Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #46
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,833
sorry to see pete's ride ends here. hope he's a lot better by now.

good job dean. keep it coming.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:29 AM   #47
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,432
Well CRAP!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:06 AM   #48
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,291
I'm sorry to hear it too.
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:16 AM   #49
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,291
Thanks for getting back to me on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mootsuno View Post
SR,

It was a great basin and it really wasn't the bags fault. The Dakar I was riding
is fairly wide in the back and the wings of the bag couldn't drop down the sides
of the bike very well. I also had it pushed pretty far back so I had enough
room on the seat to stay comfortable.

I also had a duffel strapped behind the giant loop with my camping gear in it that exasperated the problem.
You could really tell the difference picking up the bike with the side bags, much easier. Luckily I only had to pick up the bike
four times. Two falls and two tip overs at stops.

I am keeping the giant loop though, I think it'll work well on some of my smaller bikes. Hope that helps.
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #50
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
That is an big knee!

That's looks painful. How the recovery going?

Just out of curiosity, was he wearing knee braces or any knee protection?
1993 Harley Heritage Classic
Tomos ST
esp41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #51
MaverickChick
I do my own stunts.

Oddometer: 467
Pete! That sucks! I'm glad you had an awesome bud to help get everything settled. Hope your recovery is going well. The TAT will be there when you get healed.

Awesome report, Keep it coming!
Old 08-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #52
mootsuno OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Day 20

Lake City, CO to Monticello, UT

This day was filled with lots of emotions. Leaving Pete behind, continuing the
ride by myself with no back up. Especially since I didn't have my SPOT. I also
knew that riding without Pete my pace would be faster. I was going to do all the
high passes today and finish up in UT.
I left early and headed south out of Lake City past Lake San Cristobal then turned west towards Cinnamon Pass, the first of the day. As I started to climb the
road was becoming a bit more challenging, not steep yet but more rocks and ruts. I passed a small jeep convoy and then started to climb.

The next few pictures are on the way up to Cinnamon Pass.

Just starting out,

getting a little rougher,

looking back,

and at the top with mtn bikers. They were lazy and trucked the bikes up. Although, they
did say they were riding to Denver from there.

The elevation,

and looking down the other side.

After riding down a bit further the you get a great view of Animas Forks and road towards California Pass.

Animas Forks is a ghost town with many of the old mining buildings still standing.

The first part of the road up to California Pass is pretty gentle,

and this is looking back down the road from the top. I think just about everyone
who rides the TAT gets a picture from this vantage point.

And the top.

This is looking down the west side California Pass and the road up to
Hurricane Pass.

The top of Hurricane Pass, not quite as high as California.

Corkscrew is the name of the road after Hurricane Pass. The TAT map suggests
that your brakes be in good working order for this downhill. It is moderately steep with tight switchbacks and some loose baby head rocks. But it was sometimes hard to concentrate on the road with the incredible views.

Looking down from the top of the corkscrew.

The last major pas of the day was Ophir Pass.

After that down the I went through the small town of Ophir and on to the pavement for a few miles.

One thing I haven't mentioned about this day was the way front suspension
was working. Or, actually not working. Remember my leaking fork seal? Well
while Pete was at the medical center the day before I added a bit too much fork oil. In fact way too much. I was only getting about 5" of travel (it's normally 11"). The extra fluid caused a hydraulic lock in the fork. I had to take it pretty easy, I didn't want to pinch flat or break anything form going too fast.

This didn't matter a great deal until I got into the next section. I started out on a nice dirt and rock road.

I had a nice track with with the GPS and wasn't using the TAT maps at this point. I ended up taking part of the old route even though a bypass was available.

Here's a portion of the map.

Sorry I don't have any pictures of this next part of the story but at the time I
wasn't thinking about getting the phone/camera out.

I took the mud/rocks section which was a double track trail that I don't think
anybody had been on in a while. Not much mud but rocks and ruts and it tracked
along the side of a hill. And it was in some fairly dense forest. It's about a 16 or 17 mile leg and with my lovely front suspension my pace was slow.

