User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #181
mjt1577
MinisterOfSillyWalks

Oddometer: 52
Hooked another follower!

Hey TOC...just got turned onto your RR...you're writing a real page-turner, man, so I'm really looking forward to your future posts! 3 mates and I are doing the Dempster next year, so this is a great read with lots of info to help us plan...keep up the good work!

cheers...from a fellow Cowichan Valley guy!
Mike
mjt1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:11 AM   #182
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer: 681
Bike on its side floating on branches, camping in the muskeg with bugs dive bombing our great adventurer and then......

Have a heart man, gives another update.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #183
kimzx1000r
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Maybe the tent bike and him all sunk and this is the end?
kimzx1000r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #184
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 839
Day 10

Sleeping was not easy. It never really got dark, and the whine of the power plant was ever present, even though it was well over a kilometer away. Through the noise, I could hear a few wolves howling in the distance. As I tried to sleep, all I could think about was getting unstuck. I just couldn't block it out of my head.

5:30AM came early, and so did the sun. There was no more sleep to be had, so on 3 hours rest, I got up, filtered some water out of the river, and made coffee and porridge. I was going to need some energy this morning. I went for a long walk, thinking that I saw some garbage on the way in that might have been useful. I was thinking that a big piece of plywood was just what I needed.

There's been bears about. Not all that surprising.. I should be concerned about bears, but I seem to have lost my fear....I'm too tired to care. What do you do if wolves start harassing you?

Then what do you know, back by the ship, I found some some chunks of plywood!!!! That's the kind of luck I needed! It looked like it was from what was left of a collapsed ice fishing hut. I pulled out 2 boards from the jagged mess, and dragged them about a kilometer back to camp...

Phase 2: With a plywood platform to stand on, I was finally able to get the bike vertical. Finally some progress! I started the engine, and tried to walk the bike out of the hole. This
wasn't working though.

I realized that I needed to put the plywood right beside the wheels, then drop the bike down, drag it to the middle of the boards, and pick it up again.

By the time I had the bike upright again, the boards were slick with mud. Here was my chance to nail this. I started the engine, gave the bike some gas, and spun the wheel on the board. It grabbed a dry spot, and I was able to jog the bike across the mud to the grassy bank. Success at last! 340 lbs of bike was finally on high ground.

I started packing up my things and loading them up on the bike. While I finished my coffee, I had a look at the map.

As it turns out, the Mackenzie river proper was about 12 kms away. This was just a tributary. The main part of the river was about a kilometer wide on average, with some spots over double that. It looks like there is a giant network of lakes and tributaries surrounding the river on either side. This is one of the largest river systems in North America.There must be amazing fishing opportunities!

I spent about 5 hours total getting out of this hole, including the night before. By the time I was packed up, I had already burned through breakfast, so I headed back to town looking for a 2nd breakfast.

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 12-11-2013 at 12:14 PM
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #185
mjt1577
MinisterOfSillyWalks

Oddometer: 52
EPIC!!!...glad you made it out under your own steam...well done!
mjt1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:18 AM   #186
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer: 681
Fantastic! I don't know how you kept your wits about you and still remembered to take pictures. I would have flung the camera in the river by now. Great thinking and scavenging to find the plywood. Awesome adventure and RR.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:46 AM   #187
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,403
Whew

Sometimes the decisions we make…nice report.
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #188
00Buck
dirt rules

Oddometer: 196
Thumb

Awesome RR, TOC. What an adventure!
Brings back good memories of our ride north in June 2012 on two DR650's. We rode for 22 days, got as far as the Arctic Circle on the Dalton and just past the Tombstone mountains on the Dempster. Definitely going back, I love the peaceful remoteness and beauty of the north.

Amazing you managed to get unstuck without help. I probably would've had a heart attack and been eaten by bears. Really enjoying your photos and writing, and your conversations with the locals. A few pics of the people would add to the story. Eagerly awaiting the rest of your tale!
Old 12-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #189
hasenwerk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
I take it you recommend NOT going next to the river?

One of the reasons why I hate travelling alone.

Excellent ride report - I do miss my DRZ

ADVRIDER Discount: BMW F650 GS & Dakar / G650 GS & Sertao "Adventure Extender" 6L / 1.6gal Auxiliary Fuel Tanks
hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #190
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Congrats ToC on a job well done. May I ask if that second breakfast was before you removed all that mud from your bod or did you just walk in "come as you are " and order a massive plate of food???

Great RR, thanks again.
Gale B.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #191
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Buck View Post
Amazing you managed to get unstuck without help. I probably would've had a heart attack and been eaten by bears. Really enjoying your photos and writing, and your conversations with the locals. A few pics of the people would add to the story. Eagerly awaiting the rest of your tale!
I feel bagged just looking back at the mess! Good thing for fresh tires! Yes, I do need to learn to be more outgoing about photographing people. I know how I feel with a camera in my face, not everyone likes it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasenwerk View Post
I take it you recommend NOT going next to the river?

One of the reasons why I hate travelling alone.

Excellent ride report - I do miss my DRZ
DRZ's are awesome! I don't mind travelling alone. You can do things on your own terms, and there's no one to blame if things go wrong. It keeps me from doing stupid things - most of the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale B.T. View Post
Congrats ToC on a job well done. May I ask if that second breakfast was before you removed all that mud from your bod or did you just walk in "come as you are " and order a massive plate of food???

Great RR, thanks again.
No one expects a biker to be too clean upon arrival in Inuvik! I used my rain gear, and washed up a bit in the river. The bike had never been dirtier!

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 12-11-2013 at 09:13 PM
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #192
00Buck
dirt rules

Oddometer: 196
[QUOTE=Tropic-Of-Canada;22970580]I feel bagged just looking back at the mess! Good thing for fresh tires!

Yes, I do need to learn to be more outgoing about photographing people. I know how I feel with a camera in my face, not everyone likes it!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's as simple as asking for their permission. After a few minutes of friendly conversation, they usually are more than happy to let you take a pic.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:45 AM   #193
Nordo
GS Geezer

Oddometer: 74
Great RR

Great read, great pics.....thanks for the RR...
Old 12-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #194
VI DSR
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumb Fantastic RR!

Really well done ToC, great pics and narration. Big thanks to Buck for turning me onto it . Your getting stuck reminded me of when I had to roll my bike out of a mud hole once (lay it on its side, then flip. When I was much younger, and my bike was much lighter, lol).
VI DSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #195
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,763
Wow, things sure got interesting since my last check-in

Riding alone in far-off places can be risky. I drowned my Dakar and had a hell of a time getting it up on dry land. Tried to tip it upside down to empty it broke the clutch lever and finally had to leave it and walk miles before a truck came by and gave me a lift to a town.

Up there, yikes! Glad you got it done