Originally Posted by Myway View Post
Sweet. Thanks!
Tickrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:03 AM   #47
spacemanvt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
how much did you guys pay for this?
its currently 118 on chinavision. i guess its on sale?

http://www.chinavasion.com/china/who...4GB_Bluetooth/
$118.99
spacemanvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:46 AM   #48
Nashcat
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Yep, it's on sale. Ordered mine last week and it should be in the mailbox today or tomorrow.

Nashcat
Nashcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #49
spacemanvt
Adventurer

anyone else have any reviews on this after using it for a while?
Old 03-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #50
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
I ordered one of these, thinking I'd be just able to go to some company website and buy their GPS software, and I've come to find that is not quite the case...

So far the only software I've found that you can buy is "DesNav", powered by "Navteq". Is that any good?

I really don't feel like jumping through loops to get some counterfeit software "kinda working" and find out, in the middle of nowhere, that I'm missing a map or that the map I have is outdated.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #51
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Well, came to find that this one http://www.beonroad.com is the same as DesNav, but cheaper. Both are very "vague" in what the license includes, but it seems that it includes a lifetime yearly update of the maps.

I think I'll be trying that one when my GPS arrives.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:21 AM   #52
silli
Into SM

Oddometer: 17
I bet there's some kind of software included when you get the device. I got iGo8 on mine.
Pirated? I wouldn't know.
silli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #53
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silli View Post
I bet there's some kind of software included when you get the device. I got iGo8 on mine.
Pirated? I wouldn't know.
Nope, no software on the device other than Windows CE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaVision

Product Notes
  • This model is compatible with most brands of GPS software - however hardware specific software such as Garmin may not run on this unit. As the wholesaler, Chinavasion provides the GPS-enabled hardware only, not the software. Chinavasion provides no warranty or customer support regarding GPS software. Chinavasion cannot provide downloads / links / advice regarding GPS software. Any software installation you undertake should be performed or supervised by a professional.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #54
silli
Into SM

Yes, that's what is says on the website –*but that does not mean there's no sw included with the unit when it ships
Old 03-18-2014, 11:54 AM   #55
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

I'll post on Thursday when my GPS arrives
Old 03-18-2014, 12:27 PM   #56
silli
Into SM

Now if I could only make iGo Primo to show unpaved roads with a different colour...
(and no, it's not the settings, as suggested earlier in this thread)
Old 03-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #57
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Nope, no software, just as it said on Chinavision... :(

Well, I'll go with beonroad.

Initial impressions are...

- It is fast. I was expecting the UI to be sluggish, but it is is quite responsive.
- Probably got updated firmware, as I was able to access the internal memory right away.
- 4.3" display sounds big, but it is tiny.
- Box is just a generic packaging, no information about the product or manufacturer.
- Reeks of cheap Chinese ABS plastic.
- The mounting hardware seems flimsy, I'll look into upgrading to a RAM mount.
- The craddle seems sturdy but also cheap.
- Unit fits the Versys 650 perfectly, attach it to the lowest part of the handlebar, next to the handlebar mount, and it fits!

Included the 12V power outlet adapter, another adapter to be wired directly to the battery, the suction cup mount and the handlebar mount.

Süsser Tod screwed with this post 03-20-2014 at 07:25 PM
Old 03-27-2014, 05:12 PM   #58
tonyd48
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Found this thread too late

I just purchased the 4.3" Motorcycle GPS waterproof "Rage" on eBay for $180.00 (U.S. all $ referenced here are U.S.); scheduled to arrive Tuesday the 1st. Was looking for maps and software suggestions and appears iGO8 is the way to go. Maps for iGO are available from www.naviextras.com: U.S. $39.95 or "rent" them for a month for $9.95 (??????????????). U.S. & Canada cost $79.95. Since I've noticed a lot of the voices on this thread are from "down under" full maps for Australia & New Zealand are $64.95 (u.s. but I bet if you login from another country the software is gonna be smart enough to recognize and post your currency. Pickle I'm having is when I created my account naviextra wanted to know what brand of unit I have and RAGE was not listed, nor was Peaklife so I just randomly picked a brand and sent an e-mail requesting recommendation for what brand to pick. Looking forward to this riding season, been years (30+) since I've been on a scoot and having a ball every sunny day we get. Rides planned this summer are CoBDR (Colorado Backroads Discovery Route); Touratech Rally in Washington state followed by doing the WA BDR and the Oregon BDR then off to the east coast for the TAT (TransAmericaTrail). And all of these "recommend" having a GPS unit. Hope the links took as these appear to be some great rides! Will post when the unit arrives and I get it up and running.
tonyd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:34 PM   #59
spacemanvt
Adventurer

Would love a full review and pics on the bike once you guys play with it more

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #60
chowchi
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi all. GPS noob here. This unit certainly seems like what I'm looking for in terms of affordability. I'm currently riding in VN. Right now I use google earth to locate forest trails to explore. Pretty much hit and miss and using printouts of the screenshots to try and figure the route out as I go. As you can imagine, trails disappear and split etc. I'd really like to be able to "trace out a route" on google earth and then input that into a gps unit like the 4.3"rage. If I could do that I'd have the security of the gps to guide me where now I just turn back if I can't guess how to continue on a trail. Can I do that with the rage without spending a ton on special software? Much thanks.
chowchi is offline   Reply With Quote