It even got slower when I came around a corner and met up with a large bull
leading a herd of range cattle. He was grazing as I came around the corner
and slammed on my brakes. This guy was big, I'd estimate between 1200 to 1400lbs and was staring right at me. Then his back hoof started scraping the
ground. Now realize I'm on side of the hill trail. Can't go up, down and didn't have room to turn around. My mind begins to race. Holy crap I'm thinking, if he charges I'm going have jump off my bike, if he hits me nobody's out here
and I don't have my SPOT.

He puts his head down and starts grazing again. I was head to head with him so I pointed the bike at a 45 degree angle and edged forward. His head came up again
and some more hoof scraping. I waited a minute and he started grazing again.
I decided to move a little more towards him. This time he looked up, slowly
turned and began to walk down the trail away from me. I followed about 20'
behind playing it safe. The rest of the herd was following him too and I couldn't get around. Now I'm surrounded by the herd and going with their flow.

I get another 50 yds or so down the trail and I find myself next to two
other bulls with their horns locked. I don't know if they were fighting or playing but I didn't care I had to get out of there. The lead bull eventually
walked off the side of the trail and I was now just behind some cows. I sped
up a bit and started pushing them. I'm thinking as soon as a gap opens up between
them I'm gassing it. When it did I did and it was a rough ride with only 5" of travel. I finally got off the double track and on to a fire road. I decided I had to get some fluid out of the fork. I got on level ground stripped the luggage
off, and removed the fork cap. I tipped the bike on it's side and tried to dump
some fluid out. Didn't work. I said to myself "Screw it, I'll fix in UT."

Unfortunately the next few miles were downhill with deep ruts and lots of rocks. Combined distance of the double track and fire road was about 20 miles
and it took me about 3 hours.

I finally ended up on a nice, wide graded gravel road and could make up some time. Not much after that I found my way out of the Rockies, into the western Colorado plains and into Utah.

Looking back at the Rockies.

This was one intense day. When I left Pete in the morning I never expected the first
day without him to be such an adventure or that'd I'd be scared of a cow!

The day ended with easy, hard packed dirt roads and a room in
Monticello, UT.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #53
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 817
Keep on keepin' on.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #54
Dell_dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Old 09-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #55
mootsuno OP
Studly Adventurer

Days 21 & 22

Day 21
Monticello to Moab

After yesterdays suspension woes I got up early to remove some of the fork oil
and get full travel again. I grabbed a few straws from a restaurant and taped them together and removed some oil and put the cap back on, so I thought.

I packed up the bike and attached the GPS. For some reason the GPS kept
defaulting to it's internal power and turning off, even though it's hardwired
to the bike. Screw it I'll fix it later. I turn the key hit the starter, nothing.

I look at the dash no lights or clock. OK I have to check the battery. This is a
royal pain since it's under the faux gas tank. I remove all luggage and the body panels
and check the connections. All look fine. Alright pull the battery out and get it checked.
Happens that next door to the motel is a truck repair shop and they have a battery diagnostic tool. dead battery with a shorted cell. This is a bit upsetting. This battery is only 3 months old and it's a Shorai, needless to say
I'm pretty disappointed. Time to source a new battery. Now Monticello isn't very big
and there is a Honda dealership, too bad it's Monday and it's closed. But there
is a NAPA. Well it only took about an hour of trial and error but we finally found a battery
that would fit. put the bike back together and it fired right up. Reload again
and I'm on my way. I figured I'd probably make Green River tonight no too far
because I also wanted to stop in Moab and pick up another SPOT. After yesterday I didn't feel comfortable without one. After about 20 miles something seemed weird with the bike. I looked down and saw some fluid on my legs and the bike. I pull over, and take a look. Stupid me I must not have
put the fork cap on all the way and it came off.

