User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
Touring XR OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
looking for porting/tuning help

I've got a 2001 TM300E. Love everything about it except the MX like powerband. This thing has a huge hit and no flywheel. Being old and lazy, I'd like something more 2-stroke tractor like.

No, I don't want to sell it and buy a 300 EXC.

Who is still out there tuning that would radically retune my TM?

Geoff
Touring XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Check around to see if anyone makes a weighted flywheel. Maybe an exhaust restricter , but then you'll get into jetting too. Otherwise you can't deport/detune a 2-stroke.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,122
some very simple options would be to add a base gasket to increase squish... or increase flywheel weight... depending on how it's jetted now, you could jet a bit rich on the main and maybe fix the hit - sometimes hit is from jetting transition..but usually it's just port design/timing.. you could also gear it a bit different and maybe lessen the hit, but that would most likely lose the bottom end you want... a smaller carb could increase low end, but you'll lose that screaming top end - as would different pipe design, a longer intake tract could help too...(not really an option..) unless there's a carb spacer available - backing up the carb even 10mm makes a difference... adjust the power valve - haven't looked at that motor to see the power valve design... you could play with timing to lessen hit too.... either way you're gonna give up top end overrev if you want to mover the power around a bit...
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more

stainlesscycle screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 04:37 PM
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Wouln't another base gasket make it peakier by raising the exhaust port?
Old 07-31-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,122
yes. i meant thicker head gasket. typing without thinking. don't know if that has o-rings on head, or copper head gasket. cometic probably makes a thicker head gasket (if it takes them...).... you can go thinner base gasket, thicker head gasket to keep compression the same, and move port timing around. i'm gonna bet the squish is pretty darn tight on that motor to begin with.... either way, the best way would probably be smaller carb probably the most effective way to get rid of hit.. you could get a different throttle too... since it's italian i'm betting it has a tomaselli/domino throttle - there are 2 different throttle tubes - the black one (from memory) is quicker, and the white one is slower...i'm gonna guess our favorite dumbass will chime in when his nursemaid wakes him up...
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more

stainlesscycle screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 06:17 PM
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,371
Send the head , cylinder and power valve too
http://www.eric-gorr.com/ServiceMasterlist2-Strokes.php tell him what power band you would like and he will make it happen..

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways View Post
Send the head , cylinder and power valve too
http://www.eric-gorr.com/ServiceMasterlist2-Strokes.php tell him what power band you would like and he will make it happen..

This!

And a flywheel weight!
Old 07-31-2013, 11:48 PM   #8
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring XR View Post
I've got a 2001 TM300E. Love everything about it except the MX like powerband. This thing has a huge hit and no flywheel. Being old and lazy, I'd like something more 2-stroke tractor like.

No, I don't want to sell it and buy a 300 EXC.

Who is still out there tuning that would radically retune my TM?

Geoff
Firstly you are never going to make it run like a trials bike, but can certainly make it much more tractable and easier to ride relatively easily. The changes I am going to suggest are all small, and in themselves wont make much difference, but together should help with what you are looking for.

Firstly get 2mm machined from the cylinder base, dry build the motor and machine cylinder head to get 1.5mm squish clearance. You will then need to accurately measure the combustion chamber volume, and get the chamber itself machined to reduce compression by 1 (if its 6:1 get it reduced to 5:1).

Have a careful look at the flywheel, and see if it would be possible with the aid of a spacer behind the cover, to fit a specially machined brass weight to the flywheel, ideally this would need to be at least 500g.

Next look very carefully at the pipe, and see if it would be possible to lengthen the front part where it exits the cylinder, possibly using parts from a used pipe from another bike.

Finally test the modified bike, and make adjustments to the ignition timing which may be required to help the modifications work most efficiently.

Those alterations will change the bike quite a bit, but are relatively involved, and will cost a fair amount of money, if you are paying someone to do the machining. All in all it might be better to look at getting a bike more suited to what you are looking for in stock form?
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:40 AM   #9
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Never mind. I gotta stop that shit.

anotherguy screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 06:05 AM
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:13 AM   #10
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Never mind. I gotta stop that shit.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:49 AM   #11
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,487
All good ideas here, except, the you can't detune a 2 stroke.

Eric Gorr yes, when he got done with my wife's YZ 125 it pulled better off the bottom than my KDX. It had no hit but smooth power all through.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #12
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
If you cant detune a 2T, then why dont all trials bikes run like MX or road race bikes?

Those who profess to be 2T "tuners" on here, dont seem to have much grasp of very basic stuff though, and I would guess would only be able to suggest fitting extra head gaskets..................

The things outlined in my earlier post, should go some way to helping achieve what the OP is looking for, but in terms of cost probably going to be more than changing the bike for something more suitable.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #13
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
All good ideas here, except, the you can't detune a 2 stroke.

Eric Gorr yes, when he got done with my wife's YZ 125 it pulled better off the bottom than my KDX. It had no hit but smooth power all through.
I would not not call what Eric Gore detuning.

When I had him do my 01 CR 250 I was amazed and a bit skeptical when I got my cylinder back to see that he had epoxied in the intake tract and transfer ports and totally reshaped them. He explained to me that he increased the volumetric efficiently at low RPMs to give the motor more bottom end and a better spread of power across the rpm range.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605

slideways screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 02:35 PM
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #14
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #15
B_C_Ries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,835
That is amazing, I never thought that there would be an epoxy that could survive in an exhaust port, must be incredible stuff..

Eeer, never mind just re-read the post and saw that it wasn't the exhaust that was epoxied, I got a bit excited when I thought there was some epoxy with supernatural powers.
B_C_Ries is offline   Reply With Quote