User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
jonz OP
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,082
Pirelli tires

I was just on the Pirelli website looking for info on the MT21 vs the Rally front tire for use on my 950SE. Interesting that neither is acceptable to Pirelli for use on my bike. Hmmmmm
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,065
I wonder why? I run the Rally on my 950 Adventure. Great tire.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,396
We are on our second MT21 now and luv em, speed tested to 196 and they held together
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
Rodknee
Aggrivator

Oddometer: 2,010
i have the pirelli scorpion rally front tire, and it is awesome. very good offroad, and surprisingly good onroad, even wet tarmac. very impressed with it
Rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,377
Scorpion rally. Even worn out, it's a great tire!

Sa
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
JRod152
will work for tires

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
Scorpion rally. Even worn out, it's a great tire
Agreed! I'm a fan. Stiff enough sidewall for off road riding at 20-ish psi. 34 on the slab.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 710
my guess as to why pirelli doesn't officially "endorse" the other tires is two fold: 1) their website is just a bit outdated. 2) the speed rating on the tires. The OE on the ADV is the MT90AT and is a 54V (149mph) rated tire. The majority of the other DOT legal front tires (90/90-21 size) are a 54R (106mph) or 54S (112mph).

legally they probably don't recommend it because there could be a failure at sustained high speeds, but realistically it's fine to run any of them because how many of you are running 100mph+ for sustained periods??

for the SE it only had a 54R rated tire (Karoo T in most countries) but also had a sticker on the top triple clamp that said max speed 100mph or something to that affect. They assume that if you are buying the SE then you aren't paying attention to things like that anyway.

I know I've been running the Pirelli off road tires (all their MX/XC front tires are DOT legal) for the past few months. The rear MT16 didn't last on the freeway (stupid fun off road but not happy with pavement) but the front tires have been excellent. they wear quickly but stick well off road.
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
jonz OP
Miles are my mantra

I've used the MT21 before and liked it. While not sustained, I've run it above 100 a number of times for minutes at a time and no problems. I was on the website looking at the rally tire and thought since it was a "rally" tire that it would perhaps be better for a bigger, faster, heavier bike. Not sure now whether Pirelli thinks it is so or not.
STOC #326 IBA #217
Old 07-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,594
I can't speak for the Rally but I flogged the MT21 all over South America and I have no qualms with running it on my SE.

I pushed one well beyond the limits and ran the tread right off of it at speed and it handled remarkably well even full of holes.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
I have to chime in and mention that I love the stock MT90 Scorpions so far. They handle great on the road in wet and dry conditions. They also offer pretty darn good traction in gravel and mixed packed dirt. Of course in the mud or sand they can't do much, but overall I'm pleasantly surprised by them. And the price is a bit better than other tires too.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
jonz OP
Miles are my mantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
I can't speak for the Rally but I flogged the MT21 all over South America and I have no qualms with running it on my SE.

I pushed one well beyond the limits and ran the tread right off of it at speed and it handled remarkably well even full of holes.

Well, at least you got your moneys worth out of that one
STOC #326 IBA #217
Old 08-01-2013, 04:43 AM   #12
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
I just ordered 2 rear and 1 front MT21 for my 690 from the Motorcycle Superstore since they're running a good sale on them. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

Very nice tire and so is the Rally front which I run on my 990.
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
jonz OP
Miles are my mantra

Talked to a Pirelli rep today

I was at Chaparral and I went into the tire section to get my new front tire. I asked about the Rally but they didn't have it in stock but they did have the MT21. The Chaparral guy wasn't sure about the difference between the two tires. But it just so happened the rep from Pirelli was there teaching employees about Pirelli tires. The rep came over to talk with me and explained that the rally was a 90/10 dirt/road tire and the MT21 was an 80/20 dirt/road tire. He said the MT21 is made from a harder rubber compound and would last longer especially on pavement.

As to neither being recommended for the 950, he explained that in fact it was possible that both might be recommended for the 950 in other countries. However, the litigious nature of the USA may prevent it being marketed for a particular bike here. He gave me a specific example of a front tire used on the Yamaha Tenere in Germany which is sold with a "105" sticker which is to be put on the speedometer to indicate the maximum safe speed for that tire. He said that would be a lawsuit waiting to happen in the USA.
STOC #326 IBA #217
Old 06-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #14
OrangeDevil37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
just bought a scorpion rally front for the 990. got it put on today. i have 2700 miles or so on the clock so im hoping i get to atleast 6000 miles on this front tire. i havent switched out the 908rr rear yet. its been a pretty good tire. 2700 miles and it still looks like ill get another 1000-1500 miles out of it. ill write up a tire report and a few hundred miles and let yah know what i think.
2006 250sx-f
OrangeDevil37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:48 PM   #15
Maoule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz View Post
I was at Chaparral and I went into the tire section to get my new front tire. I asked about the Rally but they didn't have it in stock but they did have the MT21. The Chaparral guy wasn't sure about the difference between the two tires. But it just so happened the rep from Pirelli was there teaching employees about Pirelli tires. The rep came over to talk with me and explained that the rally was a 90/10 dirt/road tire and the MT21 was an 80/20 dirt/road tire. He said the MT21 is made from a harder rubber compound and would last longer especially on pavement.

As to neither being recommended for the 950, he explained that in fact it was possible that both might be recommended for the 950 in other countries. However, the litigious nature of the USA may prevent it being marketed for a particular bike here. He gave me a specific example of a front tire used on the Yamaha Tenere in Germany which is sold with a "105" sticker which is to be put on the speedometer to indicate the maximum safe speed for that tire. He said that would be a lawsuit waiting to happen in the USA.
I'm a little confused; I went to 3 sites that sell the MT 21, including Chaparral, and they all list it as a 90/10 tire. I wonder if the Pirelli rep was blowing smoke or, if indeed, it has a harder rubber qualifying it as an 80/20. Rocky Mtn has it for $80, btw.
Maoule is offline   Reply With Quote