ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #166
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,834
This just in:
Quote:
The Shenandoah 500 is on. The leaves are turning, the weather looks favorable. The veteran members of our club know the terrain and are already setting up a modified course in case the government shutdown continues and we don't have access to the National Forest.

Our goal is to make sure you have a fun weekend of riding.

Many of you know that the Washington Area Trail Riders is a non-profit. Part of our mission is to "support the communities we ride in" and that is exactly what we are going to do. The ladies clubs, fire/ems stations and food banks in the Shenandoah count on our club for money to fund their efforts. The Shenandoah 500 is the single biggest contributor to these groups - there is no way we are going to let them down.

Thanks to everyone who signed up to ride this year. It's going to be a good one.

Bill Brennan
President - Washington Area Trail Riders
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #167
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
Thanks for the weather-related replies. I should be good gear-wise.
The last two years I wore thermals to sleep in the tent, kept them on until we hit the first gravel and started sweating my ass off while snow was sticking on the ground at Reddish knob. The S500 is nothing like my usual daily commute. Weather says temps in the Mid 80s for this year, if you believe that, so I highly doubt you'll get cold this year. Unless National forests are closed due to shutdown and we just ride up and down I-81 for 500 kilometers. Then it might be a different story. I'll be wearing my Tecnik airmesh that funnels wind into your armpits. It's fantastic in hot weather. It's beyond miserable if it rains. I wore it today riding to reddish knob, flagpole knob, and meadow knob (all currently open national forest peaks [though the road from Braley Pond to Reddish Know is closed for construction/maintenece for the next few weeks) and didn't get cold at all.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #168
FISHCAT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
camping site

I have extra room on my site
Chris
FISHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #169
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,033
bike for sale will be at the 500 this weekend

I have a 2006 KTM 450 EXC that i am wanting to sell. The KTM is titled and street legal. LED Turn signals, front and rear brake lights, horn, high low beam, mirrors. It has 2200 miles and has a GPR steering stabilizer, soft seat, and KTM Skid plate.

The bike is located in Pennsylvania and I am riding the 500 and would be glad to sell the bike to anyone that is there and might be interested. I have the title, $3600obo. this is also listed in the flea market.

Thanks, I can email pictures.
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #170
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
If you are going to the S500 this weekend and are loaded down heavy, I have a lot of room in my RV and truck for gear, food, beer (with a cold refrigerator/freezer). Just get it to me before Friday. (I work in Richmond but live 20 minutes south or Richmond in Chester)
UnfortunateIy, I don't have any extra room for bikes as the tailgate needs to be up to haul the RV and only one bike will fit diagonally.
Did you say beer? What site are you slumming it at? Gonna do up some BBQ ribs with the other Hampton Roads inmates on Friday night. Sites C-6 thru C-9. Slide over and have some meat and a beer. Being the fiscally responsible adult that I am, there will be ample PBR's.

Cheers Ken
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #171
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 11,415
Can the SMIBs come by?? we'll bring our own beer

I got bean soup in J-8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But things were getting tense, and I know nothing defuses a tough situation faster than boobies.
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #172
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,510
F-8 ya Moran!

VAC
2003 KLR 685 "Street Ugly"
2007 KLR 719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #173
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,092
C-21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
What site are you slumming it at? Gonna do up some BBQ ribs with the other Hampton Roads inmates on Friday night. Sites C-6 thru C-9. Slide over and have some meat and a beer. Being the fiscally responsible adult that I am, there will be ample PBR's.
Sincere thanks! That sounds awesome! I'll bring something to share. I do love ribs and PBR! My personal favorite beer is whatever is on sale! We will be on site C-21, it shouldn't be too hard to spot us; our "tent" is about 12' tall and 28 feet long! I am SO stoked about my first S500!

Old 10-03-2013, 03:28 AM   #174
Dual Sport Armory
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Shen 500 killer deals

Hey Guys and Gals
Were loading up today, Dual Sport Armory is bringing some killer Shen 500 deals and new products from some of the largest brands.
We also will be in full force to support your weekend.
So Stop by of set up and say Hello.

