ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #91
Spacelord
Mutha Mutha

Oddometer: 882
can someone explain the decibel test ?

I have a MRD with the decibel killer and screen, but it's still not stock quiet. Also wondering how "responsible rider" a person needs to be.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #92
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacelord View Post

I have a MRD with the decibel killer and screen, but it's still not stock quiet. Also wondering how "responsible rider" a person needs to be.
I can't recall if they do the AMA sound test with the meter, but I would think if your decibel killer brings it below 98 you should be okay. There's always a tendency to want to ride this like a fast enduro. You have to realize that the forest roads are not closed to traffic and you could easily find yourself in Earl's front grill as he comes barreling down the same hill you're trying to barrel up. I'll leave that up to you. The route will also pass through a number of small, quiet neighborhoods where an irresponsible rider can quickly erase any good will that the club has built up with the local population. Please observe the noted speed limits here. They will go over all of this in the riders' meeting.

- Ken
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #93
Spacelord
Mutha Mutha

Oddometer: 882
Thanks man
Old 09-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #94
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
As a Noob I'm concerned about flats... Bought my tool pack tire changing equipt and working on practice before the event. Planning on 2 front HD spares and 1 rear hd spare + patches and ability to air up on the trail.

I read we should run 15 psi +

Any Veterans have and other good recommendations for avoiding or dealing with pinch flats.
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #95
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacelord View Post

No decibel test. They want your registration, insurance card, AMA card and tire pressure about 15lbs or more.
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #96
b3h
ol dog on a stray

Oddometer: 181
Spark arrester is the main thing. Forest service approved = good togo.
b3h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:21 AM   #97
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut

Oddometer: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post

Any Veterans have and other good recommendations for avoiding or dealing with pinch flats.
18# is pretty safe. Pinch flats are hard to avoid if you go fast. This isn't a race so 15# or less and going slow is good
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:42 AM   #98
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,051
Im in and going to be by myself so if anyone needs someone to ride with or a group that doesnt mind me tagging along. Let me know.
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #99
Beer_me
JY

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r View Post
Im in and going to be by myself so if anyone needs someone to ride with or a group that doesnt mind me tagging along. Let me know.
I too am rolling solo. Ken (wilkinsonk) and I have chatted via email via the WATR board, although it will be news to him here that I, "Beer_me" and "JY" are one and the same. Anyway, maybe we've got a group of 3??? That's a good # in my book. Any more and I'd think it would get too strung out ... but correct me if I'm wrong b/c this is my first S500. I'm on a TE 250 btw but haven't had a problem keeping up with larger displacements. I just have to shift a lot more. ;)
'11 Husky TE250
Beer_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #100
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
As a Noob I'm concerned about flats... Bought my tool pack tire changing equipt and working on practice before the event. Planning on 2 front HD spares and 1 rear hd spare + patches and ability to air up on the trail.
Holy cow... 3 HD spares! Those things are pretty bulky/heavy. It takes me so long to change a tube that if I got to my second flat, I would surely be done-for-day.
I hope you don't need all those. I carry one regular 21" tube on rides (although I have HD tubes mounted) and pray I won't need it.
I've never done this ride, though.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #101
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_me View Post
I too am rolling solo. Ken (wilkinsonk) and I have chatted via email via the WATR board, although it will be news to him here that I, "Beer_me" and "JY" are one and the same. Anyway, maybe we've got a group of 3??? That's a good # in my book. Any more and I'd think it would get too strung out ... but correct me if I'm wrong b/c this is my first S500. I'm on a TE 250 btw but haven't had a problem keeping up with larger displacements. I just have to shift a lot more. ;)
Good! Three is a good number. I have ridden the S500 before and it's a fun ride. I'll be riding my KTM 450 but won't be fast I can assure you.
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #102
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
I doubt you'll need that many spares, but if you do end up needing to change out tubes, the marshals are usually pretty good about stopping and lending a hand. I got a flat one year and did it solo in about 20 minutes. But that was the first one in many years of doing the ride. Like other's have said, if you haul ass through the rocks, you'll be changing tubes. If you take it easy through the rocks, you can probably ride all weekend on the same tubes.

Quote:

phreakingeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #103
Dual Sport Armory
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Hello Fellow ADV riders

Dual Sport Armory will be on hand over the weekend.
We will have tire's, tubes and the other parts and gear on hand.

We will be available to provide technical support and will be available to mount and install tires Friday and sat night.

If you need us to bring you something just give us call ahead

See you soon

tks
Dual Sport Armory
www.dualsportarmory.com
Dual Sport Armory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #104
Beer_me
JY

Oddometer: 65
Hey DSA, do you have a brick and mortar shop in Winchester or are y'all primarily online sales? Regardless, I do plan on becoming a customer soon. Looks like you have a good selection of stuff at reasonable prices. Glad to hear I can buy my way out of a jam at the S500.

I typo'd this on my fone yo'
'11 Husky TE250
Beer_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #105
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
Holy cow... 3 HD spares! Those things are pretty bulky/heavy. I've never done this ride, though.
YES THEY ARE!!! Maybe I'll cut back to two...

I'm hoping that reasonable Psi and Non Hare Scrambles pace should keep flats to a minimum.

Will be my first time riding in the rocks.

Whitfield screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 03:14 PM
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote