User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2014, 06:54 AM   #1
macinnisl OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
TLH + Innu Trail Ride Sept 7-11th

First attempt at a ride report. I'm going to keep this one shorter, there's lots of TLH reports on here already. If you've read them already and want some cool new info jump to day 4, that's the day of the Innu trail and you don't want to miss it! That being said I'm briefly going to go over the other days too.

Day 1 - Sydney, NS - Hawkes Bay, NFLD

-This day was all about making up time to enjoy Labrador honestly. We got on the noon ferry from North Sydney and napped over to Port aux Basques. Hit the road and wind was blowing my KLR and my buddies DRZ pretty hard. Quick pitstop in Deer Lake to eat and riding through the Gros Morne national park at night. Which isn't ideal being moose country but we got to make up some time and we've both been there before so not the end of the world we aren't catching all the views. A full moon was quite helpful as well as some pretty good weather. All said we got to bed at around 230am. That DRZ needs to make way too many gas stops but we all make it in 1 piece.

Day 2 - Hawkes Bay - Goose Bay, Lab

-Left what we thought was early from Hawkes Bay to get to the ferry terminal to find the ship left earlier then we we're told. Also got the news we we're supposed to be there 1h early not 30 mins like we we're told. Anyways after a stunned look on our face they still let us board, ship was delayed for mechanical issues anyways. Luck in on our side! Sail from St. Barbs, NFLD to Blanc Sablon, QC.

Blanc Sablon in quite amazing and the sun is out and it's just a amazing day (despite a later start due to the ferry).

(Sorry it will be multiple posts I can't figure out how to be hip and link images into my text)
Attached Images

macinnisl screwed with this post 09-21-2014 at 11:50 AM
macinnisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:04 AM   #2
macinnisl OP
Adventurer

So we rode on from Blanc to Red Bay to get some gas. While there saw a KTM and 2 other bikes just coming off the dirt portion. Got a big wave and was now excited to see other bikes getting through. Stopped into red bay which was amazing, first km of the dirt outside Red Bay by bike hit it's 10,000km milestone.
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #3
macinnisl OP
Adventurer

Hard days ride to be honest here guys. The road was amazing! Lots of construction in this area. I had pictures but my computer skills are lacking and I don't want to make too many separate postings. But we rode till about 130am to get into Goose Bay, Lab. It was fairly cold later at night. Gas was an issue I actually ran out on my KLR despite having taken an extra gallon in a gas can. We rode fast and had some fun, I'm hoping that's why I ran out and not because I put a California tank on my bike? Nice little taste of scenery and dirt along the way. Oh yeh watch out for a section between Port Hope Simpson and Goose Bay, I guess they rushed the road and it's pretty soft in places and it can feel at times like riding on marbles. I could of sworn in sections that I had lost my front tire but it was just the riding through the marbles.

Day 3 - Goose Bay, Lab - River Peppler

Got up early and rode into River Peppler (which is just after the S-turns in Lab City). The ride through to Lab City is mostly paved but still a very scenic drive. My favourite part was still the little section that is still dirt (which will all be paved soon).
Attached Images

macinnisl screwed with this post 09-21-2014 at 05:05 PM
Old 09-21-2014, 07:48 AM   #4
macinnisl OP
Adventurer

Made a quick meal stop in Lab City then experienced the fun of those S-turns in Quebec. It was a pile of fun hitting that road pretty fast after that long days ride! I almost lost it on 1 turn while making fun of my buddy on the Sena for not being able to do 2 things at once. I was humbled... The knobbies I had on the bike tracked very well and I really was almost yelling most of the way. By this time we had seen a few KLR's on the road too which was pretty sweet.

This is the turn I took a little too fast.
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2014, 07:53 AM   #5
macinnisl OP
Adventurer

We rode past the S-turns and looked for a place to camp. By one of the rivers there was a little drive off point and thought great. My buddy wanted to camp by the shoulder of the road but I didn't have ear plugs so I went in further. Found this neat little camp with the door unlocked and a sign saying feel free to stay, just keep it clean! What luck we we're having!! Just amazing! I have the GPS coordinates for the camp saved as a waypoint on Google earth and Garmin GPS. I'm going to try to upload those files later but not sure if I can. Worst case if someone wants them PM me and I'll send them to you.

Few pics of the amazing camp
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2014, 07:54 AM   #6
macinnisl OP
Adventurer

Camp Fire and Writing in my Adventure Journal
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2014, 08:04 AM   #7
macinnisl OP
Adventurer

Day 4 - River Peppler - Cambelton, NB (Inu Trail)

So we had a lazy morning... The camp was so amazing and the days so long till that point that we just lazed around and had a slow breakfast. It was awesome! Wrote a letter to the camps owner thanking him. I hope to go back someday! If someone is interested I have more pics of that camp.

