User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
Johnny Locks OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Advice for parting out R100GS

I've been toying with the idea of parting out my R100GS. It's a good bike and could probably have quite a lot more miles in it (it's at 97K,) but I think I'm ready to move on to something else, and it seems like the market for high mile airheads is very small; meaning they are difficult to sell. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as though I would get a lot more for it if I part it out. Sure, it will be 100 times more work, but that will give me a project for the winter.

So I'm just starting to think about the process. I guess I should make a list of parts/assemblies, and then try to come up with asking prices that are in the right ballpark. Problem is, for a lot of the stuff, I just don't know what the right ballpark is. I might have to do a whole bunch of research to see what others are asking.

Any advice is appreciated. Anything from "don't do it" to "here's how to do it."

Thanks

Johnny Locks screwed with this post 07-30-2013 at 11:37 AM Reason: Clarity
Johnny Locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
CaptainCrunch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I vote for "don't do it". I'd only part out something I hated.
If it's a solid, running bike that has served you loyally I'd say send it on down the road in one piece.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,720
I dunno about parting it out, but you could spend a little bit to make it more $$, as long as you need a project for the winter, and sell it whole to somebody. That would be my personal opinion. I wouldnt hold it against yas, of course. Parts is parts
Old 07-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,375
If you're going to part it out the best way is to ebay the parts. If you're honest about the mileage the parts probably wont fetch too much money.

Now if you shipped it to Europe it's probably still worth $2500 as it is.

I'm curious why you think it isn't worth doing anything with it. It doesn't take too much time and effort to clean them up and sort the out so it's got to be a viable project for somebody else.
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
jellycow
Back on track!

Oddometer: 803
I've gone both routes (parting out and refreshing) and this is my personal experience, which might only be valid for europe.
The thing with parting out is, 10% of the parts is in demand and will sell right away, 20% will sell within reasonable time, 20% will take al long breath and the other 50% will clutter your garage untill you give it away or throw it out. Consider if those 30% most popular parts are enough to put up with the other 70%. Not just moneywise, also in time/effort/storage, just do some math and be realistic (pestimistic.)
So, personally, if she isn't worn and tired beyond hope: I'd make her look pretty and fix her up to be a good ride. Which might be as much work but you'll get a better price and only have to stick up with 1 transaction and probably a few tyrekickers coming by. Instead of countless mails*, waiting for answers, waiting for money, multiple postoffice runs and who knows what else.

* Each and every part/buyer will demand some kind of attention, that's a lot of attention to be given!
Old 07-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Locks View Post
I've been toying with the idea of parting out my R100GS. It's a good bike and could probably have quite a lot more miles in it (it's at 97K,)
R100GS is a very desirable bike with high resale values. normally one see older RT type airheads for $2,500+ range in running condition. seldom will you see R100GS for less than $3,500.

any R100GS in good running condition will bring more than that. 97k miles is just getting started on airheads. but maintenance will be needed.

post your bike for cheap on flea .. and watch it disappear.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
R100GS is a very desirable bike with high resale values. normally one see older RT type airheads for $2,500+ range in running condition. seldom will you see R100GS for less than $3,500.

any R100GS in good running condition will bring more than that. 97k miles is just getting started on airheads. but maintenance will be needed.

post your bike for cheap on flea .. and watch it disappear.
I agree that it would be a shame to part it - However, it you really must then let me know if you've got a solo seat for it that you want to part with...

You can have my Airhead when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!
I only subscribe to the Girl on an old motorcycle: Post your pics! thread for the comments!
globalt38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
pecos
BAM!!

Oddometer: 530
I have had 15 r100gs, ranging from regular ones to PD ones that are showroom with extremely low miles to beaters to well taken care of ones with high miles that you would never know.

My experience has been that the high mileage ones do not sell well. Its the one common haggling variable buyers love to play. Even if you have 3-4 inch stack of records and tons of accessories to follow.

To part out a GS it will take time, patience and management skills. However you will help those who need parts to keep their bikes running. At the end of the day(couple months) if your bike is in good shape, you can part out to get round $2500-3000. If you are a professional you will get $3500 and more.
pecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
stucknarut
Uh oh...

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellycow View Post
I've gone both routes (parting out and refreshing) and this is my personal experience, which might only be valid for europe.
The thing with parting out is, 10% of the parts is in demand and will sell right away, 20% will sell within reasonable time, 20% will take al long breath and the other 50% will clutter your garage untill you give it away or throw it out. Consider if those 30% most popular parts are enough to put up with the other 70%. Not just moneywise, also in time/effort/storage, just do some math and be realistic (pestimistic.)
So, personally, if she isn't worn and tired beyond hope: I'd make her look pretty and fix her up to be a good ride. Which might be as much work but you'll get a better price and only have to stick up with 1 transaction and probably a few tyrekickers coming by. Instead of countless mails*, waiting for answers, waiting for money, multiple postoffice runs and who knows what else.

