Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #31
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
That's great!
Whole site is comedy gold. He's into bikes too, so there are a few good bike-related ones. The "teaching my girlfriend to ride" one had me literally pissing myself laughing as I can picture exactly how that panned out.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:46 AM   #32
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
..."Idiot, what were you thinking!"
I've said that many many times to myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #33
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
I once hauled a 150lb fire that I wanted, almost 2 miles on my back. The people giving it away were most amused that I didn't have a van. It is unbelievable how unwieldy a shape a door is when it is that heavy!
Test lift in their car park: "Ah, this is easy, I can lift way more than this!"
100 yards down the road: "Idiot, what were you thinking!"
Must have an asbestos suit.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #34
davidbeinct
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
Must have an asbestos suit.
Also, it must take a lot of fire to weigh 150 lbs.

David B.
davidbeinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:26 AM   #35
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,792
Cl

Yeah, CL needs some work for sure. Scammers get away with anything. 2009 GSXR for $2900... Hello, fake!

I love the "I really like it" people. I have had so many say that they really like whatever I am selling but the have to check with "XYZ" before they buy.

The last guy I met up with and let him test ride the bike. He was out for 20 minutes. He said he really liked it BUT had to check with his buddy...WTF? I asked him if he or his buddy would be buying the bike?

I had asked him before I left to meet up, if he liked it would he buy it and he said Yes. So I trailered it out to him an hour away from me.

I thought I had qualified the buyer enough, but some people just lie to get a test ride.

I sold it to the next guy that liked it and had cash.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #36
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
Yeah, CL needs some work for sure. Scammers get away with anything. 2009 GSXR for $2900... Hello, fake!

Don't see too many ads like that. I do see way more over priced(legitimate) bikes on CL than at dealerships though!

I love the "I really like it" people. I have had so many say that they really like whatever I am selling but the have to check with "XYZ" before they buy.

The last guy I met up with and let him test ride the bike. He was out for 20 minutes. He said he really liked it BUT had to check with his buddy...WTF? I asked him if he or his buddy would be buying the bike?

I had asked him before I left to meet up, if he liked it would he buy it and he said Yes. So I trailered it out to him an hour away from me.

I thought I had qualified the buyer enough, but some people just lie to get a test ride.

I sold it to the next guy that liked it and had cash.
Another inmate I know had a guy come out and test ride a K75 he was selling. The guy was gone for well over an hour. When he returned he said "I'll have to check on a taller seat for the bike"(which they do make). Never saw or heard from him again. Really? A f@^*king hour plus "test" ride and then you just walk away? Worthless POS...
I never drive to meet someone wanting to buy from me, with one exception below. If they want it bad enough they'll come and get it!
I did drive about 15 minutes for a guy driving thru from NC to PA who wanted some tires and rims I had for sale cheap. I knew he'd take them at the price I was asking. Deal went down without a hitch!

A response to a boating forum ad I had posted for a friends whitewater canoe he was selling at a great price...
One guy ask me to drive it to him, two plus hours away(one way) to "look" at it. Then he got an attitude when I/we told him "no". Here's something to look at...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #37
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
... I never drive to meet someone wanting to buy from me, with one exception below. If they want it bad enough they'll come and get it!
I'm the opposite. I NEVER do the sale at my house. I don't want some of the scary crazy people from CL that have bought things from me to know where I live. I always meet them at the gas station a few miles from my house, and then I wait to leave a few minutes after they're gone.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #38
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschance View Post
Yeah, I love the 'what's your lowest price?' emails.
What amazes me is when I call a seller, and the first thing he tells me is his lowest price, which is lower than the asking price in the ad...and I didn't even counter-offer yet. Must be very adverse to haggling.

When I sold my last bike, the first guy to respond drove 3.5 hours that night, and handed me cash (full asking price) before he test rode it. My asking price was on the high side, but still fair. My wife made him iced tea, while I helped him load it and tie it down. Nice guy.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #39
Sidecar Jockey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
I LOVE Craigslist. Between my Dad and I, we have probably bought about 20 motorcycles, ALL on Craigslist. Yes, we might be motorcycle hoarders and we do have a 'problem'.

I use Craigslist, because I would rather buy a busted bike and pay WAY less, than pay top dollar for a pristine one. I enjoy fixing / restoring bikes, so that's part of the experience for me. I get a good laugh at some of the stuff that previous owners screwed up, and I enjoy meeting all of the 'characters' that sell said screwed up bikes. Its part of the experience for me, and I like turning wrenches, painting, polishing, and fabricating.

If I did NOT want to have to work on a bike, I would NOT buy it on Craigslist... without being very careful and doing a very thorough inspection. I would also expect to pay top dollar for a mint well maintained bike.

I have also sold a few bikes on Craigslist. My email and common sense are pretty good at filtering out spam and scammers. I have gotten some REALLY good trade offers. Like a 1982 Lincoln town car limo... brand new interior, 'pimped' out... but it does not run and it pictured sitting on blocks in someone's back yard. Racing lawn mowers and guns are probably the two things most often offered as trades... even though ALL of my ads say "NO TRADES".
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:50 AM   #40
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
Racing lawn mowers and guns are probably the two things most often offered as trades... even though ALL of my ads say "NO TRADES".

I have sold two dozen bikes and never been offered either of those.

America...
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:44 AM   #41
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post

I have sold two dozen bikes and never been offered either of those.

America...
I've never been offered a racing lawnmower. Good thing too, I probably would have taken it.

Plenty of gun offers though. Almost took one, I was selling a 250 ninja and the guy wanted it bad. Kept adding more guns to the list. Ended up at an AR-15, Beretta 9mm, .50 cal muzzle loader, and a 20 gauge of some sort. I forget the brand, wasn't a very good one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #42
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
A couple of times I've emailed people correcting some pertinent information just trying to be helpful. Usually something like the model of the bike when they're clueless. ("Kawazuki Ninja zx-650 for sale" - actually you have a Kawasaki ZX-6...)

Never get a response though.
Yeah, I've done that a few times. Usually as a "hey, just a heads up...".
I've gotten a few replies thanking me. No big deal, either way.
JustRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #43
KansasKawboy
KK

Oddometer: 708
One time I was selling a pickup truck and got a call from a woman who's first question was if I had ever hauled a motorcycle in it. After asking a few more silly questions she asked if I was home alone. Turns out she wasn't looking for a truck but something that rhymes with truck. I didn't take her up on it.

If everyone is crazy does that make it 'normal'?-claude
KansasKawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #44
Altego
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I have also bought and sold all kinds of junk on Craigslist and never had an issue. I have even broken all the rules like selling at my house, taking checks and letting prospective buyers go for test rides and nothing crazy has ever happened. I am feeling a little left out here
Old 08-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #45
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 601
My brother just sold his 1980 Yamaha Seca 650 RJ (shaft drive european style) bike, with about 35,000 miles on it for $1500 on Craigslist. It was a great/strong runner, Rifle faring, Krauser Starlet bags, custom made aluminum tail rack, original paint/seat/exhaust, lots of engine/chassis updates (all work I did). He bought it back in 95 for $900, enjoyed it many years and now a collector 300 miles away has it.

Guy drove four hours, in his pickup, brought cash, didn't haggle one bit on the price. Went to a good home, all via Craigslist.