Hope to you all there
Allen
http://www.dualsportarmory.com
Dual Sport Armory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:34 AM   #175
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Quote:
Sincere thanks! That sounds awesome! I'll bring something to share. I do love ribs and PBR! My personal favorite beer is whatever is on sale! We will be on site C-21, it shouldn't be too hard to spot us; our "tent" is about 12' tall and 28 feet long! I am SO stoked about my first S500!
I am also an S500 wirgin and have been like a 12 y/o girl before a Beiber concert... Why young girls like this kid is beyond me (my daughter WAS one of them) since he kinda looks like a 12 y/o girl himself.
Sweet looking rig man. How does your 1/2 ton do towing it? The boss and I have been talking about getting a decent camper since the baby boy has joined us. And I love my 1/2 ton Chevy.

And you are living the good life my friend. Got's me a cot and a lantern to throw in my 7X12 moto trailer.

My rig is a black chevy, silver trailer and a KTM.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:45 AM   #176
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 641
Quote:

And you are living the good life my friend. Got's me a cot and a lantern to throw in my 7X12 moto trailer.

My rig is a black chevy, silver trailer and a KTM.
You guys make my set up look like a shanty...

wilkinsonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:49 AM   #177
TRIPPEEE
ugh!

Oddometer: 30
Free food and beer! This is shaping up nicely. Who wants to share some 93 octane?
TRIPPEEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #178
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,092
Quote:
How does your 1/2 ton do towing it?.
It's a 6 cylinder EcoBoost! Everything Mike Rowe says in the Ford commercials is true. I can go from 25 on the on ramp to 70 surprisingly fast with no drama. This truck pulls much better than my old V8 GMC with no fuss, no complaints. The only thing Ford doesn't tell you is that this wonderful EcoBoost that gets 21 MPG on the highway drinks gas like a dehydrated camel when towing. I'm LUCKY to get 9 MPG with the rig behind me when headed to the beach. This weekend going up Afton and the Blue Ridge I'll be happy to get 7-8 MPG. I thought about a F-250 diesel but this truck is quieter, easier to park (I work in the city), very posh MUCH cheaper to maintain, and it was $16,000 less than a comparably equipped 250 that was pushing $65k!!!
Old 10-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #179
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Quote:
It's a 6 cylinder EcoBoost! Everything Mike Rowe says in the Ford commercials is true. I can go from 25 on the on ramp to 70 surprisingly fast with no drama. This truck pulls much better than my old V8 GMC with no fuss, no complaints. The only thing Ford doesn't tell you is that this wonderful EcoBoost that gets 21 MPG on the highway drinks gas like a dehydrated camel when towing. I'm LUCKY to get 9 MPG with the rig behind me when headed to the beach. This weekend going up Afton and the Blue Ridge I'll be happy to get 7-8 MPG. I thought about a F-250 diesel but this truck is quieter, easier to park (I work in the city), very posh MUCH cheaper to maintain, and it was $16,000 less than a comparably equipped 250 that was pushing $65k!!!
Yeah! The big three have lost their fricken minds with what they are selling the diesels for.
I have the Vortec Max Silverado. It has the 6.0 out of the 2500 and heavy half running gear. I get pretty much 14 no matter what I am doing. Tows very well but they went cheap with the trans (4 spd) and the payload is no more than a regular half ton. Want to go back to a diesel now that we are back down south but I really like this chevy and Momma needs a new car first.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #180
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Oddometer: 6,505
Update

This just in.
Quote:
We are ready to roll. The new course has been established. The weather forecast points to excellent riding weather. The Natural Chimneys campground is open and ready. The ladies clubs supplying our lunches are glad we are coming. The government shutdown forced us to create a "Plan B" route for the S500 that avoids forest roads, so we are using county roads. The course is a mix of gravel roads bridged by asphalt - more of any adventure ride feel. We maximized the amount of gravel which is a little less that 40% of the route. Despite all the problems you can bet the food, the scenery and camaraderie will be outstanding. Hope to see you all at the S500! Washington Area Trail Riders - WATR