User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2014, 03:53 AM   #1
AusGoFar OP
get back on that horse

Oddometer: 844
2014 May - Melb-Delegate run with Richo and JDeks

Here's a ride report for an adventure ride that had it all the usual ingredients of a mega adventure ride - all except the usual ingredient of shitty weather. That, thankfully stayed well beyond the horizon.

My ride started with a quick run from home to Woods Point pub where i was meeting up with Richo360 on the thursday night. I went from the east of Melb via Healsville, Marysville, Lady Talbot, Sunds tk, Frenchmans, (dark by this stage) then on to WP.

Some shots from this leg

The full moon was visible coming up through the bush.

Met up with Richo at the WP pub - a few beers help wash down the parma.

Next morning up at em straight into Johnson Hill track, on to Mt Selma Rd, Queen Bee, S1 track on to 1-10 then onto Licola via the Valley farm track. Magnificent cool dry morning. The 690's were on song. After fuelling up at Licola - on to the top of Billy Goats by midday

Richo on the phone trying to keep track of JDeks who was planning on meeting us in Dargo or Omeo.

work in progress .. more to come later

AusGoFar screwed with this post 05-19-2014 at 09:15 PM
AusGoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,138
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
richo360
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
So seeing as AusGoFar has kicked this off and I have a few minutes spare, here's my first instalment....
The plan was to travel to see clients at Bendoc. Hmm, can go by car, nope, boring. Or I can ride, as ive done a few times in the past.

After clearing it with my bosses (the office girls at work) and telling the wife of their decision (ha) the plan was to head off Thursday lunchtime, stay at Woods Point that night where I'd meet AGF. Then Friday pick up JDeks at Licola, then head through to Omeo via Howitt Rd/Moroka Rd, Billy Goat, Jones/Birregun Rd. Across Limestone Road to the Barrie Way, then via McKillops Bridge to head to Delegate for Friday night. See clients on their farming peoperty just out of Bendoc first thing Saturday, then all head back to Dargo for the Saturday night, and home Sunday. Easy.

So Thursday I left home, and headed across via KooWeeRup, stopped for a leak and a quick gear and bike check at Bayles.

I should mention I only purchased this 2009 690R from AusGoFar about a month ago. 25000kms approx, with a few odds and ends like heated grips, bar risers etc. However, he also swapped out his suspenders for 2011/12 models off his 'new' 690R which (apart from being only 4000kms old) are 30mm lower, suiting me much better. He also swapped the newer plastics onto it. Ive only done a short loop or 2 near home to date, so this was its first big hit out.
Last week I had Rick at Pablos fit up new UHD tubes and a 908RR front and 140/80 Mitas E09 Dakar rear. I also did an oil change with fresh Motul 7100 and filters, a general going/check/tightening over of wheelbearings/pads/nuts and bolts etc

Ive fitted a set of Craig Hartleys rear panniers and a B&B rear rack (again of his input) which sit further forward than most others out there for better weight distribution and strength.

I topped up at Caltex Longwarry, then headed via Labertouche and Forest Road to near gentle Annie, then east to Neerim Junction. Thought I may as well stop for a quick one at the Toolshed as I was making great time :).
Then after stuffing around and backtracking in the Loch valley plantation due to road/drainage works and downed trees, I ended up across at Link/9 Mile road and the triangle. Heading past the Gap and good for time, I checked if it was open, sure enough Brian and Heeather were up there setting up for a group heading in Friday. Brilliant.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #4
Jaybee750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
So Dicko, what Happened, seeing I was unable to join you??????

Did the TBP crew get to Dargo Sat Night and meet up?
Jaybee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #5
richo360
Studly Adventurer

Chatting with Brian, some dickheads pulled over the Gap Getaway overhead sign at their front gate a few weeks ago. WTF is it with some oxygen thieves? Apparently the same night they destroyed/damaged every road sign between Cambarville and Woods Point.