* Each and every part/buyer will demand some kind of attention, that's a lot of attention to be given!
+1. That's pretty much been my experience too. The crap part isn't parting it, it's selling it. Unless you're just getting rid of a parts bike you're done with, it's a LOT easier and more fun to become the PO. And you don't have to feel like you just shot Old Yeller.
stucknarut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #10
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalt38 View Post
I agree that it would be a shame to part it - However, it you really must then let me know if you've got a solo seat for it that you want to part with...
not mine .. but once the most desirable parts are gone.. you'd be left with hassles of selling rest of bike.

to me my time is worth way more than hassles of parting a bike out. but since R100GS is one of the more desirable airheads. it's questionable if one will make more parting it out.

for a less desirable airhead like say R100RT with full fairing. I've seen very nice RT type airheads sell for $2,500 to $3,500 range. folks after R100GS and R80G/S airheads are seeing less choices with higher prices.

it's getting common to see R100GS sell for $4k+ range in rode really hard condition. R80G/S are flat getting hard to find in any condition. starting to see $5k+ for trashed out R80G/S.

doing a national craigslist search used to yield 6 to 10 R80G/S for sale all over USA. now that same search barely yields 1-2 R80G/S for sale. with fully restored/ultra low miles R80G/S go for $10k+..
Old 07-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #11
darklight79
scaffold builder

Oddometer: 418
Dibs on the wheels
darklight79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #12
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

we need pic's ... your bike could be so trashed .. best thing might be to part it out ... or still looks pretty darn good to where it'd sell quick...
Old 07-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #13
brittrunyon
R 100 GS F 650 GS

Oddometer: 473
You said............................
Quote:
It's a good bike and could probably have quite a lot more miles in it (it's at 97K,)
I say.....................Let it live a long & prosperous life all in one piece!

My Motorcycle Videos & More @ http://vimeo.com/user2721333
No Rules Photography @ http://brittrunyon.com/
brittrunyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #14
Johnny Locks OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
It's not trashed, or in need of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
we need pic's ... your bike could be so trashed .. best thing might be to part it out ... or still looks pretty darn good to where it'd sell quick...
The bike is in good shape. I mean, it's 20 years old with 97K on it, so it's not looking new, but it's a solid bike. I wasn't thinking of parting it because it's trashed, or even has any problems. I'm just trying to maximize my investment in it because every penny counts towards getting whatever I get next. Sounds like it's probably not a good idea to part it.

I just got in a fender bender with it, most of the damage was to me (broken leg/ankle.) The right exhaust header needs replacing, and it's got some new scrapes on the crash bar, so it came out OK. That wasn't the reason I was thinking of parting it. I would like to get $3800 for it, and I think that might be difficult, buyers will be thinking about the accident and the milage.

It sounds like I wouldn't make any more parting it and I'd end up with a bunch of stuff sitting around.
Can find a whole bunch of bad photos of it here:
http://jbemel.smugmug.com/Motorcycle...299925_rDMzb2/
It's actually looking better than in those photos, replaced pushrod seals this spring and cleaned off most of the oil residue and it got a good wash.
Johnny Locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #15
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The bike is in good shape. I mean, it's 20 years old with 97K on it, so it's not looking new, but it's a solid bike. I wasn't thinking of parting it because it's trashed, or even has any problems. I'm just trying to maximize my investment in it because every penny counts towards getting whatever I get next. Sounds like it's probably not a good idea to part it.

I just got in a fender bender with it, most of the damage was to me (broken leg/ankle.) The right exhaust header needs replacing, and it's got some new scrapes on the crash bar, so it came out OK. That wasn't the reason I was thinking of parting it. I would like to get $3800 for it, and I think that might be difficult, buyers will be thinking about the accident and the milage.

It sounds like I wouldn't make any more parting it and I'd end up with a bunch of stuff sitting around.
Can find a whole bunch of bad photos of it here:
http://jbemel.smugmug.com/Motorcycle...299925_rDMzb2/
It's actually looking better than in those photos, replaced pushrod seals this spring and cleaned off most of the oil residue and it got a good wash.
if everything is in good solid reliable riding condition for a fly n ride.

your price expectation is low for a fully farkled out R100GS, even with 97k miles. too many instances of folks going RTW with 200k+ miles.. could be wrong, but at $3,800 on flea, someone will claim this R100GS.

_cy_ screwed with this post 07-30-2013 at 04:43 PM