Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,597
Doing the points on your OEM fuel pump? Have some free advice.

Here's the biggest lesson I learned while repairing my poorly running 950's stock fuel pump.

Make sure the little tab attached to a spring fits into the groove on the shaft of the fuel pump before you button everything back up. Its an easy detail to miss, and not one I knew about til my friend Jeff mentioned it to me. I had replaced the points and my bike still would not start and I was having big issues chasing the problem. Once I took the pump back apart, and saw that tab wasn't in the groove, and fixed it, the bike fired right up.

Also, you should be able to just plug the fuel pump back into the wiring harness (without even hooking it up to the fuel lines), turn your key on, and the pump will (should) make the familiar clicking noise we all love.

Cheers.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
mjlang
Man Caves Rule!

Oddometer: 165
If you do a search, there is a guy from Holland selling a solid state electronic update to the pump. It makes that pump bullet proof for 50 euro. Forget the points.

'06 KTM 950 Adventure S
'07 KTM 450 EXC
mjlang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 712
main advantage for most is that (at least for me) the local shop has the points in stock and they are $28. It's the same points kit that goes into a lot of the modern bikes fuel pumps.

I'll eventually switch over to an alternative fuel delivery system (more than likely the Mikuni vacuum pump as it's one of the only ones I've read about very few failures), and at that time my stock pump will become my backup.

here was a good writeup I found on the points replacement from the CBR forum:

http://cbrforum.com/forum/stickies-9...l-pump-102151/

in this writeup, he mentions the points fitting in the groove on the shaft which I didn't find on many other threads on ADV, so when mine wasn't working, I went back and found the CBR writeup and read thru it, looked online for other photos showing the exact placement of the points in the groove and mine fired right up. when mark described about the same sound (just one "pump" but not the usual "studder" when you flip the switch) I suggested he check that slot. bingo!

so if you want to replace your points with new points, this is the tip to make sure it works correctly.

if you want to replace it with a solid state system, the Dr. Beans kit is the way to go but at least for us US folks, my guess is it's at least a few days away or more (and a bit more money but not much).

good riding with you this weekend flux!
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlang View Post
If you do a search, there is a guy from Holland selling a solid state electronic update to the pump. It makes that pump bullet proof for 50 euro. Forget the points.

Link?
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
twwhitey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ300 View Post
Link?
You can contact him (Dr. Bean) here on Advrider

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823347
Old 07-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Dr Beans was out on holiday or something til end of August so that wasn't happening for me.

I've got an entire Facet pump assembly sitting on a shelf for when this one goes out again.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:05 AM   #7
ABuck99

Oddometer: 465
Flux: Excellent update to the FP points replacement process.

The only reason I see to install the Dr bean kit is to eliminate the issue of the points contacts from wearing out. The Bean kit doesnt change anything else with the pump delivery, and there are other durability concerns that come to mind with a circuit board, that at times will be under water, exposed to prolonged heat and vibration. So while the Dr Bean Kit is a nice solution, its not always available, and its pricey for us on this side of the pond. Personally, 20,000 miles out of my first set of points was an acceptable result. And for under $30 you can re-new the points with a fresh kit. But for a just a dollar or two more its possible to make your own solid state pump mod by adding a simple radio shack diode which would in theory extend the life of the points. ( in simple terms by cleaning up the current).

I read about a mod to effectively create a solid state circuit by simply adding a diode to the FP points. I found this "how to" on a Honda Deauville forum, that explains in detail how to add the diode to the Mitsubishi FP points to extend their life span. This mod in theory would match the result that the Dr Bean kit delivers, longer FP life. **I have not personally done this mod.

http://hankeln.net/freizeit/nt650v5/...-diode_en.html
Old 07-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,709
Installing a diode on the Mitsubishi fp

[QUOTE=ABuck99;21986042 But for a just a dollar or two more its possible to make your own solid state pump mod by adding a simple radio shack diode which would in theory extend the life of the points. ( in simple terms by cleaning up the current).[/QUOTE]

There is already a diode on the OEM fp.
Dr Bean's solution is far superior to all other solutions. It elliminates the points, but keeps the basic characteristics of the OEM operation. Infrared sensor sees if the core shaft has moved too low and then powers up the coil and runs again.
Cheers.
Clutch master cylinder resleeving
Out of office 25 till 4th August
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:03 PM   #9
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor View Post
Here's the biggest lesson I learned while repairing my poorly running 950's stock fuel pump.

Make sure the little tab attached to a spring fits into the groove on the shaft of the fuel pump before you button everything back up. Its an easy detail to miss, and not one I knew about til my friend Jeff mentioned it to me. I had replaced the points and my bike still would not start and I was having big issues chasing the problem. Once I took the pump back apart, and saw that tab wasn't in the groove, and fixed it, the bike fired right up.

Also, you should be able to just plug the fuel pump back into the wiring harness (without even hooking it up to the fuel lines), turn your key on, and the pump will (should) make the familiar clicking noise we all love.

Cheers.
Its good idea to take a digital picture before and after for items like this and carb vents lines & hoses etc to refer to for comparison.

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:54 AM   #10
RedRupert
Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABuck99 View Post
Flux: Excellent update to the FP points replacement process.

The only reason I see to install the Dr bean kit is to eliminate the issue of the points contacts from wearing out. The Bean kit doesnt change anything else with the pump delivery, and there are other durability concerns that come to mind with a circuit board, that at times will be under water, exposed to prolonged heat and vibration. So while the Dr Bean Kit is a nice solution, its not always available, and its pricey for us on this side of the pond. Personally, 20,000 miles out of my first set of points was an acceptable result. And for under $30 you can re-new the points with a fresh kit. But for a just a dollar or two more its possible to make your own solid state pump mod by adding a simple radio shack diode which would in theory extend the life of the points. ( in simple terms by cleaning up the current).

I read about a mod to effectively create a solid state circuit by simply adding a diode to the FP points. I found this "how to" on a Honda Deauville forum, that explains in detail how to add the diode to the Mitsubishi FP points to extend their life span. This mod in theory would match the result that the Dr Bean kit delivers, longer FP life. **I have not personally done this mod.

http://hankeln.net/freizeit/nt650v5/...-diode_en.html
The OE Mitsubishi pump is know to be very reliable, except for the points.

If you add a diode, and run the pump before replacing its cap, you'll still see arcing at the points. Less arcing, but still arcing. You can expect longer service life, but it will not be fit and forget. In my view, Dr Bean's solution is the way to go. It's well made.

I replaced my Facet with a Dr Bean-ised OE pump, as the external wiring on the Facet is of poor quality and not suitable for the semi-exposed and hot area in which it is installed.

The fact that vacuum pumps need battery sapping engine cranking in order to prime puts me off, as the OE battery is already on the small side.
Yamaha RD 350 LC (1984)
RedRupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:21 AM   #11
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
Its good idea to take a digital picture before and after for items like this and carb vents lines & hoses etc to refer to for comparison.
Yup you are right, that IS a good idea. Not sure I would have noticed this little groove though. And I never saw it mentioned in any of the HUNDREDS of posts about fuel pumps going bad that I read through. Kinda makes me wonder how many GOOD fuel pumps there have been that were deemed garbage because this detail was missed.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:48 AM   #12
Skinner
Mr.KTM

Oddometer: 5,563
Have there been any improvements to the fuelpump, do i need to be concerned about my 2013 990?

You recognize your friends by the sound of their mufflers.
http://www.meetup.com/Chicagoland-Du...torcycle-Club/
www.jimstarwaltteam.com
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #13
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinner View Post
Have there been any improvements to the fuelpump, do i need to be concerned about my 2013 990?

This thread pertains to the fuel pump on the early carbureted models. Pump on the injected bikes is a different animal.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,441
Thought I'd add a quick update to this thread. My 950 SE fuel pump died last night (first fuel pump failure in 4 different LC8's and 60,000 miles). I needed to get it fixed fast (today) so I can make a track day tomorrow so I went searching for points. Turns out the same pump is use on Kawi ZX-6, ZX-7 an ZX-9 models, Kawi Vulcans and Honda CBR 600 F3's all from about the 2002 era. Also, K&L supply makes a replacement part for the points. It is part number 18-4615 an I picked up a set from Parts Unlimited today for $23. Not too bad and I got the bike going for my track day!

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #15
GrenDesb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Dr. Bean kit, all the way.

Arrived to Canada in 5 days from Holland.

Great instruction sheet, easy enough to install and works perfect for as long as you'll own the bike.
GrenDesb is offline   Reply With Quote