User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
dirt_bloke OP
No idea

Oddometer: 793
1992 Phillip Island SBK support races

I recently purchased one of those AV/USB converters that come with the software for digitizing your VHS tapes. (Yes I know they have been around for ages, but I just got mine – deal with it!). So, I pull out the box of old VHS tapes, you beauty, all those old racing tapes from 20 years ago! After going through a few, I came across this gem. All the racing from Phillip Island Sunday Oct 18th, something for everybody here! I will try to upload all the races, however the first one took 20hrs, WTF YouTube!

In the early ‘90s the Australian racing scene was quite strong; one very memorable meeting was the 1992 Australian round of the World Superbikes at Phillip Island. The support card was full of all the championship classes (125GP, 250Proddies, 250GP, Sidecar, 600cc Supersport) as well as a six hour endurance race that was held into the night in appalling conditions.

I still have the Official Program and AMCN that reported on the meeting. So here is some information you may find interesting: In the 250 Proddies, 54 entered, 51 turned up, 42 Qualified, the field consisted of 6 Honda’s, 5 Kawasaki’s and rest being Suzuki RGV 250’s.

Some of the names may know; Marcus Payten (RIP), Garry McCoy, John Chiodo, Anthony Gobert, Paul Free, Warwick Nowland, Fred Bayens and Damon Buckmaster.

In race 1 (on Sat 17th), 1st McCoy, 2nd Gobert, 3rd Ken Watson, 4th Bayens, 5th Buckmaster.

So here is race 2, enjoy

http://youtu.be/kLe8etKU2HE

Commentary by the late Hughie Hoare and Will Hagon. (The audio was taken from Hughie and Will in the tower with no monitors just what limited vision they had, that is why the race call seems a bit ordinary - Hughie was really pissed off they didn't let them re-do the audio).
Watch how Bucky's bike chatters under brakes, top effort to keep it upright. Later that year Gobert got a ride on the Honda Racing Australia Superbike in the 'Stars of Tomorrow'. 1993 got a full time ride while still a 'C grader', you will know the rest of the story. Bucky went on to race 600's, Superbike then did a stint in the AMA. Fred raced 600's in Holland, don't know about Robbie.
(yet)

dirt_bloke screwed with this post 07-27-2013 at 09:52 PM
dirt_bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
dirt_bloke OP
No idea

Just a quick note; those of you who read Soup, may remember an article Dean trots out every now and then, 'submitted' by Dale Schmitken about Mat Mladin racing in the 250 Production class. Apart from being a nice piece of fiction, the bike Mat rode for Dale (once or twice) was a 250GP bike. Mat Rode an RGV250 in the ARRC in 1991, then went on to ride for TKA in 1992. (You'll see in a future installment of this series). And no, Mat didn't go looking for used tyres in the rubbish bins (I know some others who did!).

Pete
(yet)

dirt_bloke screwed with this post 07-27-2013 at 09:55 PM
Old 07-28-2013, 03:02 AM   #3
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,625
Hey Pete! You got any footage of, errr, '96 I think, when that 'Bloke' in the Supermono class broke down, accepted a beer from a spectator, then watched the race trackside, drinking said beer? Eh? Eh?
Good on ya!
Old 07-29-2013, 11:54 PM   #4
dirt_bloke OP
No idea

Thanks for bring that up Boot! The video was used as evidence! I think it was in 1994 or 95, in 96 I did a winter down the snow. Looking back that weekend was my worst weekend at a track anywhere.

Pissed down rain Fri morning Practise (all 10mins of it) then crashed on the last lap. Mad time repairing the bike, got out in Friday QP1 and the forks wouldn’t work from the crash damage I missed something. So with only 15 minutes to get a time, the bike handling like a Mack truck I tried to ride around the problem, missed 110% by less than 1sec. Found a tweek in the left fork leg, also the ride height adjuster rose joint on rear shock was broken. Managed to get hold of another, got the bike ready for QP2 on Saturday Morning.

Get to the track ready to rock, take off, the bike feels good, then it stops at the end of the main straight. (Found out later that the POS KTM ignition shit itself). Pissed off like you wouldn’t believe. So that’s why I’m sitting on the side of the track having a beer, I didn’t even get to race, and that is the last time I had a bike on the Phillip Island track.

Anyway, back when I did have a bike that would go, here’s the 125GP support race 1 from the 1992 Phillip Island World Superbikes. There was 2 x 125cc races as the Sidecars had their races on Saturday (as everybody knows, sidecars apparently spray oil over the track soon as they get near any racing circuit!).

21 Bikes Qualified from the 29 entered, some of the names people may know: Glen Richards (who races BSB), Garry McCoy (riding an ex Hans Spaan Aprilia), Mark Willis (Superbike rider for Anset AirFreight Suzuki, National Super Motard Champ, Raced 500ccGP for Kenny Roberts,)

http://youtu.be/y0DnQdP9Evo

(yet)
Old 07-30-2013, 04:40 AM   #5
nry

Oddometer: 1,240
ha ! I used to race against Trevor Manly in the 400's and he still wore those leathers
Faster times on the 400's too which surprised me. Thanks for posting.
nry is offline   Reply With Quote