Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #61
shakeybone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
I was selling a bike and got an e-mail from a self appointed expert that was telling me that my asking price was too high. He didn't make a offer or even have any interest in the bike at any price. When I would not lower the price he posted an add saying watch out for this bike because I was asking too much.
In the meantime Motorcycle Classics Magazine saw my bike for sale and featured it in there magazine and said the price was reasonable.
Sold the bike to a guy that offered me a few hundred less than I was asking.
shakeybone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #62
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeybone View Post
I was selling a bike and got an e-mail from a self appointed expert that was telling me that my asking price was too high. He didn't make a offer or even have any interest in the bike at any price. When I would not lower the price he posted an add saying watch out for this bike because I was asking too much.
In the meantime Motorcycle Classics Magazine saw my bike for sale and featured it in there magazine and said the price was reasonable.
Sold the bike to a guy that offered me a few hundred less than I was asking.
I get that magazine,what bike was that? They have some great articles and pics.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #63
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,876
I actually sold my 'Vette through CL. Guy right in town w/cash. Imagine that.
I keep re-listing my ZX11 on there only 'cause it's free. Have gotten some interesting emails from that. Maybe one guy that was OK, the other 100 were complete assholes.

CW
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #64
shakeybone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I get that magazine,what bike was that? They have some great articles and pics.
Yamaha 650 Seca, It was a few years ago in there Under the Radar section.
shakeybone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #65
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
A bike is worth what a BUYER will pay. To YOU it may be 6 times too much. To someone wanting the bike it may be priced right.
Yup - Someone just up the street from me had an untitled DR350 for sale on CL for $500. Thinking it might make a partner to my own DR350 (or at least a good source of spares, I went to have a look). The bike wouldn't start and sounded like a bag of nails when I kicked it over. It looked like every seal in the engine was leaking. It also had a ripped seat, totally blown suspension at both ends, bent bars, bent and broken levers, missing sidestand, cracked plastic, etc. In my opinion, it was worth $100 as a bike and maybe $200 for spares (but not to me) which he took fairly well. I found out later that he sold it the next day for close to the asking price. Someone either had a whole lot of free time to correct all the faults or is still looking at that POS wondering how they were so stupid.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 08-08-2013 at 08:50 AM
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #66
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Yup - Someone just up the street from me had an untitled DR350 for sale on CL for $500. Thinking it might make a partner to my own DR350 (or at least a good source of spares, I went to have a look). The bike wouldn't start and sounded like a bag of nails when I kicked it over. It looked like every seal in the engine was leaking. It also had a ripped seat, totally blown suspension at both ends, bent bars, bent and broken levers, missing sidestand, cracked plastic, etc. In my opinion, it was worth $100 as a bike and maybe $200 for spares (but not to me) which he took fairly well. I found out later that he sold it the next day for close to the asking price. Someone either had a whole lot of free time to correct all the faults or is still looking at that POS wondering how they were so stupid.
Thats maybe more then twice what its worth,the 500 that is. I drug home a complete 91 DR250 in rough shape for free the other day,it got thrown in with an RM 250.
Its more the guys asking 2 grand for rusted junk that catch my eye,and they're out there. Most are just fooling around on CL because its free,like kids playing. If it cost money they wouldnt be there listing their junk.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #67
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Thats maybe more then twice what its worth,the 500 that is. I drug home a complete 91 DR250 in rough shape for free the other day,it got thrown in with an RM 250.
Its more the guys asking 2 grand for rusted junk that catch my eye,and they're out there. Most are just fooling around on CL because its free,like kids playing. If it cost money they wouldnt be there listing their junk.
Someone gave me a DR350, it was even registered, the owner took apart the carb and it was leaking gas real bad where he touched it. I couldn't get it to start. Blue book was about $1000. I listed it for $500. Someone came the next morning, drove 200 + miles and gave me $450.

Another time, I had a bike listed, some chick sends me some pictures of her boyfriends bike. I asked if they were interested in mine, no, she just wanted me to see his. So I replied, telling them what a piece of shit his bike was, asked her to send me a picture of her, nude, or at least her tits, and offered to rent her for a half hour, depending entirely on what she looked like. I never got a response, go figure.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #68
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Someone gave me a DR350, it was even registered, the owner took apart the carb and it was leaking gas real bad where he touched it. I couldn't get it to start. Blue book was about $1000. I listed it for $500. Someone came the next morning, drove 200 + miles and gave me $450.

