ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 63 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 02:34 AM   #16
silli
Into SM

Oddometer: 24
What software?

Does anybody know what software they are running in the promo video posted above? Looks like the same UI in the promo pics.
silli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:44 AM   #17
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by silli View Post
If by installation you mean the physical installation on the bike:
I swapped the included plastic ball joint plate to a metal one from Peaklife. The screw holes are exactly the same, as mentioned above. I then used the female ball joint piece from Peaklife but used a hand rail clamp from the boating section to mount it on the oversized handlebar of my 950sm. I wanted it to sit in the center and neither of the handlebar clamps will fit 'round the beefier center section.

I'm thinking about tossing the ball joint part altogether and screwing the GPS cradle directly to the hand rail clamp. This way it'll look much neater and sit quite a bit lower, closer to the bar. There's no need for adjustments anyway. Only thing stopping me from doing that is that I'd lose the quick way of taking the cradle off the bike (currently I just have to loosen a screw at the side of the lower ball joint piece and disconnect the power cable, no tools required).

If by installation you mean the software setup:
I just used the iGo8 available ahem on the internets. The version that came with the Peaklife works, but it only supports the Peaklife's lower resolution. No other installation than copying files to a micro SD card is required. Primo and iGo 8 live happily on the same card, you just have to select which one to run in the settings menu on the GPS. The main menu of the GPS is rather sucky, it has just one icon for navigation (which will launch whatever software you have chosen in the settings) and another for calendar (no use for that). You can hide these icons one by one, but there's no way of adding more as far as I can see. Would be nice to have a separate icons for iGo 8 and Primo, but then again you practically never see the menu because there's a setting for "autorun navigation on startup".

is'nt there a "favorates" menu ?
I have a generic WinCe6 GPs very similar to this (but not Waterproof) and it also came with igo8 and has a similar menu but has a "favorite" item that alows you to add a list of shortcuts to any number of programs
webmonstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:51 AM   #18
silli
Into SM

Nope

Um, nope, not that I can see. Which might also mean I haven't looked for it properly. I'll check a bit later.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #19
silli
Into SM

Checked: no favorites or any way to change how fast you can load multiple different navigation apps.

Also, I haven't been able to access the internal memory with a Mac. It mounts and shows up in Finder, but there's nothing there. That can't be right. Obviously, this is not a problem for fiddling with navigation software or maps, but it might allow for more customization of the WinCE UI. No biggie.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #20
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Quote:
Originally Posted by silli View Post
Checked: no favorites or any way to change how fast you can load multiple different navigation apps.

Also, I haven't been able to access the internal memory with a Mac. It mounts and shows up in Finder, but there's nothing there. That can't be right. Obviously, this is not a problem for fiddling with navigation software or maps, but it might allow for more customization of the WinCE UI. No biggie.
My does that if connected in snc mode (on the PC i use MS Activesync)
If i change mode to USB (storage mode) the internal memory will show up but has the strage name sdmmc( same as the card reader )
Old 08-14-2013, 05:38 AM   #21
silli
Into SM

Thanks. I guess I'll have to try the ActiveSync route - if I can fathom a proper reason to be bothered, that is.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #22
rpeter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I've just ordered one of these from Chinavision, to upgrade my Peaklife a bit. One thing about the Peaklife which was a real pain was the fact that it only supported the A2DP profile and not HFP. I'll find out soon enough whether this has changed.
rpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #23
silli
Into SM

Haven't tested the Bluetooth side at all, so let us know how it goes.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:24 AM   #24
MarkWAau
Do they serve Pinot?

Oddometer: 287
Ordered my unit tonight. It will be interesting to see if this unit suffers from power connection issues currently being discussed on the Peaklife GPS thread
MarkWAau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #25
rpeter
Adventurer

I've got the Rage now. The good news is that the built in media player now responds to AVCRP. Bluetooth autoconnect is improved but still a bit funky. On boot up it is autoconnecting, but resuming from suspend requires manual reconnect. The line out seems to be mono, I had to jiggle a stereo 3.5mm plug about to get it to work. Still no HFP option, although I'd like to try to get a registry editor running so I can try messing around with the internal settings.

edit - auto reconnect after resuming from suspend seems to sometimes work, other times not.

rpeter screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 09:14 PM
Old 08-27-2013, 02:51 AM   #26
Myway OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeter View Post
I've got the Rage now. The good news is that the built in media player now responds to AVCRP. Bluetooth autoconnect is improved but still a bit funky. On boot up it is autoconnecting, but resuming from suspend requires manual reconnect. The line out seems to be mono, I had to jiggle a stereo 3.5mm plug about to get it to work. Still no HFP option, although I'd like to try to get a registry editor running so I can try messing around with the internal settings.

edit - auto reconnect after resuming from suspend seems to sometimes work, other times not.
Someone got a navigation UI to set up a menu with several navigation software? For the "Rage".
I read that now you must change settings, and search software path on sd card for other software. Back
And then hit navigation button.
Or is the problem that you have to split the gps signal? Running two navigation softwares.

Myway screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 03:34 AM
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #27
rpeter
Adventurer

In case anyone is not aware, this thing along with four M4 12mm bolts allows you to replace the cradle ball mount, and instead use any of the assorted RAM mount option - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-28-2013, 04:27 AM   #28
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
Someone got a navigation UI to set up a menu with several navigation software? For the "Rage".
I read that now you must change settings, and search software path on sd card for other software. Back
And then hit navigation button.
Or is the problem that you have to split the gps signal? Running two navigation softwares.
You can try GStar Menu
Just copy the folder to your SDcard and change the GPS's setting
so as to point to the Gstar "Fshell.exe" file
this should start a new menu with a bunch of icons
just click on a icon to start a program

in the folder there is a config file named gstart.ini
with a bunch of examples for several programs
just remove lines you don't need
and adapt the file path to point to the programs you want
and of course change the icon jpg files to whateve you whant

Shoould work on any Wince device

you can download it from my Dropbox here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z03u829wto7nj3t/yyoBKSNQJp
Just click the "download" button on the top right corner and select "download as zip"
then just unxip the folder to your sd card

hope this helps
Old 08-28-2013, 04:29 AM   #29
MarkWAau
Do they serve Pinot?

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeter View Post
In case anyone is not aware, this thing along with four M4 12mm bolts allows you to replace the cradle ball mount, and instead use any of the assorted RAM mount option - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks rpeter! I don't suppose you have seen a mount that will connect the cradle directly to a 12mm (1/2 inch) gps bar like this:

MarkWAau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #30
rpeter
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWAau View Post
Thanks rpeter! I don't suppose you have seen a mount that will connect the cradle directly to a 12mm (1/2 inch) gps bar like this:
I imagine this will do since the mount plate on the back of the cradle is the same configuration as a Zumo - http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Cro.../dp/B009AAT0W0

edit - just try google search for something like "zumo rail mount" and you will find a number of options. I would probably go with a RAM U-bolt rail base, a long RAM arm and the plate with ball that I posted previously. That combination shouldn't be too expensive.

rpeter screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 11:32 AM