I put it back on and decide to cut some of the trail out and head straight for Moab. The right side of the bike and my right leg are covered with fork oil
and need a clean up. First though I want to find a SPOT. I check a number of outdoor stores in person and by phone and nobody has one. I then call Spot
Corporate and ask about dealers in Moab. They have one and give me their number. I call, they have one left. "What's your address?" "We're about five
miles south of town." She gives me the address and it ends up being a ranch
where she has a home business. Very nice lady, I purchase the SPOT and she lets me use
her computer to switch my old SPOT info to the new. I have some back up again. I head back to Moab proper for some lunch and decide I'll just hang here for
the day. I'll grab a hotel, go swimming and catch a movie. I check in and head to
the car wash to clean the bike. While waiting at a stop light Nate (whom we
met in Trinidad) pulls up. He tells Art is about 25 miles back with a flat and
he's going to Arrowhead Motors to get a tube. The light turns and off we go.

After washing the bike I decide to ride over to Arrowhead to see Nate and hoe they're doing. For those of you who don't know Arrowhead is sort of the unofficial
maintenance stop for TAT riders. The owner has parts and tools and will let you do your own wrenching, pretty cool. Well Nate wasn't there but I met Christa and Dave, a couple doing the TAT on KLR's. Nice people and I'd see them again.

After that I went back to the hotel, went swimming, did laundry and hit a movie and a good night's sleep.

Day 22

Moab to Richfield

Today there'd be some interesting riding. Today started out going north out of Moab for a few miles then west into the bluffs towards Gemini Bridges.

The road goes up those red bluffs in the background.

Here's the road looking up,

and down.

Beautiful scenery through this area and decent roads. Just past the Gemini Bridges
I came across two parked adventure bikes. Of course I had to stop and talk
to them. They're ADVers ESP41 and Kirkster.

We talked about the trail and other riders we'd come across. After that we rode together for a little bit but my pace was different than theirs and we soon separated. Coming out of the hills the roads became flat again and would stay that way until crossing Green River.

On the way to Green River.

After a quick break in Green River I headed back into the dirt and made my way Black Dragon Wash. As I pulled up to the gate just before BDW I saw
a pickup parked just inside with a trailer loaded with bikes and quads. It also
had a large TAT on the side. I asked them if they wanted me to leave the gate open and they said "Sure." Then the gentleman asked if I was riding the TAT. "Yeah, " I say. "I'm Sam." "Sam Correro?" I ask him. "Yep."

Wow the TAT creator right hear, pretty cool.

Me and Sam

Sam and his significant other.

Sam told me he was there checking out refining the route and that BDW
might be a little tough with baby head rocks and some tight sections to
maneuver though. He was right.

The entrance to BDW.

BDW is a slot canyon with steep walls and is quite beautiful.
It has some grotto looking areas

and more rocks mixed with some sand.

Some sections were reasonably wide and others you had to pick a definite line.

Then I had to negotiate this lovely step up.

Did I mention it was about 100 degrees that day? I was doing a lot of clutch
work with my heavy bike and did over heat it. The cap blew of the expansion
and needed to be put back on.

My repair spot.

Of course on my bike that necessitates removing the body work and at 100 degrees with no shade it wasn't fun. Got it back together and a few miles later
I got back on the highway. According to the TAT maps the next dirt section was filled with rocks and deep sand and should be avoided unless your on
a light bike. So I took the bypass.

I stayed on the highway for awhile until the trail intersected it again.
The trail then followed the highway's frontage road for miles. Up and down it went and through a few tunnels.

After reaching Salina the trail turned southwest towards Richfield, my stop for the day. The last few miles were a little confusing. Directions such as "Go to the white trailer and turn right. Go across the boards and turn left. Follow the path and turn left along the creek levy."

The path to the levy.

Finally got to town , got a room and some dinner. As I walked into my room
I got a text from Nate and Art saying they were at McDonald's down the street.

I headed down and talked about the ride so and where they had been. They said they had been following my tracks and wondered where I had stopped.

