Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2013, 03:46 AM   #76
GordoS
Pawn in game of life

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
...I get people emailing me asking if I'll take $400 for a bike I'm listing for $1100, without ever having even looked at it.
This...

CL is a favorite rant of mine. I will not use CL unless there is no other way to recoup some money from something I want to get rid of...and it mainly ends up being fairly bulky things I do not want to Ebay or Amazon (like motorcycles). I've had too many experiences, even giving away things away on CL (like a working fridge), where folks say "I'll take it..." and never show. You are wasting my time -- and that, to me, is worth something.

I've sold a couple bikes through CL, but I just delete about 75% of the emails I get without a reply, usually a low/lower offers. How the heck am I supposed to take a buyer seriously if you are going to make an offer, any offer, without actually looking at the bike in person? I've gone to look at a couple of bikes where the picture(s) did not come close to capturing the work needed to clean the bike up to the "great shape" in the ad. Since I have sold fairly new bikes (2008, 2010) they are in that range of "shouldn't need work, but could need work..."

I think I price bikes fairly reasonably, starting with what I want to get and factoring in KBB, some research from Cycle Trader and EBay "sold" items ("sold" is what the market will bear, not what someone thinks all those farkles are worth), and the MCN semi-annual used bike values. So I am reasonably confident that someone offering me $7K for my bike listed at $10.5K doesn't know what they are talking about.

Cheers,
Old 08-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #77
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordoS View Post
This...
So I am reasonably confident that someone offering me $7K for my bike listed at $10.5K doesn't know what they are talking about.

Cheers,
That or they may agree with you that it is worth the $10K but they only have $7k.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #78
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
That or they may agree with you that it is worth the $10K but they only have $7k.
My cousin did that looking for a lawnmower and got it. Listed for $4500, he e-mail the guy and said he only has 2500 but will buy it if the guy is interested. Picked it up that day. He even admits that it was worth more, that was just all he had at the time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #79
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,421
The best was my sister. She was giving away a non-operational rear projection TV about 7 or 8 years (needed a $150 part). Every fruitloop is attracted to this heap-o-junk like a bug to a light.

Anyhow, after no less than a zillion no shows, someone finally comes to her house. Then run out of gas at the end of the drive way, so she gives them 5 gallons to get them gone. Then they ask for another $20 to get home.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #80
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
I had a fridge in my garage when I bought the house. It was old and looked a bit rough, but worked fine. I just wanted it out of my garage. Guys comes to pick it up alone, so I had to help him load it. We get it in the back of the truck standing up and he doesn't have any straps. He says it'll be fine. He doesn't hardly even make it out of my driveway and it tips backwards. He stops and backs back into my driveway and then tells me he doesn't want it because it doesn't likely work now. We had some semi-tense words and I made it clear if he even tries to unload that fridge I'd be making some phone calls to the police. He left in a rather angry mood.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:20 AM   #81
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
The best was my sister. She was giving away a non-operational rear projection TV about 7 or 8 years (needed a $150 part). Every fruitloop is attracted to this heap-o-junk like a bug to a light.

Anyhow, after no less than a zillion no shows, someone finally comes to her house. Then run out of gas at the end of the drive way, so she gives them 5 gallons to get them gone. Then they ask for another $20 to get home.

That's classic!
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #82
DS Hobo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Here's a buyer(?) who just needs you to trust him a little . . .

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3951236666.html

I need a sport bike/stunt bike for ride of the century (lakewood)
So my motor locked up on my bike and o need a new bike for roc and I dont have money for a new bike and I tried to finance one but I cant so if somebody could give me a sport bike on payments preferably a stunt bike cause I really dont wanna miss roc this year so if anyone can help me out call or txt me at 414-426-XXXX if no answer leave a msg stunt bike . Gsxr . F4i . Yamaha . Suzuki . Kawasaki . Honda .

Does someone have a good Ducati they could loan this unfortunate soul?
DS Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #83
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,285
We recently hauled a working dryer to the dump that I listed several times on CL as free.
Also had it in the local bulletin board paper a few times.

"Works, free. You pick up."

Had a few that said they wanted it, and never showed up.
Had many more that said they would take it but had no truck to haul it home.

"can you deliver it?"

Yep, for $50.
"but you said it was free"

It is, but gas isn't.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #84
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
I had a fridge in my garage when I bought the house. It was old and looked a bit rough, but worked fine. I just wanted it out of my garage. Guys comes to pick it up alone, so I had to help him load it. We get it in the back of the truck standing up and he doesn't have any straps. He says it'll be fine. He doesn't hardly even make it out of my driveway and it tips backwards. He stops and backs back into my driveway and then tells me he doesn't want it because it doesn't likely work now. We had some semi-tense words and I made it clear if he even tries to unload that fridge I'd be making some phone calls to the police. He left in a rather angry mood.
lol.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:09 AM   #85
ChaoSS402
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
We recently hauled a working dryer to the dump that I listed several times on CL as free.
Also had it in the local bulletin board paper a few times.

"Works, free. You pick up."

Had a few that said they wanted it, and never showed up.
Had many more that said they would take it but had no truck to haul it home.

"can you deliver it?"

Yep, for $50.
"but you said it was free"

It is, but gas isn't.
Easiest way to get rid of something for free is to stick it out, late in the day, with a sign that say 50 dollars.

Leave it out overnight, and someone is likely to steal it.
ChaoSS402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #86
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Works like a champ here.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #87
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS402 View Post
Easiest way to get rid of something for free is to stick it out, late in the day, with a sign that say 50 dollars.

Leave it out overnight, and someone is likely to steal it.
That has worked for me several times. People won't take something worthless. Put a price on it and suddenly its desirable.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #88
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

I listed it as free, hoping that it would go to someone who needed a dryer but couldn't afford one.
Turns out the folks in that position are there because they are too lazy to even get off their asses to pick up a free one.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #89
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Probably my favorite bargaining technique... you don't offend them, and they have a cash offer. I usually try to say, maybe I can get more, but it'll take some time if they're not into it. I did show up short once and had to go back to the ATM for a couple hundred more. Maybe I'm an arsehole. EDIT: Ok, 70% is a pretty low offer, I don't stoop that low.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #90
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski View Post
Probably my favorite bargaining technique... you don't offend them, and they have a cash offer. I usually try to say, maybe I can get more, but it'll take some time if they're not into it. I did show up short once and had to go back to the ATM for a couple hundred more. Maybe I'm an arsehole. EDIT: Ok, 70% is a pretty low offer, I don't stoop that low.
Before the days of the internet and Craigslist I had a 4x4 van for sale for $4,000 in a local sale rag. Stupid punk ass kid shows up ready to buy.

Kid: I only brought $3,000 with me. Let me take the title into town. I'll stop by the bank on the way to get the title transferred and bring you the other $1,000 when I come back with my new tags.

Me: NO, you go get the entire $4,000 THEN I'll sign the title over...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote