ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
DirtViking OP
SKOL!
 
DirtViking's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Oddometer: 372
HOT SPRINGS / WARM SPRINGS, VA -- Riding areas???

Hello,

I'm spending about 10 days this October in the Warm Springs (Bacova, Moomaw) area and am looking for some offroad riding areas.

I've been on the fire roads in the area and they are pretty good. Just looking for something that is a bit more offroad. Possibly Jeep trails? Less than an hour away from there would be perfect.

Any ideas?

Would like to meet up with locals who know the area...

Thanks,

Jon
__________________
2011 1200 GSA
2012 WR450F
1970 Triumph Bonneville
DirtViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!
 
Eddy Alvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Chester,VA
Oddometer: 2,275
Curious to see responses



Alan Brown (AB13) is one of the local subject matter experts, he may be willing to make some local secrets public.
__________________
Me: BMW R1200GS KTM 525EXC. Gabriel: KTM 50. Elena: Honda CRF70. Lynn: Official Gatorade/snack girl!
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
DirtViking OP
SKOL!
 
DirtViking's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Oddometer: 372
Thanks! I'll see if I can track him down.

Do you know if he's riding the Shen500?
__________________
2011 1200 GSA
2012 WR450F
1970 Triumph Bonneville
DirtViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer
 
Guy Young's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Oddometer: 8,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtViking View Post
Thanks! I'll see if I can track him down.

Do you know if he's riding the Shen500?
I'm sure Alan can help you out.

Bacova - I always thought that was a strange little community. First time I rode through there it reminded me of something out of an X-Files episode. Supposedly
an ex-timber/lumber town, still not sure there isn't some weird government "stuff" going on there.

.
__________________
GB Young Services, LLC
Garage Project: http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Family/Garage-Project
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!
 
Eddy Alvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Chester,VA
Oddometer: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtViking View Post
Thanks! I'll see if I can track him down.

Do you know if he's riding the Shen500?
Probably not...He rides a big KTM 990 (quite fast and well too!)

There are other local SME's in that area as well but their names escape me right now.
__________________
Me: BMW R1200GS KTM 525EXC. Gabriel: KTM 50. Elena: Honda CRF70. Lynn: Official Gatorade/snack girl!
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
wvdirtbiker
MILES2GO
 
wvdirtbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Fayette Co & Pocahontas Co WV
Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtViking View Post
Hello,

I'm spending about 10 days this October in the Warm Springs (Bacova, Moomaw) area and am looking for some offroad riding areas.

I've been on the fire roads in the area and they are pretty good. Just looking for something that is a bit more offroad. Possibly Jeep trails? Less than an hour away from there would be perfect.

Any ideas?

Would like to meet up with locals who know the area...

Thanks,

Jon

Let me know if you find anything off road in that area. I have a place about an hour north of Bacova in WV and there are plenty of FS roads and dirt roads here, but nothing legal like you are looking for.
__________________
2005 DR-650.
2005 WR-250F (Tagged)
What you think you want and what you want are not necessarily the same thing
wvdirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer
 
Dorito's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Maryland
Oddometer: 5,100
The Trans Eastern Trail goes very near there. Track T3 is fire roads/big bike friendly. The T3 Alt 1 was small bike track (lots of river crossings/wet) and T3 alt 2 has been muddy both times I've seen it.
__________________
BlastOff Adventures

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 2,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Bacova - I always thought that was a strange little community. First time I rode through there it reminded me of something out of an X-Files episode. Supposedly
an ex-timber/lumber town, still not sure there isn't some weird government "stuff" going on there.

.
Funny you should mention this . . . um, atmosphere about Bacova, Guy Young!

Used to drive through Bacova on my way to Gathright, even BEFORE the dam . . .

I've had the same, well, suspicion of eerie and extraordinary circumstances, let's say; couldn't tie it to the government.

Ever watch the TV series, "The Prisoner?" Bacova seemed to me not unlike "The Village" of Patrick McGoohan's confinement . . . won't try to EXPLAIN, one would have to view an episode of "The Prisoner" to understand!

As I remember, a shop in Bacova manufactured some 'way cool and artistic RFD mailboxes . . . wonder if they're still in business?

Regardless, may you find roads and trails meeting your fondest expectations in the Greater Bacova Area!
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #9
DirtViking OP
SKOL!
 
DirtViking's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
The Trans Eastern Trail goes very near there. Track T3 is fire roads/big bike friendly. The T3 Alt 1 was small bike track (lots of river crossings/wet) and T3 alt 2 has been muddy both times I've seen it.

Are there any online maps that point out those areas?
__________________
2011 1200 GSA
2012 WR450F
1970 Triumph Bonneville
DirtViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #10
DirtViking OP
SKOL!
 
DirtViking's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Funny you should mention this . . . um, atmosphere about Bacova, Guy Young!

Used to drive through Bacova on my way to Gathright, even BEFORE the dam . . .

I've had the same, well, suspicion of eerie and extraordinary circumstances, let's say; couldn't tie it to the government.

Ever watch the TV series, "The Prisoner?" Bacova seemed to me not unlike "The Village" of Patrick McGoohan's confinement . . . won't try to EXPLAIN, one would have to view an episode of "The Prisoner" to understand!

As I remember, a shop in Bacova manufactured some 'way cool and artistic RFD mailboxes . . . wonder if they're still in business?

Regardless, may you find roads and trails meeting your fondest expectations in the Greater Bacova Area!
They don't manufacture those mailboxes in that community any longer. Another company bought the rights to it and the factory shut down.

The Bacova location is perfect for us. Gaithright is a few miles away, as well as Warm Springs. If you haven't rented in Warm Springs before, you'd be surprised at the amount people are asking (and getting)! Bacova is cheaper for all the reasons you guys point out...
__________________
2011 1200 GSA
2012 WR450F
1970 Triumph Bonneville
DirtViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #11
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer
 
Dorito's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Maryland
Oddometer: 5,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtViking View Post
Are there any online maps that point out those areas?
Entire downloadable GPX mapset . It's a sticky over in the Layin' Down the tracks-->GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
__________________
BlastOff Adventures

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #12
DirtViking OP
SKOL!
 
DirtViking's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
Entire downloadable GPX mapset . It's a sticky over in the Layin' Down the tracks-->GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida

Thanks!
__________________
2011 1200 GSA
2012 WR450F
1970 Triumph Bonneville
DirtViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #13
DCrider
Live from THE Hill
 
DCrider's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Oddometer: 4,046
Also check out Error Cooled's BRT map, he can email u GPS points
__________________
ADV'ing from America's fine Crapital...
DCrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #14
DirtViking OP
SKOL!
 
DirtViking's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Oddometer: 372
Will do.

Thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can track him down.

Jon
__________________
2011 1200 GSA
2012 WR450F
1970 Triumph Bonneville
DirtViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014