Another time, I had a bike listed, some chick sends me some pictures of her boyfriends bike. I asked if they were interested in mine, no, she just wanted me to see his. So I replied, telling them what a piece of shit his bike was, asked her to send me a picture of her, nude, or at least her tits, and offered to rent her for a half hour, depending entirely on what she looked like. I never got a response, go figure.
Its hard to believe she didnt jump at the chance on that one.

Free bikes can be good,rarely bad. A guy responded to an add I had put out looking for bikes.

He delivered a shiny clean SP500 with current sticker,title,the whole deal.
He explained it had a leak he couldnt fix from from a thrown chain.
He'd had it welded,still leaked,it was junk.

I had a look,the rubber piece that goes to the stator and seals where the wires go in was leaking,I sealed it,it fired up ran fine.

Then I traded it for a 69/70 500 triple Kawi mostly in parts with extras.
I think that brought 4500.00 or slightly more when sold in small parts.
You just never know.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #69
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,181
Quote:
To a point. A ratted out stripped 91 Virago with no paperwork wont bring 3 grand,no buyer will look at that.
The amount of bikes being sold on CL w/o titles is amazing...

I called about a bike once and the guy basically admitted to me that he ran out of money, so took insurance money on his bike, and was not trying to sell it w/o a title, as it was listed as 'stolen' to anyone with a computer.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:20 AM   #70
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Ad kept getting flagged. Went to CL online message board and asked why? Everyone said the price was too high...that's more than likely why people were flagging the ad.
WTF? So there are people out there who have nothing better to do than flag ads they don't like or don't agree with the asking price?
To that end, others who have similar items for sale could possibly flag your ad so they don't have any competition...
Yup. That's exactly what happens. I was selling a Canadian Spec Civic hatchback in Tennessee. It was an SE model, which they never made in the US. I clearly indicated in the listing that the car was from Canada, and what differentiates the SE model. (more standard features, different color,etc.) It kept getting flagged for removal, and the forums basically said "There is no such thing as an SE model", "Price to high" or "It's been painted. They never had that color on a hatchback".

As long as someone else was selling a Civic hatch, my ad would get flagged for removal. It's how they eliminate the competition.
Eventually I was able to get it listed, and after three days of it being on Craigslist I had located every crack smoking illiterate meth head alcoholic idiot within 30 miles.

I paid about $30 to list it on Autotrader and had 4 credible people interested in it within 2 days.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:32 AM   #71
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by GapRunr View Post

I paid about $30 to list it on Autotrader and had 4 credible people interested in it within 2 days.
When I had that truck for sale all the auto sale rags and online places kept calling, trying to get me to pay them to list the truck.

What part of "it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests" do they not f**king understand?
One place in Florida kept calling even after I asked them numerous times to stop bothering me. POS's would ask questions about the truck like they were a potential customer. After about three questions I figured out who it was.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #72
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,835
I scored a nice early 90s mountain bike to fix up for my wife for 50 bucks on craigslist the other day, I am meeting somebody to sell my iphone today and hopefully I will be meeting somebody to buy a different iphone today. (I need a different one for a different service provider.)

I just haven't had many bad experiences with craigslist.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #73
DepthFinder
Portly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...ALru9IJk#at=11

But save your energy, your journey here is far from over.
DepthFinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #74
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,658
I'm currently trying to sell 3 motorcycles. Two are in good running condition and the third has carb problems that I don't have the time to repair before I leave. Some of the crazy low-ball offers I've been getting just boggle my mind. It's not even like I'm asking high prices, I have them priced on the low end of reasonable, hoping to sell quickly, but I get people emailing me asking if I'll take $400 for a bike I'm listing for $1100, without ever having even looked at it. And then they add that it's $400 cash, as if that somehow sweetens the pot. Of course it's gonna be cash, I'm sure as hell not taking a check, even for my asking price.

Haven't had anybody actually insult me yet, though. I'm sure it's coming as I start responding to these low-ball wackos.
SloMo228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #75
Altego
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Yeah, but look where you live. Only place I'd think of meeting someone around here would be in the local police station parking lot.
Point taken, I never considered that.