my CRF's fate, click here).

And this wasn't the end of the traumatic experiences that afternoon...

Not sure if anyone really wanted to know what Simon was wearing underneath his towel...

And then it was time to say goodbye to our friends, the fantastic trails in Wiltshire and Wilcot

A big thank you to everyone who came along and made the weekend such great fun, especially to all the run leaders and tail enders...

... and our splendid hosts Dave and Pat at the Golden Swan!

We'll be back - in fact we are this weekend.

See you all on the trails!

Ela

Pumpy screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 12:04 AM
Pumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:28 AM   #21
duibhceK
duibhce Kaelann

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy View Post
The start of a tale of woe... (if you want to know more about my CRF's fate, click here).
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the CRF, Ella. But at least the dealer did the right thing.
Could I now interest you in a WR250F perhaps?

Anyway, we're really looking forward to the weekend!
Old 08-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #22
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy View Post

And this wasn't the end of the traumatic experiences that afternoon...

Not sure if anyone really wanted to know what Simon was wearing underneath his towel...

Thar she blows, harpoons at the ready......
Old 08-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #23
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

Quote:
Originally Posted by duibhceK View Post
Could I now interest you in a WR250F perhaps?
Thanks for the offer, Jo, but there was a happy ending to the story and I've already got a replacement...

See you on Friday!

Pumpy screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 12:32 AM
Pumpy is offline   Reply With Quote