User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #256
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,001
Cool2

Picture of the dragonfly on the blanket is a pure gem.

Quite a ride and a great report. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Congrats to Zina also for her report, complementary and most entertaining too.

Guess, it's time for pie now, and well deserved!
Old 10-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #257
hanksmybuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Great ride report. I've had my URAL Gear Up now one year but have yet to take it on any overniters much less something like this. Just got back from 12 day trip up to BC Ride Report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=924086 and thought how much fun it would have been to be on the Gear Up in places. It's the getting up there part that would not be fun.

Again, great report. A URAL and a good dog....how could you not have fun?
hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #258
h2o_snow
Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer: 641
Enjoyed it!

The wifey just strolled in and asked "what are you reading?"

I replied "sidecar w/ two friends & two dogs Canada to Mexico"

She thought it was cool.

There is hope!
Over the hills where the spirits fly,
I really don't know.
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #259
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Great report!!! Thanks for writing it.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #260
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,252

Anything new done with the ride report? I want to see why the Ural is in pieces and up on blocks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #261
dave6253
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,841
Awesome report! For the first time in my life I have the urge to own a sidecar rig so I can enjoy adventures with my dog, Tank.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #262
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 5,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWriter View Post

Anything new done with the ride report? I want to see why the Ural is in pieces and up on blocks.
Yup, what she said.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #263
Doug329
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Cdr

WOW....Just a super RR. We did the CDR last August, and your report made me relive what was one of our best adventures to date. Thanks for taking the time and sharing with us all.

Your writing style is envied by us mere mortals. I'm still laughing over some of your descriptions and quotes.ie." canned digestive distress"....

I wish you and Lola many more years of safe and enjoyable three wheeling. Best to Wayne, Zina , and Simon also...

Ride Safe,
Doug

Doug329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:27 AM   #264
rebelpacket OP
four-stroke earth-saw

Oddometer: 723
Epilogue

After enjoying many weeks OFF the Ural, and on other steeds (I can see why that car thing really took off), I finally cleared a full day to take everything apart.

(A table full of Ural parts. Really not much too it all).

So, the lingering question: Why take it all apart?

I noticed about 3/4 through the ride that my butt was getting sore twice as fast in the saddle. Even on relatively nice roads, I felt like I had been running through a cornfield backwards. On the way home, I noticed this:

The welds on the seat bracket didn't crack; The thinner material at the base did. The seat was canted to one side and had some movement to it, which was wearing my left-hand buttock rather quickly.

I also noticed this spreading crack from the spotlight on the sidecar. Not a big deal, but it did make me worry about the rest of the frame and sidecar welds.

I also found several cracks along the sidecar tub too.

So, I took everything apart, cleaned up the welded areas of the frame and sidecar supports. More to see how everything had held up, more than out of absolute necessity.

The motor went off to Unique Rides in Fort Collins, CO to have Randy put a new main seal put in. (Spent most of that day oogling the Royal Enfields he has in stock and stuffing my face with Beau-Jeaus Pizza).

I split open the final drive. There was an abnormal amount of swarf on the drain plug after the trip, which I attributed to the unknown time spent running without a filler plug and oil in Wyoming. I was more concerned with the condition of the gears, bearings and ...

This small passageway which is part of delivering lubricating oil to the 2WD system.

Pinion gear looked good...

Teeth on the ring gear have a nice, solid mesh pattern too.

All in all, the Ural held up very good considering the speeds and roads involved. Despite leaking through part of the ride, the rear main seal did its job for the rest of the ride. The cracked seat pan and sidecar tub cracks were all easily fixed with a drill and a welder.

Lessons Learned:

Pack lighter. I brought so many spare parts and extra tools that I don't think I really needed. I could have left most of them at home with quick shipping instructions for Kait and saved myself the trouble. I did not need two sets of wheel bearings, spare brake pads, THREE heavy-duty spare tubes, and an entire spare clutch lever & perch.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #265
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,582
Thanks for the follow up. While you have the tub off you might think about LineX on the inside and bottom section that faces the road surface. It will stiffen up the whole tub less flex and fight rust to some degree.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #266
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,001
Follow up greatly appreciated.

What were the causes for the various cracks in the welds? Was it all from the rugged terrain, load or others? I had not the impression that you were pushing the GU to the limit.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #267
rebelpacket OP
four-stroke earth-saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme View Post
While you have the tub off you might think about LineX on the inside and bottom section that faces the road surface. It will stiffen up the whole tub less flex and fight rust to some degree.
Good tip! I'll look into that, though I am hesitant to do anything that adds MORE weight to the rig. Its a pig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
What were the causes for the various cracks in the welds? Was it all from the rugged terrain, load or others? I had not the impression that you were pushing the GU to the limit.
The crack on the seat is just poor design. Its a REALLY beefy seat bracket, a REALLY beefy seat mount, and a plate about 1/2 the thickness. I'm no spring chicken at 200 lbs, so I guess something had to give.

The cracks on the sidecar are just abuse. A lot of the ride was high speed (40-50mph) dirt-road cruising with hammering washboards and rocks.

The spotlight isn't mounted very well, so I think that developed as a result of a sub-par mounting ring.

The sidecar cracks I'll just chalk up to lots of high-frequency vibrations, thunks, clunks and what-have-you. IMWA covered all the repairs under warranty.

Several other people have spoken up about similar cracks on their sidecars, though they never got any worse, or caused structural failures. Maybe its just the old girl "settling-in".
Old 11-26-2013, 05:17 AM   #268
sophijo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
buttocks

BTW....when you're referring to individual buttock halves I believe the correct
medical term is "Bahdinski", unless ofcourse you are referring to the Kardosianski sisters, then the correct term is buttasauris, or buttasauriisimo (Eyetalian).
Great report! Enjoyed your ride with the pooch! Thanks!
sophijo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #269
Wingfixer
Watch this...

Oddometer: 2,703
Godzilla approves of this thread! We have begun looking for a good, used Ural....

He would also like to meet Lola. He feels they would have a lot in common as he is also a pervasive pooper and enjoys covering any and everything in pee.

And I will add that if you ever find yourself in Baltimore let me know, I would love to buy you dinner and a few beers for some more stories of Ural adventure!
Old 12-22-2013, 03:56 AM   #270
rebelpacket OP
four-stroke earth-saw

Most excellent! Next time I find myself in the Baltimore area, I'll look you up!

Never too late to get your pooch started in a Ural. Lola was 10 years old the first time she rode in one. I'm sure Godzilla would love it too!

Used ones are not super common, but can be found if you're up for a drive. Try to get anything 2007 and newer, as they have the best improvements over the 2000-2006 range.

Good luck! I hope to read about your travels with Godzilla someday, or maybe team up for a doggie sidecar super-ride. :)

-Alex & Lola