ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #151
tjzondrz
I'm older now.

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPPEEE View Post
Quote:

Due to the lapse in federal government funding, this website is not available.
We sincerely regret this inconvenience.

After funding has been restored, please allow some time for this website to
become available again.

Sorry folks, parks closed.

Well,We shall ride anyway.Out of the way Lard Ass.We're comin thru.
tjzondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #152
ADVwanaB
BOLD NEW AVATAR

Oddometer: 791
Park is OPEN

I just spoke to Joyce from the park office and she informed me they are open and will be open this weekend for sure.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #153
tjzondrz
I'm older now.

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVwanaB View Post
I just spoke to Joyce from the park office and she informed me they are open and will be open this weekend for sure.
You Da Man,Thank you.
That is MARVELOUS news.I would go into a state of depression if it was a no go.
tjzondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #154
Kimmiemoto
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmiemoto View Post
Has anyone heard if this possible government shut down is going to affect the shen 500 ride?
Quote:
This is awesome news! Although wasnt too worried, I mean, we're adventure riders, we love a good obstacle here and there!:
wink:
Old 10-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #155
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Natural Chimney's (State Park) or some other park (Federal)? It's the USFS (USDA) closure that is most concerning.

By the way, should be chilly in the morning (55F) as usual, so a light jacket may be a wise addition to your kit. May only need it for the first hour or so.

- Ken

wilkinsonk screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 10:59 AM
wilkinsonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #156
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
Natural Chimney's (State Park) or some other park (Federal)? It's the USFS (USDA) closure that is most concerning.

By the way, should be chilly in the morning (55F) as usual, so a light jacket may be a wise addition to your kit. May only need it for the first hour or so.

- Ken
Natural Chimneys, to the best of my knowledge and belief, is now a county park (formerly, a regional park involving three contiguous counties), unaffected by the federal government shutdown, I assume.

The greater portion of the unpaved roads and trails of the Shenandoah 500 route, however, is under USDA Forest Service (federal) jurisdiction. Whether access to George Washington National Forest will be available for the Shenandoah 500 during the shutdown obviously affects the event.

As mentioned, I'd expect an announcement from the sponsor regarding any significant changes.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #157
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,095
Richmond Area S500 Riders

If you are going to the S500 this weekend and are loaded down heavy, I have a lot of room in my RV and truck for gear, food, beer (with a cold refrigerator/freezer). Just get it to me before Friday. (I work in Richmond but live 20 minutes south or Richmond in Chester)
UnfortunateIy, I don't have any extra room for bikes as the tailgate needs to be up to haul the RV and only one bike will fit diagonally.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #158
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,811
The club might not be able to find out the GWNF status if the federal employees have been sent home. Where my wife works there is nobody to answer the phones and they are not supposed to check or respond to their government email while furloughed.

I assume they will keep rangers working as essential personnel. But whether the gates are open who knows. I guess we find out Friday when they try to flag the course.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #159
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 982
Quote:

- Ken
Is there much riding at higher altitudes? I assume it will be a lot colder, but if it's just an up-and-back kinda thing, I won't bother with extra gear.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #160
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
Is there much riding at higher altitudes? I assume it will be a lot colder, but if it's just an up-and-back kinda thing, I won't bother with extra gear.
I don't remember the highest point of the ride, but I do remember that I never felt chilly after the first hour or two of riding in the morning. If you can make it through the morning, you'll be fine. Forecast was for 73-80 during the day at Natural Chimney's.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #161
Dual Sport Armory
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
I don't remember the highest point of the ride, but I do remember that I never felt chilly after the first hour or two of riding in the morning. If you can make it through the morning, you'll be fine. Forecast was for 73-80 during the day at Natural Chimney's.
Sunday looks to be the most questionable day, chance of rain

we were down there a couple weeks ago, it was dry, needs rain bad

once you get thru the morning its going to be t-shirt weather Sat.
Dual Sport Armory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #162
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Sunday rain forecast I saw was 10% morning but increasing for late afternoon. Motivation to power through? I'm debating on bringing/wearing the goretex gear.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #163
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
You might get up to 3000' or so at Reddish Knob. There are some stretches along the ridge tops but it is mostly up and down. When it is cold and raining or snowing then you really notice the altitude. But during warm weather it just feels good.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #164
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 982
Thanks for the weather-related replies. I should be good gear-wise.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #165
Dual Sport Armory
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Shenandoa 500 is on

The Shenandoah 500 is on. The leaves are turning, the weather looks favorable. The veteran members of our club know the terrain and are already setting up a modified course in case the government shutdown continues and we don't have access to the National Forest.

Our goal is to make sure you have a fun weekend of riding.

Many of you know that the Washington Area Trail Riders is a non-profit. Part of our mission is to "support the communities we ride in" and that is exactly what we are going to do. The ladies clubs, fire/ems stations and food banks in the Shenandoah count on our club for money to fund their efforts. The Shenandoah 500 is the single biggest contributor to these groups - there is no way we are going to let them down.

Thanks to everyone who signed up to ride this year. It's going to be a good one.

Bill
Dual Sport Armory is offline   Reply With Quote