Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #46
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Yeah I met the Swiss-German lady at that motel too - how's her sister doing after that cruise ship incident? I just wanted to wash my socks...

(PS moose o' clock is just after sundown)

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #47
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 14,564
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #48
Cuttle OP
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojournalism View Post
Yeah I met the Swiss-German lady at that motel too - how's her sister doing after that cruise ship incident? I just wanted to wash my socks...

(PS moose o' clock is just after sundown)

I know about the "sundown moose hour".... problem is it's also the kick back, feet up, beer hour.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #49
Cuttle OP
me? what?

DAY 8 - New Brunswick - Maine oh just f' it - New Brunswick
aka how to survive a record rainfall

The plan was to ride to norhtern Maine, meet up with T.E and ride south for two days on dirt-roads. But rain caught up with us overnight . And I mean RAIN with capital letters: 112 mm rain record

so yes, after a couple of hours we called it a day... and found ourselves a nice private room with "bay view", (fake) fireplace, kitchen, laundry room, etc.. It was actually an huge studio apartment on the bottom floor of a fancy big house. And yes... the owners were German WTF? 3 days in a row

"killing time" our way:

Old 08-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #50
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post

I know about the "sundown moose hour".... problem is it's also the kick back, feet up, beer hour.
And its a good thing it is - you don't want to tangle with a Moose in a car, nevermind on a bike!
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #51
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
And its a good thing it is - you don't want to tangle with a Moose in a car, nevermind on a bike!
It's easier on a bike...you can duck.
Skyclad's Wanderings - Bald Eagle Bastards - The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
KCCO
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #52
Laconic
Anodyne

Oddometer: 16,818
Very nice!
Laconic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #53
Cuttle OP
me? what?

Day 9: New Brunswick - Maine (2nd try)

As odd as it is having 3 days in a row German "in-keepers", I gotta say the food was great (the first motel did not have food)

German version of an American breakfast in Bouctoue: homemade sausage

overall the room was a deal: studio with about 1000 sqf with, monster king bed, bay view, fireplace, full kitchen, plus a huge bathroom with laundry and sausage kitchen and indoor parking . Including pictured breakfast for two we paid $90 including tax.

Still a bit rainy when we took off

It's blury... but you get the idea: no moose in sight

There was one big water crossing we had just before Fredricton: a creek went over the road and was still about two feet deep - I can't imagine how it looked the day before. Stupidly I didn't take pics when Hunter went through (he didn't wait for me to get ready) and I could not risk going through with the camera out. So, the only water-crossing of the trip is undocumented . But note to self: close your damn visor.... somehow my windshield diverted the full load into the face

Almost back in the US: Orient border crossing

lakes on the Canadian - US border

good to be camping again! Sure, it's nice to stay in a room when it rains, but it's not what we came there for

drying out: we realized at the crossing that our passport baggy was not as waterproof as we hoped

camp fire, a warm meal, a beer and a dry sleeping bag: heaven

Old 08-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #54
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,625

Old 08-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #55
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,599
Looks like a great trip, your photos are awesome! Thanks for taking us along! I hope you get to see a Moose!

BTW! Rt 3 Pittsburg NH has a section called Moose Alley. Almost a slam dunk to see a Moose but at this time of year a very large number of Moose Paparazzi will also be there. Be careful if you see one they are wicked dangerous unless you have Bananas!

Old 08-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #56
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

You did miss seeing a moose in Van Buren:

and a Maine Coon cat
and a Salmon
and a bunch of Black Capped Chickadees
and a can of Moxie.

You really didn't miss the can of Moxie. If you've ever had any, you'd understand.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:47 AM   #57
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,181
I'm telling you, all the moose moved to Wyoming where the weather is nicer and there are fewer people pestering them trying to take their photos!

I hear you about the record rainfall - I rode my bike to work in Roanoke July 10th the day before we were set to leave on vacation and almost didn't get away. A thunderstorm came by and dropped 4 inches in an hour which of course flooded all the roads... I thought DAMN it would suck to be stuck at work unable to get off for vacation, so I rode home in it anyway. That was the first time my GS had been washed in a couple of years .

Loving the report, must get up to see that country!!!

Doug
Old 08-06-2013, 06:17 AM   #58
RonSavage
adventure maker

Oddometer: 71
very nice report
RonSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #59
Cuttle OP
me? what?

Day 10: Maine
- aka "a state ruled by commerce"

So, since our "rendezvous" with T.E. in northern Maine failed, we decided to get a bit of gravel in by our own. I was told the roads south of Baxter should be ok to ride on, and the camp-host also told us to go there, and we wold enjoy it. NOT!

almost at the gravel road...

you are fucking kidding me!

I blasted right by this sign... Hunter stopped me, and him always being concerned about only being a "resident" and not a citizen, he suggested not to risk it.

I guess it pays off to be on a snow-mobile: they get nice bridges

after a while, we decided that the next dirt road is ours... regardless of sings!!! .

Well, the next dirt road had a manned gate, and I understand it's not his rules, and I know I should apologize for flipping him off.... . Oh boy was I mad, really mad. This state is beautiful, but motorcycle riders are treated like scum. Sorry, but to me it seems like this state has sold out to LL Bean and logging companies. Sad. Should have stayed in Canada instead.

So we stayed on blacktop the rest of the day. Which was nice, but not what I wanted

oh look...

at least we found a perfect camp-spot (with critters).

he said: "get wood". What he meant to say was pay for wood before they close and we pick it up later. Too late

not a bad load

camp cooking at it's finest:

love the label

Old 08-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #60
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
Day 10: Maine
- aka "a state ruled by commerce"

So, since our "rendezvous" with T.E. in northern Maine failed, we decided to get a bit of gravel in by our own. I was told the roads south of Baxter should be ok to ride on, and the camp-host also told us to go there, and we wold enjoy it. NOT!

almost at the gravel road...

you are fucking kidding me!

I blasted right by this sign... Hunter stopped me, and him always being concerned about only being a "resident" and not a citizen, he suggested not to risk it.

Yeah, it is a huge disappointment to look at a map and see all that road and know you can't go on *any* of it.

FWIW, not far beyond that sign is the Abol Stream campground. I've been there many times on the GS, its as far as I'd suggest anyone go on a public forum. The area you bumped into south of the NMW is called Ki Jo-Mary, and is also off-limits.