We rode to Relais Gabriel through the old ghost towns and all that like everyone else does. It's all paved guys... still a nice drive though.

Here's where it gets interesting!

A few Km's past Relais Gabriel there's an old Innu Trail / Short Cut to Port Cartier. You basically turn right on a unmarked road and find a sign that says unmanned road, take at your own risk, stay to the right. A few km's in you'll see a blue sign with the number 69 on it that's when you know you're at the right place. Those signs are here and there on the road to make you feel comfortable you haven't turned off the wrong place. There's lots of side roads that go to lakes and whatnot you just have to stay on the "main road" and you'll see the odd sign with km markers. There's one point too that says lakes this way, port cartier that way. One other sign too that says sept-isle so I think you can get down there too... But that's not the way we went, be adventurous and try it though if you like :)

The road is nothing short of breath taking! I ground out the KLR in lots of spots, washouts, soft gravel, hard packed, narrowing roads, we saw 1 truck who was so surprised he almost went off the road locking up the brakes, amazing views on the mountain and then into the valley... It was the highlight of the trip. Some really cool little bridges too. I asked someone at the Relais Gabriel about the road and they basically said it's not monitored and no idea what shape it was in. The road is the perfect road for the adventure bikes. We did it at a good pace but when I go again I'm going to likely take extra time and ride to some of the lakes and even camp out at this amazing spot we found (also on my google earth, garmin GPS and you'll see below the pictures with the wooden foot bridge, that's the camp site).
Attached Images

macinnisl screwed with this post 09-21-2014 at 05:06 PM
Old 09-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #8
macinnisl OP
Adventurer

Still the bridge
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #9
macinnisl OP
Adventurer

One of bridges you'll cross. Warning, many times it calls for the road conditions to be bumpy ahead there's usually a bridge nearby. It can get a little hairy but I'm a novice dirt rider and I had no issues.
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2014, 08:13 AM   #10
macinnisl OP
Adventurer

What the road looks like in one of the softer areas (closer to Relais Gabriel) it tends to be rougher on that Relais Gab side which is more like up the mountain. Down in the valley on the Port Cartier side the roads we're much smoother.
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2014, 08:14 AM   #11
macinnisl OP
Adventurer

Missed the pictures of some of the amazing views but this one was ok.
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2014, 08:14 AM   #12
macinnisl OP
Adventurer

Tough to see at this size but that black thing on the left of the road is a moose who decided to pay us a little visit.
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2014, 08:15 AM   #13
macinnisl OP
Adventurer

Nice view when you come into the valley a bit. It's just amazing water views all along that drive!
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #14
macinnisl OP
Adventurer

So just to finish off the report, the Go Pro died along the way but it was so amazing there was some high 5's after that treck. Road got a little marble again near Port Cartier.

Gas, Drive to Baie-Comeau to get the ferry (missed the closer one cause we left so late). Took the evening ferry over to Matane, then road through the night to Cambelton. Time for a good nights sleep.

Day 5 - Cambelton, NB - Sydney, NS

Well this was the get home part of the ride. Caught up some time by riding to Cambelton the day before. Stopped in Moncton for some food and to check out adventure motorsports. Took the scenic drive through tatamagouche and just booked it to Sydney from there. Got the real first rain when we got back on the island. No big deal though it wasn't too bad. Still rode late into the evening but in plenty of time to get a good nights rest.

The next day Aerosmith and Slash we're playing a concert in Sydney so I was glad to make it back in time to catch that! I'll add a few more shots from the trip and hopefully the GPS of that trail. I'm not sure if I can link it on here though... Maybe someone can let me know that. If I can't I'll gladly send it in whatever format I can to whoever wants it. I can't compare it to the other section with Manic 5 or whatever but I think I made the right call trying this road. It was the highlight of the trip for us!

Over 3650km in 4.5 days. Can't wait for the next one!

Keep on exploring!
Attached Images

macinnisl screwed with this post 09-21-2014 at 12:14 PM
Old 09-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #15
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
It's Innu, not Inu

Great pics and report. You might want to take a second look at your title though. It's INNU http://www.innu.ca/- unless you were referring to the Japanese dog. Otherwise you may as well be talking about Candians or Amercans.

Nick

nick949eldo screwed with this post 09-21-2014 at 10:30 AM
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote