ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
Dearnla OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dearnla's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Middle England
Oddometer: 134
1190 ADV home made heat shield

Well, I thought I'd share my home made heat shield "Build Diary" with y'all.

I know I live in England and heat isn't usually a problem, BUT......

Here's the LHS of the bike. Under the seat and at the sides of your thighs, there 's free airflow from the rear cylinder and exhaust header. So eventually the heat soaks into the seat and you have to ride along cowboy style for a bit of cooling air. Come the winter, nobody will complain.

 photo IMG_0450_zps157db76b.jpg

There is space to fit a piece of thin plastic sheet behind the frame. I used a piece of card to cut a template on some black plastic modelling sheet 40 thou thick by 12" x 9" (30cm x 23).

You'll see a couple of tie wraps holding wiring and plastic trays in place. These get cut, and holes drilled in the plastic (and shaped flat at the top) so that you can move the sheet up and replace the tie wraps, threading them through the sheet.

I also drilled a couple of smaller holes so that I could tie wrap down the frame for a bit more rigidity (just behind my chain oiler).

 photo IMG_0458_zps2082e4fe.jpg

On the RHS I had to weave the plastic sheet in and out of the frame pieces, using one tie wrap at the top and one on the strut, due to brackets for throttle cables.

 photo IMG_0459_zps42601bc0.jpg

Then, under the seat, I cut up some heat shielding bought off eBay for 10 (50cm x 25cm) and shaped it to cover most of the front of the seat, where the heat is transmitted up to.

 photo IMG_0457_zpsc2c73454.jpg

The final finishing touch is a bit of draft-proofing foam tape to try and seal the gap between the front of the seat and the bottom of the tank, stuck just under where the orange plastic panels finish.

Total Cost, around 15

I'll give it a good test tomorrow heading to Silverstone for the WSB open day event and let you know.
Dearnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 150
Touratech will have a laser cut piece of ally out in a few days, probably only cost you 150 pounds, and it'll give you a bit more of that genuine adventure look that's so important.:

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Frog uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Tancakar's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: London , UK
Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog uk View Post
Touratech will have a laser cut piece of ally out in a few days, probably only cost you 150 pounds, and it'll give you a bit more of that genuine adventure look that's so important.:

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

its better to be nice at 150 price tag.
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Tancakar's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: London , UK
Oddometer: 357
if it works it will worth 150 this heat isnt good !
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
ColoradoBigfoot
Adventurer
 
ColoradoBigfoot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Front Range, CO
Oddometer: 97
That's cool you are going to the WSB race. Sure was a nasty crash in Moscow huh?
If you can, please post up some pictures of neat bikes or groups of bikes (if you can). I ask because at MOTOGP-Austin this year there were areas where rows of similar bikes were parked. Cool looking at all of the types of riders as well.
Have fun at the races!
ColoradoBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:26 AM   #6
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer
 
umitc's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Istanbul
Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearnla View Post

 photo IMG_0457_zpsc2c73454.jpg

I'll give it a good test tomorrow heading to Silverstone for the WSB open day event and let you know.
I did the same with my seat; the seat became even warmer. The aluminun coating kept the heat on the seat. I can tell you, the bottom of the seat was as hot as you could fry eggs on. :-))))))

In my opinion, the only way to save the balls is, to place a one piece heat guard between the top of the cylinder and the frame. This is my opinion; I have tried a lot of things with no success so far.
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:49 AM   #7
Babatad
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Babatad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Always in different locations
Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearnla View Post
Well, I thought I'd share my home made heat shield "Build Diary" with y'all.

I know I live in England and heat isn't usually a problem, BUT......

Here's the LHS of the bike. Under the seat and at the sides of your thighs, there 's free airflow from the rear cylinder and exhaust header. So eventually the heat soaks into the seat and you have to ride along cowboy style for a bit of cooling air. Come the winter, nobody will complain.

 photo IMG_0450_zps157db76b.jpg

There is space to fit a piece of thin plastic sheet behind the frame. I used a piece of card to cut a template on some black plastic modelling sheet 40 thou thick by 12" x 9" (30cm x 23).

You'll see a couple of tie wraps holding wiring and plastic trays in place. These get cut, and holes drilled in the plastic (and shaped flat at the top) so that you can move the sheet up and replace the tie wraps, threading them through the sheet.

I also drilled a couple of smaller holes so that I could tie wrap down the frame for a bit more rigidity (just behind my chain oiler).

 photo IMG_0458_zps2082e4fe.jpg

On the RHS I had to weave the plastic sheet in and out of the frame pieces, using one tie wrap at the top and one on the strut, due to brackets for throttle cables.

 photo IMG_0459_zps42601bc0.jpg

Then, under the seat, I cut up some heat shielding bought off eBay for 10 (50cm x 25cm) and shaped it to cover most of the front of the seat, where the heat is transmitted up to.

 photo IMG_0457_zpsc2c73454.jpg

The final finishing touch is a bit of draft-proofing foam tape to try and seal the gap between the front of the seat and the bottom of the tank, stuck just under where the orange plastic panels finish.

Total Cost, around 15

I'll give it a good test tomorrow heading to Silverstone for the WSB open day event and let you know.
Wow that's pretty resourceful and creative. Unfortunately even this kind of DIY is beyond my skill set. Would need a lesson on how to do this - I hope it works - do let us know if this reduces the heat. Really creative!!!
Babatad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:38 AM   #8
Dearnla OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dearnla's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Middle England
Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by umitc View Post
I did the same with my seat; the seat became even warmer. The aluminun coating kept the heat on the seat. I can tell you, the bottom of the seat was as hot as you could fry eggs on. :-))))))

In my opinion, the only way to save the balls is, to place a one piece heat guard between the top of the cylinder and the frame. This is my opinion; I have tried a lot of things with no success so far.
If that's the case, that will be the next thing I do!!
Dearnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:44 AM   #9
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer
 
umitc's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Istanbul
Oddometer: 315
Fry an egg? :-)))))
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:41 AM   #10
Babatad
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Babatad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Always in different locations
Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearnla View Post
If that's the case, that will be the next thing I do!!
A few rashes of bacon while you're at it please Dearnla. Lol.

As I said I ride in really warm weather and its bearable even if I'd prefer not having the heat. If you are in cold weather I dare say this would be a bonus.

Ok, off to get some marshmallows to roast them over my engine.
Babatad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:52 AM   #11
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer
 
Orangecicle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: West Des Moines, IA
Oddometer: 2,063
Nice work. Consider using carbon fiber in your heat shielding if possible. I burned numerous pairs of pants on my 950's exhaust until I made my own C.F. heat shield. You can hold the C.F. heat shield without a glove when the bike is at full operating temperature:


I would think that you could make a C.F. heat shield for the new Adventure that wraps over the frame and under the seat that you could then remove pretty quickly when necessary.

The other trick is going to be giving that heat some other way out. If you seal off the seat area, the heat may just build up.
__________________
"I'd like to meet the joker who had the nerve to call this a road!" -- Walter Sigmann
"Loud tires save lives." -- Unknown
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/brad.horn.9
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #12
Dearnla OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dearnla's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Middle England
Oddometer: 134
Well it was over 30 degrees yesterday riding to and from Silverstone and I think the heat shielding bodge is a success.

When I got off the bike, the seat was normal temperature and at the sides, I could tell the heat was much less. As I moved my hands forward, I could feel the cylinder head heat radiating.

I think the heat dissipates fine when moving, so I've no worries about my mods.
Dearnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:52 AM   #13
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer
 
umitc's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Istanbul
Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearnla View Post
Well it was over 30 degrees yesterday riding to and from Silverstone and I think the heat shielding bodge is a success.

When I got off the bike, the seat was normal temperature and at the sides, I could tell the heat was much less. As I moved my hands forward, I could feel the cylinder head heat radiating.

I think the heat dissipates fine when moving, so I've no worries about my mods.
congratulations. :-)))
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:18 AM   #14
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Tancakar's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: London , UK
Oddometer: 357
Sounds like a result
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:04 AM   #15
Babatad
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Babatad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Always in different locations
Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearnla View Post
Well it was over 30 degrees yesterday riding to and from Silverstone and I think the heat shielding bodge is a success.

When I got off the bike, the seat was normal temperature and at the sides, I could tell the heat was much less. As I moved my hands forward, I could feel the cylinder head heat radiating.

I think the heat dissipates fine when moving, so I've no worries about my mods.
Congrats!!! If you have some spare material and some instructions I'd buy it from you :) seriously because there is nothing I've seen for sale on the market to address this. Yet.
Babatad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014