After a bit I told them I'd see them on the trail and headed back to my room.
I wanted to start early again.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #56
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 677
Really enjoying this RR. I'm looking forward to the next update.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #57
mootsuno OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 23

Day 23
Richfield, UT to Baker, NV

Another early morning start out of Richfield and into the Fishlake National Forest.
It was nice to be in some mountains again, with trees. Climbing up was relatively
easy on dirt and gravel roads with some pretty good views.

Got to the top and the GPS track and roll charts weren't exactly in sync. I expanded the GPS view and saw there were a number of ways to get down to Kanosh.

Took a little selfie before heading down.

Heading down was more difficult than coming up. The roads changed to double track with some rock and mud and cows. It was actually pretty fun and the traction was decent.

This next cow gate was interesting. I had never ridden before that was narrow and you had to go up and over.

The elevation was dropping fast and the lower I got the hotter it was getting.
The mountains ended abruptly and I was back in the flatlands. I took a break in Kanosh, fueled up and had a couple of otter pops. The guys at the gas station
asked where I was going. I told them and they bring supplies and water cause you ain't gonna see anybody. They were right. I crossed the highway
a few miles later then one truck in the next 80 miles. And that was on one of the worst roads of the trip. The road was leading up to Crystal Peak and was
comprised of deep red gravel was about 20 miles long. The going was slow.

Seeing Sevier dry lake along the road made me thirsty so I took a break and a picture.

The road eventually leads to Crystal Peak and Crystal Peak pass. Crystal
Peak can be seen from quite a distance since it's white and the surrounding
mountains are much darker. Apparently it's composed of some kind of mineral
that gives it it's color.

Crystal Peak

and the pass.

Here's a short video with Crystal Peak in the background. I thought I was in Nevada but i was still in UT.

As I closed in on the NV border I started to smell smoke then see it. Coming down another of the TATs great roads I could see there was a forest fire in the
direction I was heading.

Luckily the route turned north and away from the fire. Just a little ways after turning north I came to the Border Inn located, you guessed it, on the UT NV
border.

Dave and Krista whom I met at Arrowhead Motors were there An i talked to them for a while as I enjoyed some ice cream. They were heading off to do
some stealth camping and I decided to ride the five miles to Baker and get a room. Baker not a big place and I ended up here.

The place also had a restaurant that had either burgers or Pizza but no fries.
However they did have a large beer selection.

As I was eating dinner I saw Nate and Art drive by. I headed outside and waved them down.
They came in, had dinner, and ended up camping just between the restaurant
and my room. I left in the morning just as they were getting up but I'd see them again at the end of the day.

mootsuno screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 03:25 PM
mootsuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #58
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
That's a Utah ATV gate, keeps anything over 50" wide from entering the trail system

Quote:
Originally Posted by mootsuno View Post
This next cow gate was interesting. I had never ridden before that was narrow and you had to go up and over.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #59
Leadman
Half Full....

Oddometer: 8
Injury Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickChick View Post
Pete! That sucks! I'm glad you had an awesome bud to help get everything settled. Hope your recovery is going well. The TAT will be there when you get healed.

Awesome report, Keep it coming!
Thanks MaverickChick (and others) for the well wishes on my recovery. I am now 4 weeks out of reconstructive surgery on my knee and anxiously awaiting the start of rehabilitation.

In my opinion, having an "awesome bud" or bud's to share ones adventures goes a long way towards the overall experience.

In my case, not being an experienced rider, I had a few reservations about undertaking an adventure of this magnitude. However, I also know that Dean is ultra dependable, extremely resourceful and could handle most any situation without panic.

So I just want to emphasize how important it is to have good friends with which to experience the important things in life. As for me, I'm enjoying this ride report , thankful that I was given the opportunity to experience a good part of the TAT and happy that Dean was able to complete the adventure. (And write up a great ride report)

.....I'll be back.....
Leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #60
mootsuno OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 24

Baker, NV to Eureka, NV

Today was going to another day of tough riding. Some physical, some mental.
The route out of Baker was heading south toward the fire I saw yesterday.
Luckily there was far less smoke than the day before, the Cedar City Hot Shots
I saw at the Baker gas station must have got it under control.

The trail ran south just outside of Great Basin National Park, back into UT
for just a bit, then around the bottom of the national park.

I followed miles of fence line

and went through numerous barbwire gates.

As you can see the firefighters must have been working all night. The large fire was down to a smolder.

The route continued down into and up out of Big Spring Wash. I'm really glad
there wasn't any rain today or the last few because Big Spring was a flash flood waiting to happen. Pretty rocky too but it was fun.

A little further along the road straightens out and Patterson Peak comes into view.

The old TAT route follows that straight away and goes directly through the
mountains. However Sam has now detoured the route to the north and
up around coming in on the other side of Patterson peak. Apparently the original route
is now covered in deep sand and rocks, I didn't mind the detour.

The new route puts you on Hwy 93 for about 10 miles south then back on the old route heading west and over Patterson Pass.

After Patterson Pas the road leads north into Cave Valley and Cave Valley Wash.

Cave Valley is not what you'd expect in the middle of NV. It's green and lush
with mountains each side, just beautiful.

The route started as a nice, easy gravel but eventually the rollcharts directs you to a double track trail. Since Patterson Pass the clouds had thickened up and a light rain began. No big deal except when your riding on off camber, dirt
double track trails. Now I like my Heidenau rear tire but it's not a knobby and I
was sliding all over the place. And of course the range cattle were around and in the way again. Also, without the sun for a reference I felt like I was riding in circles but the GPS and rollchart indicated I was good.

I finally came out into a nice meadow and took a break.

I eventually finished the trail, got back on a road and started climbing into the
mountains again. And of course more cattle! This time the was an honest to god
cowboy driving them up the road.

I asked if I could get through and he said just ride up behind them and moo-ve them out of the way. So I did. After reaching the top of the next pass
I started down through steep narrow canyon, the elevation dropped quickly
on a quite windy road.

I came out into the flatlands and preceded to the town of Preston for fuel.
Fueling was interesting. The gas station was a small shack in the parking lot of a closed motel and restaurant. I thought it was closed for sure. I pull up
to the old fashion pump, no cards here just the old rotating dials. Nobody comes out of the shack, I could have just filled up and left, but I walked into the shack where a little old lady was sitting and asked if I could use the pump.
"Go ahead, just tell me how much you put in." OK mam, I can do that. So I did and was on my way.

After leaving Preston I crossed Hwy 6 and went into Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest. It's mostly prairie land with rolling hills and I had hard time finding parts of the route. Part of the TAT here is the old Lincoln Hwy which
is now just a double track through the desert.

Although you can't see it, that small sign post next to the gate is the marker for the Lincoln Hwy.

A number of times I was matching the GPS coordinates on the rollchart and the garmin and I was in the right place but I didn't see the trail. So I just followed the GPS track, usually after a little riding a trail would start to become apparent.

I should have taken more pictures but it was starting to get late and I wanted to get through this section.

Here's a little sarcastic video.

I then came across a few washes where I couldn't follow the track and had to find other ways around.
There was some pretty sketchy riding there and some pucker moments but when you get through you feel that you've really accomplished something.
Then the road was so overgrown that I was catching my soft bags and broke a few buckles. By the time I reached Hwy 50
it was getting dark and instead of crossing the Hwy and continuing the route
I decided to cut a few miles off the trail and go directly into Eureka. I arrived in
Eureka about 20 minutes later with about 11 hours in the bike for the day.
I checked into the Best Western and as I was walking to dinner Nate and Art
come riding the down the road. I flagged them down, they checked into the Best Western and we went to dinner.
After the last few days of riding by myself I suggested we finish the ride together. They agreed and part three of my ride would begin tomorrow.