So met up with AGF at the Commercial at Woods Point a few hours later, had dinner and a quick few before turning in, knowing we had around 600k's to do the following day.

Johnson Hill track was a good warm up the next moring, then on to Mt Selma road, S1 as stated already. Tracks were in great condition, last time i did the Matlock-Erica road it was rocky and rough as hell. Licola was the next quick stop for fuel and a sausage roll with Maaaaary.

Up Howitt Road to Moroka, then across to BGB.

I headed off, with a comment to Dave "remember, its not a race to the bottom" LOL. Sure.
Damn, its probably the worst Ive seen it in a long time. some rock steps over 300mm high, lots of loose material everywhere. That said, was a fairly non eventful trip down to the helipad, passing three 4wds heading up along the way. Would I tackle it on a big (twin/triple) bike? Sure, I guess. Down is easy.

About here there were texts going backwards and forwards between JDeks and myself, I thought as we and he were a touch behind time he said he'd meet us at Omeo bakery.

Once at the bottom, across Kingswell Bridge, turned left then up Conway Spur (great steep but smooth climb with really good jumps), right onto Hibernia past the end of Mt Hurley Track and onto the High Plains Road. Turned left instead of right, but after practicing wheelies up the bitumen for a while I realised we were heading in the wrong direction and backtracked to Upper Dargo Road, then Jones and Birrigun.

Got to Omeo without issues, fuelled up then sat down at the bakery to enjoy a pie and coffee. A text from Jdeks.... 'are your guys OK?" huh? Turns out he though we'd had issues on BGB whilst he was still waiting for us at Dargo pub..... D'oh!. He got on the gas and said he'd catch us on our way as he knew how to get to Delegate. Sorry again for confusion mate.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
richo360
Studly Adventurer

A reasonably uneventful run to Benambra then straight on to Limestone Road (a quick piss and check of maps etc).

Getting darker as we dropped into the hills once in the Snowy NP on McKillops road, and.... no lights on my 690 doe to a busted globe. Warranty Dave!!!
Once we got to the western side of the bridge we stopped so I could rig some light....
Here's a pic I took later....

Necessity (and thirst) being the mother of invention, I did the best with what I had available....... my free single LED torch courtesy of Adventure Rider magazine subscription. AGF was impressed with my MacGuyver like abilities, and compared its output to his HID set up (well sort of).
Funny thing was as I was standing on McKillops bridge taping it onto my helmet I dropped the race tape stright down between a crack in the bridge timber... bugger. looking down, there it was, jammed in the crack without falling through. Win!. next thing I'll drop some toast and it will land butter side up.

This lighting set up and us riding side by side saw us over the next 60 odd kms into Delegate. The only exciting bit was when I was standing on the pegs at about 100 klicks just near the Delegate River Inn and a big bastard roo flashed across in front of us going full tilt.... Hmmm, maybe I shouldnt be standing on the pegs.

JDeks rolled into the pub about 10 minutes after we did.

A great T-Bone and a few beers were had (by me). AGF decided to pike it and wanted a glass of lemon squash, so I got him one.

I headed to Bendoc first thing in the AM.

Saw my clients, and spent about 20 minutes after our business discussion going over my bike and the set up with him. He keeps talking about getting a bike and doing some touring, maybe I'll convince him one day.

Back to Delegate where we all fuelled up again with the happiest service station owner on the planet...

Checked out his restored Chevy Blitz tow truck, theyve just dropped a lot of $$ on rebuilding the engine apparently.

Time to leave Delegate and all its charms, so headed back via Bendoc to Old Bendoc Road, where I thought Id show the guys the tunnel.

richo360 screwed with this post 05-19-2014 at 07:07 PM
richo360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
richo360
Studly Adventurer

Back via Bonang, we soon turned off to head onto some (un named) tracks for a lookee.

In a word, a spectacular section which we all enjoyed..... AGF declared it to be 'The BEST track he had ever ridden of all time" or something. Right now, it shall remain nameless.

