ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #16
nomad guy
A legal alien

Oddometer: 813
One needs to remember that the "Adventure" segment is mainly a genius marketing branding tool that makes us keep spending our money.
Since it is a constantly growing market every manufacturer with his definition of it and with his budget for r&d.
I too own an "Adventure" bike, its a great bike, but the longest ride i had on it was a 4 days ride.
On the other hand i spent 6 month riding India on Royal Enfield in the early 90s' and it was a great adventure. Circumnavigated Australia on a XT550 with a duffel bag strapped to the rear rack.
What you are seeing are trends dictated by the marketing departments.
The adventure is in your head not with our constant chase for the perfect "Adventure" bike and the perfect "Adventure" gear.

04 KTM ADV 950S GO!!!!!
09 KTM 690 ENDURO R
nomad guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #17
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by salvadorfrieri View Post
Something like this?

Very cool bike Salvador ... y carrisimo en Colombia, no? Y, muy pesada tambien. Como 230 kgs.

This weight is what BMW claim to be the "wet weight". I doubt this ... and would bet a dollar it's at least 530 lbs. wet. .. or more.
Now ... fill up your hard bags (about 40 lbs. alone, unloaded) with all your crap ... now what weight are you up to?

To me, this bike goes down a dead end road for anyone serious about exploring off road. Sure, it's smaller, lighter than the 1200 GS, but not all that much lighter in the ADV form shown above.
If you stay on road ... or only ever do easy dirt roads ... PERFECT. But I for one would never take that bike on a trail of any kind, or into deep sand or mud. YMMV.

Here is my "middle of the road" bike. And it's dirt cheap too ....

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 08:46 PM Reason: grammer, sp
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #18
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad guy View Post
One needs to remember that the "Adventure" segment is mainly a genius marketing branding tool that makes us keep spending our money.
Since it is a constantly growing market every manufacturer with his definition of it and with his budget for r&d.
I too own an "Adventure" bike, its a great bike, but the longest ride i had on it was a 4 days ride.
On the other hand i spent 6 month riding India on Royal Enfield in the early 90s' and it was a great adventure. Circumnavigated Australia on a XT550 with a duffel bag strapped to the rear rack.
What you are seeing are trends dictated by the marketing departments.
The adventure is in your head not with our constant chase for the perfect "Adventure" bike and the perfect "Adventure" gear.
Spot on Guy! Plus ++++ 10
Old 07-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #19
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,436
I have a GSA and a 530 EXC....and I can tell you that I love them both for the jobs they are made for. The GSA is a very capable bike offroad - if you are willing to stay on the gas and keep it moving. Slow down and you're done. In the mud/sand it's a beast, but with decent tires it will go better than you'd think. There are two huge problems though:

First, if you are really "adventure riding" then having a 600lb behemoth just does not work. They fall like a brick and are a bitch to pick up on any sort of incline / soft ground. Anytime you want to do a water crossing or get into a spot where you need to cross over stuff, you really need to watch the weight. For instance, using local bridges or little boats - it's very easy to find out you just can't use local transport and then need to go far out of your way to get to the other side. It really doesn't help that people tend to overpack like manhattan women at a shoe sale on the big bikes either.

Secondly, there is the issue of crashing. Although to be fair, I will say the big KTM's are much better at taking the hits without so much damage compared to the BMW's. crashing on the big bikes can cause a lot of damage which costs a bundle to fix, and take more time to do the work on, generally because there's just more stuff that needs to come apart to do the work.

The 530 however, is just plain fantastic for serious trail work - that you need to ride too. I say that because ideally it would be great to ride a 200 on trails where the lighter weight and better maneuverability is just that much better. But I've done 200 mile days on it (mixture road / dirt) and its just a gem. The only thing I would do is get FI so I am not fiddling with a carb, but even then, that brings its own issues - so again, for true "adventure riding" I personally think a carb is an advantage. Also, it helps with the overpacking issues, you can pick it up yourself, it will out handle any big bike offroad and is very easy to work on.

For me, it's a clear delineation; the GSA is for my long rides/tours that gives me the option for some light offroad to get to out of the way places a true touring bike can't do, and the 530 for true offroading/camping/adventure riding. It's a lot faster on the road than people think too - but the small oil capacity limits the kind of riding where you'd be putting on high mileage highway riding.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #20
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,302
Had another thought on this topic. I was watching a photographer a bit ago taking pictures of a balloon race. The guy had the best of equipment, but it was all the latest Nikon stuff -- very heavy. He kept looking at me and my Fuji X-Pro1 -- a mirrorless "gizmo" that harkens back to the Leica that once was -- little small cameras that just worked.

