Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer: 673
Fantastic pictures and write up. Thanks
Old 08-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #93
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 838
The Border

So I pull up to the Canadian border guard hut, shut off the engine, and immediately, the same guard storms out the door towards me asking for a passport...I reminded him of our discussion, and he asks for photo ID and Place of birth.

"Victoria BC......Why do you not have a passport?"
"Well, I haven't been to the states since I was five!" I said.
"What? You live on the mainland and you are telling me you never go into the states???"
"Well, no..."
"Weird....Are you bringing any firearms into Canada?"
"No."
"Do you have any other weapons to declare?"
"Just bear spr-"
"Welcome to Canada......"
IMG_1096
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #94
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Some interesting buildings back in Stewart.

The windshield, so far doing it's job! I can tuck the bottom of my helmet into this spot and be almost free of wind noise!

It's a pretty long haul to Dease Lake on Hwy 37, on one section, there are some pretty big high tension electric towers going up. Might make an interesting construction delay for someone...

The Pavement on 37 north of Meziadin Junction is absolute torture on tires! Glued down jagged gravel! I'm not sure how that was a highway improvement. I would have preferred to ride the dirt that it was before!

I love these signs! I regret not taking a picture of one that listed the services..Food, gas, lodging, Helicopter.....

You start getting a sense of nothingness when they start naming culverts as geographical features on the road, and helicopters and bush ambulances are parked here and there.

That, and the odd abandoned vehicle!

Managed to ride through and get ahead of this storm!

I'm really starting to notice the longer daylight! I didn't get out of Stewart until 2:00, yet still covered about 400kms. I found a good camping spot on Dease Lake, just north of town. There was even a bit of wood left at the fire pit!

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 11:21 AM
Old 08-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #95
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Day 6 : Late Start.

I wake up about 7:00 with a smashing headache on the beach of Dease Lake.........I've been afraid of this for the entire trip, I get these in bouts that last about 2 months, and I can get them every few days, almost on cue every time... I missed my last day of work before leaving because of these...Aside from the hot poker type pain on one side, the red, tearing up eye, and clogged sinus, I cannot keep my eyes open without pliers...My body just wont let them! Can't ride like that!

It incapacitates me until about 2:00. It was a struggle making breakfast and pumping fresh water through my filter. At least it is warm enough to just lie on the beach in pain....I gotta get some miles in!

First stop was Jade City. Not a city at all, but a nice little tourist trap! Nice people who run it, lots of green trinkets to buy, and free coffee! That and a Oh Henry get me through for the next while... I'm looking for some real food soon. I feel starved and dehydrated..

There are some neat artifacts to see at Jade City. Here is a gas powered reciprocating saw.

Good Hope Lake. No gas here, despite what the sign says!!!

And Miles and miles of this, up to the Yukon Border. The smell of smoke is getting ever stronger.

Well, this is my first time leaving BC north of the border!

I made it to the Yukon Territory! Still haven't made it to another province yet!

Here's some useful info for Hwy 37. It never hurts to take a pic of these numbers and places.

Had a reasonably healthy, yet mediocre meal near the 37/Alaska Junction. It was good to eat anything at all, but there was waay too much butter on my rice, and I paid top dollar for a tiny bottle of water with it...While staff drank from a pitcher....I will leave them nameless!

Got a good soaking further up the Alaska, Flashes of lightning, thicker smoke.

I pushed as far ahead as I could to make up for the late start. Just made it to Teslin in time to get gas before they closed at 11:00. Got another free coffee just before they dumped it!

The rain has brought out the bugs! I leave Teslin in the dark. The bugs look like snow in my headlights.

By the time I get here, I can barely see through the bugs on my visor! I'm 40 kms north of Teslin, good enough for the night! I'm hoping I can ride the Canol on the way back!!!

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 05:39 PM
Old 08-27-2013, 04:38 AM   #96
Noone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoneRider View Post
The 4 big gripes with my TX to AK and back were

1) I did not strap down my gear well enough one day, and lost a dry bag, that bag had my tire tools. I needed those tools just outside Dawson, luckily I ran into the Dick at the downtown hotel and he got me going.

Ain't that a bitch!!? I still have a set of tire irons somewhere in Canada in a ditch. Lucky for me three Canadians were only a few minutes behind me on the Cassiar and had tools I'm much to lazy to walk.
Noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #97
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Funny, I was worried about my things being strapped down good enough for the Dempster, which as it turns out, is for the most part, devoid of pot holes and washboard!

Many Vancouver Island backroads are in much worse shape than the Dempster, though I can see how it might get slick in the wet with the sort of clay base it is.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #98
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Day 7: Canol Junction to Dawson

Well, got a good early start to the day, It was still damp out, not raining, but looking like it could. Good motivation to get going!! I was on the road by 8:15.

Some old mining company trucks at the south end of the Canol Road.

IMG_1210

IMG_1217

I ride in to Whitehorse for that now far overdue oil change and breakfast...Oil comes first! I don't want to miss my chance!
First traffic light since Smithers!!

IMG_1236

Downtown is actually quite busy, it certainly feels like a city, most traffic I've seen in a long while now! I ride towards an intersection with a 2 way stop, myself having the rightaway...Luckily, I'm always scanning intersections, and I see someone gliding right through the stop sign without even slowing down!! I hit the brakes firmly, and hit my new 135db horn...They didn't even flinch!! I'll be glad to get on the highway again...

I don't think it's called Yukon Harley anymore, but I went to the non Yamaha/Suzuki dealer, as it was the first I saw. They were real nice by going out of their way to get me an oil pan, and dispose of my used oil for me, despite how busy they were! Props to them for that.

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 10:40 PM
Old 08-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #99
Boots...No Bike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
Funny, I was worried about my things being strapped down good enough for the Dempster, which as it turns out, is for the most part, devoid of pot holes and washboard!

Many Vancouver Island backroads are in much worse shape than the Dempster, though I can see how it might get slick in the wet with the sort of clay base it is.
The Dempster sounds like a dream compared to Austin Road!
Boots...No Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #100
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Yes, Austin road has seen better days!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #101
Boots...No Bike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
They're workin' on it!
Boots...No Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #102
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Wildlife Exchange

So just north of Whitehorse, I notice a few changes in the wild life. I came into within 6 inches of hitting some sort of lemming thing with no tail, and I start noticing these birds, at the same time realizing that I hadn't noticed that I hadn't seen a crow for a few days. Lots of little gopher prairie dog sort of creatures as well that stand on their hind legs staring at the sun, and then go running as you come close. Lots of ravens still, and they are huge out here!!

IMG_1259

IMG_1262
Old 08-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #103
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Day 7 Cont'd, Whitehorse to Dawson

Five finger rapids on the Yukon River. There was a sign saying how the river boats would have to go through the narrow part with the assistance of winches on shore. It is the only part deep enough for such craft.

IMG_1266

Miles and miles of nothing but trees!

IMG_1275

I imagine what it would be like to walk into the wilderness when there is nothing but this for hundreds of miles...

IMG_1270

The first of a few guided construction zones. It gets reeeeel dirty!!!!

IMG_1279

I stop along the Yukon River somewhere and have a sandwich. I look over at one of the banks, and see these at the base! It was quite a jump up, I wonder if they are wolf prints...

IMG_1285

I'm getting close to Dawson.... I must be!!!!

IMG_1288

I wonder if I'll make it before dark, Hehe!!!

IMG_1292

11:00PM and I finally make Dawson!! Now what to do.... I have tires that need changing!!

IMG_1307

I guess I'll look for a low key tire changin' camp!

IMG_1311

Too spooky for me! Gnomes, candles, goblets and other items are strewn about, I'm outta here!

IMG_1310

I find a nice spot, have some food, and start changing tires! it will be good to get that weight off the back!!

IMG_1317

Not that the spare didn't have its uses!!

IMG_1158

I finish up the front at about 1:30 AM. It's almost dark out.. Time for bed!

IMG_1316

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 07:30 PM Reason: title
Old 08-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #104
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,959

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #105
L.B.S.