Some spectacular hilltops..

Before we were back to the bridge again.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #8
MacMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Digging it!
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:22 PM   #9
richo360
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee750 View Post
So Dicko, what Happened, seeing I was unable to join you??????

Did the TBP crew get to Dargo Sat Night and meet up?
Nah mate, Pete Reheat and Nick stayed home with Phil Piker. Wives said cant ride. Beefa did ring me about 11pm Friday night and again about 4am Saturday morning, all excited about seeing some lads off from Wodonga. A bit hard to understand though, he was talking shorthand. He never showed at Dargo Saturday night, must have been too tired and emotional after the previous evenings festivities.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #10
AusGoFar OP
get back on that horse

Okay - back to it

The 2 690s ready for the decent.... Yep no racing. I caught a nasty big loose rock early on and took a wee tumble. But no damage so on down to the helipad.

As mentioned by Richo above, loads of k's on loads of tracks..... and into the night with one decent head light between us, which meant for some interesting synchronized cornering for a number of hours.

McKillops bridge by night

While Richo was out earning money - i tooks some shots of the little town that is Delegate and went back to fuel up

Big Ass rock

Richo joined us - fuelled up and haggled with the old guy trying to fleece him of his money like us city folk do,

Every thing in the town was pretty run down - if you didnt have a car wreck in your front yard of some mechanical junk - you were no one

Yeah yeah ... then on to some riding, back into Victoria and to an awesome track - which as Richo states - is right up there for me as an all time ripper

JDeks having fun

On top of the hill with the blue purposely removed from a fine shot of orange

The track snaked around and on to a ridge over looking the valley and McKillops bridge

The knoll where that shot was taken from

Then down and back over the bridge - JDeks bringing up the rear.

Took this freaky shot with the shadow like a horse and chariot

Then onto Omeo

JDeks and i took a diversion. He stayed at the top of this ridge - i rode the valley and waited at the top of the next . awesome light.

Then over night in Dargo. Some horsing round with Forma boots, some nonsense about snoring then on the bikes to tackle some tracks up to the Pinnacles

The challenging rock face on the way up

But worth our troubles with a great view of the country from the Pinnicles fire tower.

Back to the bikes

and a long slowish (i had lost my front brake just before the Pinnacles) trip back via Licola and the highway. Home by 5pm Sunday

AusGoFar screwed with this post 05-19-2014 at 10:06 PM
Old 05-19-2014, 10:22 PM   #11
richo360
Studly Adventurer

Was a good run for sure, with no major issues.
Except for a blown fork seal.
And a broken headlight.
and a broken brake line.
And a twisted foot. D'oh! A deer!
Oh, and someone nearly waking up with earplugs jammed in their nose.....

Will need to visit clients monthly I reckon.......
Thanks AusGoFar and Jdeks for the adventure.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:41 PM   #12
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 937
When I write, I get carried away.

So I'll just add a few photos.....

for now.

Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:45 AM   #13
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,288
How did you guys convince Jdeks to carry your gear? That is your gear in his back pack isn't it?
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:30 AM   #14
AusGoFar OP
get back on that horse

Prior to leaving for this trip i should have checked the gopro for space on the card. Unfortunately the card was 95% full at the start and as a consequence none of the BGB decent was recorded. What a bastard. Heres a quick grab of what i did get at the approach to the decent.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:04 AM   #15
richo360
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
How did you guys convince Jdeks to carry your gear? That is your gear in his back pack isn't it?
We told him it was good for his shoulder rehab and character building.
With perseverance he will eventually graduate back to a KTM.

It was amazing what he had that backpack.... Being a weight freak it was all minimalist and tightly packed.

Funny stuff, even his toothbrush was sawed in half to save a few grams..... He even told us he used to drill holes in the handle to save further weight.
That's commitment!

Nice pics above JDeks, very arty!