We probably got very similar shots, but when I got home, my back didn't hurt.
Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #21
Tumbleweed ADV OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
The 'ADVENTURE' bike marketing trend is saving the motorcycle and the hard parts manufacturers.
Tumbleweed ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #22
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,937
If I was predominately single seat touring I would go with a 600ish bike. Probably an 690 with a larger tank and fairing. I have done about 100,000ks since April last year on a 950 and 990 across all sorts of stuff. At the moment I am doing the TCAT solo - I got stuck (as in needed to find someone to help) last week crossing some stuff I wouldn't think twice about on a 690, a flat front on a gravel road saw me down the road, wouldn't likely not have happened on a 690.

But I travel mostly with my wife and can ride a 990 loaded, two-up down gravel roads at 100km/h + all day long even 120-140 is generally not a problem. Also I can still spin the back wheel at 130 on gravel and get it sideways with a 990 - I would struggle to do that on 690.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #23
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
for me i spend a lot of time on the blacktop to get where the adventure begins.. So something to get there in comfort is a must, but then i want something to take down the single tracks and mini jumps etc.. i encounter as well.. so I guess its something that can handle both.. and although the f800 was appealing, the 1190 r seemed to be better off road and MUCH better on road..

I wouldnt take it around a motoX track but Id take it anywhere I would take the KLX 650A but i'd also feel comfort when i hit the road for the ride home again..
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #24
salvadorfrieri
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Very cool bike Salvador ... y carrisimo en Colombia, no? Y, muy pesada tambien. Como 230 kgs.
I wouldn't know... This one's mine:

salvadorfrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #25
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,937
Its the weight. I travel pretty light by Friday myself. But loaded and gased up I am still toting 300 kgs when I ran it over the scale yesterday. (I was very surprised to be this heavy)

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #26
Bones_GSXR
Barb's Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by salvadorfrieri View Post
Something like this?

No Something like this:
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my children's throats.
Bones_GSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:30 AM   #27
Fundy Rider
Where 2?

Oddometer: 233
I think adventure touring is all about compromise. What are you willing to give up for what you want and how your going to ride and where.

Another thought is with the 950/990 as your skill improves and are willing to commit the bike becomes lighter in a sense. Ok its still heavy but if your ride it like a dirt bike and are willing to and able to I don't think there is any better bike out there.

As soon as you pucker up it changes everything in a negative sense. The thing is the consequences can be so bad with the big ktm. I always trying to improve my skill level and find myself doing things I never would have years ago but also keep the mind set and talk to myself to remind me what I am riding and doing so I try to keep maybe ten percent back from the limit giving me a little cushion as these bikes go from feeling light to heavy really fast.

So what if I have to go a little slower in the technical stuff anyways. I am not racing I am out to enjoy my bike.

For a one do it all you couldn't take this bike and there is no better!
Old 07-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #28
ColoradoBigfoot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
thank you KTM image Bones. Very nice looking bike!...even better when viewed next to the BMW
ColoradoBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #29
Tumbleweed ADV OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
comfort is easier than loosing weighthttp://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/icon10.gif

My goal is to get that 690 of mine as comfortable as possible to get down the
slab, so when I get to the real part of the ride "the trails" I'm not exhausted
and still have a 300 pound bike with 75 hp.
Tumbleweed ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #30
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed ADV View Post
My goal is to get that 690 of mine as comfortable as possible to get down the
slab, so when I get to the real part of the ride "the trails" I'm not exhausted
and still have a 300 pound bike with 75 hp.
300 lbs. with all your gear on board? 75 HP? I'd like to find that Dyno you got 75 HP out of! (60 HP in stock form is more realistic) Still, way stronger than my 35 HP DR650! But on an ADV travel bike, HP isn't everything ... in fact ... it's good for nothing.

If you ever get out of the Northwet ... and more than 1000 miles from home, I'd say at that point you'll start learning what compromise really is, and what works for YOU. The reality for many is that ADV Travel (or RTW) won't take you to pristine single track everyday. If you do find good trail riding, I'd suggest unloading your bike and ride Day Loops, take only basics.

If your desire is to ride single track or trails everyday ... then you're on the wrong bike ... and you'd be better off staying close to home as Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Nor Cal have some of the BEST trail riding IN THE WORLD ... and I'd rather have a KTM 500 for that. For good trails, the grass is NOT greener anywhere else. But RTW type travel is very different.

As mentioned, on the long road in international situations all your priorities can change and ideas about "what bike is best" may shift. Good luck out there. It'd be nice to see more 690 riders getting out and doing RTW ... with success and lack of problems.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 12:18 PM