Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #196
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 836
Hmm, I've never thought to try flipping my DRZ! I did manage to crack my coolant overflow reservoir, luckily on the top. A piece of duct tape has done it fine ever since.

I was with in walking distance of town anyway, I'm just glad the tide didn't come in!
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #197
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

I headed back into town to look for food. Not much appeared to be open. I saw a dirt road, and someone was working in a cleared off strip off of the bank.
He looked like he was measuring and surveying. He was the only person around, so I stopped to ask him where a good place to eat on a Sunday was. "The Mackenzie Hotel! Great food!"
"You look like you're getting ready to build something" I said.

"Yeah, we're setting up for the all weather road to Tuk!"

"Ah! So this is the start of the ice road!! I guess there's going to be some hiring going on!"

"Yeah there will be some jobs for sure, talk to Northwind Industries, they pretty much run the whole town!"

I parked in front of the Mackenzie Hotel, and threw my bike cover on. A middle aged indigenous couple came out of the hotel and asked where I was from. I told them, and it was the usual why would you come up here?

"We're from a place called Old Crow, it's a fly-in village northwest of Dawson. Yeah, we're gonna go visit Vancouver sometime, I want to take my son to go see the city, go to the PNE, that sort of thing."
(I was thinking to myself "Why would you go all that way just to go see a city?".....) I guess it depends on what you're used to. It's just another kind of experience.

"Is there good food inside?"

"Oh yeah, get the 12 Stone Special!" (I can't remember what the name of the breakfast I had was actually called), it's the one with 3 pancakes, 2 eggs, and bacon and sausage, potatoes, and fruit. It's huge, it's delicious, and it's about $16. You will be full.

I must say, the place is pretty swank, especially considering where it was! I realized that I tracked a bit of mud inside, and felt a bit bad about it...The staff gave excellent service with a smile, were super courteous, and kept re-filling my water and coffee as fast as I could drink them! It's as though they knew what I had been through!

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 12-13-2013 at 07:22 PM
Old 12-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #198
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
I love that Northwind Industries logo! I get that the tail is supposed to be tornado-esque. To me it looks like Frank Herbert's God Emperor of Dune's Man/Sandworm chimera character started off as a mechanically inclined Inuit hunter/tundraworm.

http://agrbrod.deviantart.com/art/Go...Dune-332231575

Click on the little green square at that link to bring up the pic.

Bike Nomad screwed with this post 12-15-2013 at 04:38 AM
Bike Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #199
Scratch33
Fugawi?

Oddometer: 1,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
I must say, the place is pretty swank, especially considering where it was! I realized that I tracked a bit of mud inside, and felt a bit bad about it...The staff gave excellent service with a smile, were super courteous, and kept re-filling my water and coffee as fast as I could drink them! It's as though they knew what I had been through!
Girlfriend and I stayed at the Mackenzie on our '07 ride up there. We walked into the lobby covered in dirt from head to toe - they didn't mind at all. Great place.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #200
Herbivore63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Hey ToC...nice riding and a great ride report. I just stumbled across it this evening and have read through the whole thing. It's always more interesting to read about the adventures of local riders!

Do you have any stats on your average mileage per day? What was your longest day? I've been riding just over a year and came from cycling as you did. I took a couple trips this year, not quite as epic as yours, but rode the Washington BDR and the Utah BDR. One of the biggest challenges for me was just getting tight and sore after about six to eight hours in the saddle--shoulders, neck, throttle hand, etc. I've got a few years on you, but I'm in pretty good shape. How did you manage those long days and how did you stay alert that long...other than large doses of caffeine?
Herbivore63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #201
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivore63 View Post
Hey ToC...nice riding and a great ride report. I just stumbled across it this evening and have read through the whole thing. It's always more interesting to read about the adventures of local riders!

Do you have any stats on your average mileage per day? What was your longest day? I've been riding just over a year and came from cycling as you did. I took a couple trips this year, not quite as epic as yours, but rode the Washington BDR and the Utah BDR. One of the biggest challenges for me was just getting tight and sore after about six to eight hours in the saddle--shoulders, neck, throttle hand, etc. I've got a few years on you, but I'm in pretty good shape. How did you manage those long days and how did you stay alert that long...other than large doses of caffeine?
Hi, thanks! I figure I averaged about 400kms per day, and the longest was definitely the 2nd to last, from Prince George, to Lions Bay, well over 600kms.

I don't think that there is any way to get around pain, other than to just keep doing long rides, and to keep changing up your riding position. Take breaks, do stretches, and keep hydrated. I used to get the hot poker feeling in my neck all the time on longer rides, but I don't seem to as much these days, I guess you develop fitness over time. I do live with back issues, and there was a time where I thought the bike was causing problems in my upper back. I gave the trails a rest for a while, but the pain didn't recede very much. I then got back on the bike, and I noticed the pain started to go away.... I'm not sure why. It comes and goes.

"How did you manage those long days and how did you stay alert that long...other than large doses of caffeine?"

Like pain, alertness comes and goes! You have to respect the bodies need for naps when it is telling you to take one, and yes, a short term caffeine addiction may have developed! It is certainly possible to fall asleep on a bike.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #202
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,387
Well said!

Quote:
Like pain, alertness comes and goes! You have to respect the bodies need for naps when it is telling you to take one, and yes, a short term caffeine addiction may have developed! It is certainly possible to fall asleep on a bike.
Amen brother!
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #203
hasenwerk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
I don't think that there is any way to get around pain, other than to just keep doing long rides, and to keep changing up your riding position. Take breaks, do stretches, and keep hydrated. I used to get the hot poker feeling in my neck all the time on longer rides, but I don't seem to as much these days, I guess you develop fitness over time. I do live with back issues, and there was a time where I thought the bike was causing problems in my upper back. I gave the trails a rest for a while, but the pain didn't recede very much. I then got back on the bike, and I noticed the pain started to go away.... I'm not sure why. It comes and goes.
My back got messed up in 2001 from being rear ended in my VW Golf. I find riding makes me have less pain in my back and neck mainly 'cause you are forced to move it and stretch more when riding as opposed to driving... that's my excuse anyhow!

ADVRIDER Discount: BMW F650 GS & Dakar / G650 GS & Sertao "Adventure Extender" 6L / 1.6gal Auxiliary Fuel Tanks
hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #204
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivore63 View Post

For me, caffeine is to be avoided unless needed at the end of the day.

For me, doing 600-1000 mile days requires 3 things, on the road diet, bike prep, and person prep.

On the road, I stick away from large meals, eat more often and I don't drink soda of coffee. Drink lots of water, eat protein and good carbs. Yeah, I know, food is part of travel. Sometimes my stomach is touchy, so sticking away from exotic road foods is a necessity anyway, for me. For me, vacation is time to be spent doing, not sitting in a restaurant or hotel. I eat a lot of Subway on the road. Get the sandwich, ride until I find a scenic spot, eat half. In another 2 or 3 hours, eat the other spot to eat the rest of the sandwich.

Make sure you have a good seat, and arrange your luggage to provide lower back support. When I did the TX->AK-> TX on my KLR650, I had several 800+ mile days, and almost all where 600+ mile. My luggage was arranged so the portable gas can was right behind me, and provided excellent lower back support. The KLR had a standard Sargent seat, and a Zero Gravity Double Bubble windshield.

I also had highway pegs on the crash bars to help the knees, but with exercise I have regained some flexibility in the knee and don't need them on the Tiger for 800+ mile days.

I do need to lose about 30 lbs before the next riding season though

And again, above all, listen to your body.
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #205
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Yes, the luggage back rest helps too! I used to think I needed highway bars too, but I just don't get sore in the legs that way anymore.

I don't think there's a single Subway in all of the Yukon, and that's fine, they all have that freezer taste if you ask me!

Gas station sandwiches got to taste real good after a while, and most of them are pretty healthy anyway.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #206
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
I don't think there's a single Subway in all of the Yukon.
There are a few in Whitehorse. They are probably listed in the phone directory under "Fine Dining".
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #207
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Amazingly enough, Cambridge Bay, Nunavut, on Victoria Island has a Pizza Hut!
Old 12-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #208
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

After breakfast, the bells on the church across the road started ringing. I really should have gone inside for a look!

I found a gas station that was just opening. I noticed that they had a wash station, so I asked the girl nicely if I could use it, and she said "Sure no problem, just go turn on the pump in the shed. Leave it on when you're done!" No charge! That's always nice.

This is the community greenhouse, which runs for about 6 months of the year, and I would guess that it is a good supplement to the grocery bill, given the price of fresh produce up here.

Many of the buildings here have a foundation of steel frames with airspace under them. If they were on a normal concrete foundation, heat would cause them to sink into the hidden permafrost below. The piles are set in place by boring holes into the permafrost, dropping the piles down, and then setting them by pouring water into the holes until they freeze solid.
The city plumbing, and sewage lines all run above ground. As far as I know, they have a heated or insulated liner of some kind to keep them running, which is the other function of the power plant.

I headed back towards the start if the ice road. I felt like do some exploring. After few clicks, it started to get very rutted, but at least it was rock hard. Then I thought "What the hell am I doing? This isn't much fun for a loaded bike, I've had enough trouble already!! I'm outta here!

I gassed up before I left. $1.79/L. There is to be no complaining about that!

I found Jak Park about 1/2 a kilometer south of where I got stuck. Oh well, that would have been boring to write about! It would have been a nice nights sleep though. You can see the lookout tower in the park behind the sign.

The highest view in town!

I had been on the road for ten days now, and I had eight days left to make it home, 3700 kilometers away. The journey was now half over.

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 06:15 PM
Old 12-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #209
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

On the way out of town, I noticed the weigh scale. What the heck, I tried it out. If I remember right, bike and rider was 270KG. X 2.2 for pounds made for 594lbs. The bike is supposedly 335lbs, I'm supposedly 170lbs.... 89 lbs of gear??? Must be all the gas... Maybe it was the big breakfast.

Further down the road,

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 12-19-2013 at 09:19 AM
Old 12-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #210
Scratch33
Fugawi?

Oddometer: 1,941
Quote:
Further down the road,

"Top of the world, Ma!!"