Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #16
pizzaforbreakfast OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
The T1 is an interesting challenge. I fully embraced what Martin laid out for us and it served me well. I appreciate him maintaining a standard and holding people to it. That standard made this all the more special for me.

There are 65 challenge points with the last one being worth 2 for a total of 66 possible points. 66 - 3 (the 3 first points outside of Challis that I missed) gave me a score of 63 from the challenge points alone.

For style points I received:
+4 solo
+1 self supported
+1 no pre-run
+1 one day less then 7 days

Grand total 70.

If (when) I do it again I will run lots of lights, dual gps units, and possibly a trials tire.

Being able to ride at night (at a good clip) would be very helpful. Only having one GPS is dangerous since it could fail and is so important. Additionally, I used batteries to power mine which caused it to lose power on rough terrain and shut itself off. This was very annoying - I must have turned my GPS back on many hundreds of times throughout the trip. Next time I will run power from the battery. I trashed two tires on the trip and have heard that trials tires have much more life to them. I will be experimenting with one now that I am home to see if it works for me.

I may add to this as I reflect on my journey over the coming weeks. I wanted to get it out while it was still fresh in my mind. It was the stories of the T1 that I read here on advrider that inspired me so much to go for it myself and I want to repay that in turn.

If anyone has any questions in preparation for their own attempt I am here to help.

Cheers!
pizzaforbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #17
pizzaforbreakfast OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
What a great ride.
I would like to know a little about legalistic for such a long dirt ride.
What you packed for bike spares. Did you change motor oil along the route.
Is this trail to much for a 690?
I packed all the tools I needed to take apart my bike, irons, a pump, spare 21" tube, batteries, TP, toothbrush, gortex shell, down jacket, warm hat, warm gloves, summer gloves, 2 smoke oil, ACR beacon, camera, JB Weld, spare plug, cell phone, saw (which I lost on day 1), space blanket (useless IMO), MSR bladder... I think that's it! I wore a flight vest and carried most of the weight in Mojavi saddlebags.

I changed my oil in Salmon along with my rear tire.

The T1 is probably too much for a 690, but who knows? I know I couldn't have done it on one. I didn't take pictures during the sketchy stuff but trust me, it is sketchy. The T3 is more setup for a 690. It is the same as the T1 minus all the crazy singletrack. Sections like the Massacre Mountain Loop and Lowell-Wallace would be very difficult on a big bike. They were tough on a 2 smoke.

I thought a 2 stroke would be perfect for this trip and it just about was. The largest bike I would consider is a 500cc 4 stroke dirtbike. I think a 250cc 4 stroke would be even better though.

In my opinion a 2 stroke is more reliable and lighter. My bike weighs 221 lbs dry so with 5.3 gallons of fuel I still weigh in at less then a brand new 500 exc dry.

The road sections are easy and you can ride them on almost anything. It is making good time on the singletrack/doubletrack that will hamper your progress on a larger machine.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #18
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,509
Congrats on finishing!

I have been eyeing the T1 for years now and now that I have a bike to do it on, will probably go for it next summer.

Thank you so much for documenting your trip! Looks awesome.

Looks like the Dromedary worked well. I was wondering if a shampoo cap would be a direct replacement for that missing cap.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #19
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,509
What date did you start?
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #20
pizzaforbreakfast OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
Congrats on finishing!

I have been eyeing the T1 for years now and now that I have a bike to do it on, will probably go for it next summer.

Thank you so much for documenting your trip! Looks awesome.

Looks like the Dromedary worked well. I was wondering if a shampoo cap would be a direct replacement for that missing cap.
Thanks! I thought the same thing about the shampoo cap. :)
I had heard some guys talk about taping the small cap shut/down/on for security but alas I did not listen. I would recommend just attaching it with epoxy before you go - fuel is still easy to pour out the big hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
What date did you start?
July 21st.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #21
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Congrats on Finishing!!!!......and with 70 points!!!!
AWESOME!!!!! Great job on the RR also!!! Martin has laid out a FANTASTICK route!!!
Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #22
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,716
Thanks for the info. And yes that was a great ride.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #23
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,548
What Dingweed said!

I switched out the cap on my dromedary, no problem with it coming off YET.

Thanks for the lunchtime entertainment.

Hiya Scott!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #24
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 729
pizzaforbreakfast,

You managed to take some great pictures during an extremely challenging ride. I think you are nor ready to run the Dakar!

Do you know what the final mileage was for your course?

Cheers,
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #25
pizzaforbreakfast OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
pizzaforbreakfast,

You managed to take some great pictures during an extremely challenging ride. I think you are nor ready to run the Dakar!

Do you know what the final mileage was for your course?

Cheers,
My GPS was on for 1536 miles, but I would bet the real total is a little closer to 1600. This included the Canadian border to Sandpoint and Poky back to the start.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #26
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,152
Nice pictures!

You said you left California at the start, but it looks like your bike has an Idaho plate.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:20 AM   #27
pizzaforbreakfast OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post
Nice pictures!

You said you left California at the start, but it looks like your bike has an Idaho plate.

In California it is difficult to plate a dirtbike, let alone a 2 stroke.
I am fortunate enough to have a good buddy who lives in Idaho. He lets me borrow his bike any time I want and even encourages me thrashing on it.
He ought to I suppose... I bought it for him. ;)
Old 11-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #28
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
Good report and congratulations on finishing a grueling trip in great style. The 2014 route will be considerably different with much more single track. This trail is morphing into one of the truly great rides anywhere.
Some more information on how much 2 stroke oil you packed would be good because there are always a lot of questions from guys riding 2 strokes considering this trail.
Thanks
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:52 AM   #29
pizzaforbreakfast OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpillar View Post
Good report and congratulations on finishing a grueling trip in great style. The 2014 route will be considerably different with much more single track. This trail is morphing into one of the truly great rides anywhere.
Some more information on how much 2 stroke oil you packed would be good because there are always a lot of questions from guys riding 2 strokes considering this trail.
Thanks

Thank you for uploading your tracks to GPS exchange. They are what I followed on my trip.
I read a new 2013 ride report over on motorcyclejazz tonight and it got me reminiscing. I still think about this ride every day and plan on doing it again in 2014. More singletrack you say!?!
Tell me more...

I left the UT border with three 20 oz gatorade bottles of 2-stroke oil and a full tank. 60 ounces of oil is about 0.45 gallons, which at my mix ratio (50:1) gives me 22.5 gallons of premix. Adding the 5+ gallons that were in my tank and I had 27.5 gallons of premix total, for a range of ~962 miles (estimating 35 mpg). That got me to Salmon and topped off my tank when I arrived. I purchased an additional 1-1.5(?) liters of oil in Salmon and that took me the rest of the way.

I carried the oil in my right saddlebag along with a tube, zip ties, and masterlink. Next time I would carry my oil in the factory container rather then some other container, and I would suggest using a marked gatorade bottle to measure with. Mixed the fuel right in the tank of course.

A 2-smoke is a great T1 weapon, especially if there is going to be even more singletrack next year. Light-weight, simple, and reliable.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #30
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
Nothing is finalized yet but so far there will be changes to Day 1 which will include more single track, there will also be changes to other days but just sketchy at this point. If you check out the Mojazz webpage there are some new videos on there that may show some of it. The final tracks usually change quite a few times in the weeks leading up to the opening of the trail so they don't get published till the last minute. Each year the trail has become more and more difficult to complete, luck being one of the factors involved due to fire closures etc. I think it will be harder (riskier?) to ride solo for 2014. I will ride with a partner next year, where I normally ride alone. Thanks for posting your fuel logistics it will help others that want to ride the trail on two stroke bikes.
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote