Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #16
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
I'm simply expressing disappointment that no one chose (please notice the underlined word as its the key to my whole comment) to do anything when a simple courtesy might have prevented some injury.
Mark, my apologies if I came across as an arsehole, that wasn't my intent, I've spent enough time helping out others in trouble or while learning to know myself well and I ain't that guy.
Who exactly are you aiming these comments at tho, I just rode around the corner, noticed nothing and carried on. I had a laugh with my friend about his off at Waikaremoana, if I had found someone injured I would have dealt with it.
However I still think that the risk of ice was well explained and expected so what's the drama about finding some?

Edit: What I am trying to say is, we should be expecting teacherous surfaces on Adventure rides and variable conditions so why is it a surprise when we come across them? I have arsed off enough myself and injured myself enough to know it hurts and to not wish it on anyone but I ride motorcycles for the thrill of the experience and accept there are risks involved with this experience. With every activity we have to decide what is our level of acceptable risk and to manage that risk, there is no guarantee that something unexpected will happen but we would have to be foolish to exclude the possibility.

Edit number 2: I hate trying to explain myself with a keyboard... Mark I agree with your comment, had riders been ignoring a dangerous situation and not warning others I would be pissed off and disappointed, I suppose I am surprised that riders have felt that this icy patch was perceived as a danger, maybe I need to review what I consider "dangerous".

Crisis management screwed with this post 08-03-2013 at 06:35 PM
Crisis management is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #17
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
Who exactly are you aiming these comments at tho, I just rode around the corner, noticed nothing and carried on. I had a laugh with my friend about his off at Waikaremoana, if I had found someone injured I would have dealt with it.
However I still think that the risk of ice was well explained and expected so what's the drama about finding some?
This is the original comment I made over on kiddie biker that seems to have unleashed world war 3:

"I have to confess to being a little disappointed that it never occurred to anyone up at the pointy end of the ride who did notice the ice (and I understand that many didn't notice) to stop and warn those behind.

A little common courtesy could have stopped up to 3 riders kissing the tarmac."

Clearly - as you never noticed it you can't have done anything about it - although I misunderstood (inferred?) from your first post that you had been with your mate when he hit the deck.

I still stand by my original comment but I confess that I am surprised how strong some peoples reaction has been.

cheers

Mark
Old 08-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #18
Micawberism OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
I have to confess to being a little dissapointed that it never occured to anyone up at the pointy end of the ride who did notice the ice (and I understand that many didn't notice) to stop and warn those behind.

A little common courtesy could have stopped up to 3 riders kissing the tarmac.

Personally I really appreciate Marty doing such a stellar job warning me of what was ahead.

Oh and thanks Clint and Rosy for a great day

Mark S

Actually Mark this was the original quote from you that I read that caused me to stop and think.
Now I realise that the internet and forums are not the ideal place for (lack of a better word) intelligent debate. Things that are written by a writer but can be read differently by a reader.
So here is what I read in your post, you were dissapointed that no riders ahead of you stopped to warn other riders of a hazard.
That those riders were lacking in courtesy
Now feel free to correct me if my interpration is incorrect.
I had no intention of starting (nor do I believe I have started) world war 3 when I started this thread. I started it because I was a bit peeved by what I read, and as I have tried (politely) to point out I dont believe I acted wrongly by not falling off on that corner. I have not belittled those unfortunate to fall off nor have I claimed superior riding skills, although these have been credited to myself and others in a number of posts.
Had a rider been lying injured or broken down on that (or any other) corner while I was passing I would have stopped and given every assistance I could.
I enjoy adventure riding. But lets be honest, it has risks. On group road rides, I have stopped and herded stock off the road to lesson the danger for following riders, anyone done that on an adventure ride? (me niether)
I strongly object to being directed to take a chill pill. I feel insulted that you should think I am actually upset about this issue. I raised it more in the hope of learning of peoples expectations on rides. You as stated (being dissapointed at those who didnt) obviously expect riders to stop and stay stopped at what you deem to be a hazard until everyone is safely past.
If that is to be the case then as Voltaire jokingly (I hope) suggested we go for the whole shit and kaBoodle.
Or .................. (and I like this option) We go for rides, we accept our own limitations, we laugh with each other and we have fun
Micawberism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:01 AM   #19
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Old 08-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #20
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
I was joking as thats what I do for a job, in my own time I just use common sense.....
I was racing yesterday and thought " If I had to do a risk assessment, safe work method statement..etc.....racing might start about lunchtime"
Lesson I have learnt about posting on Kiwibiker is don't do it....not worth the flaming from ning nongs.( hope that bit of name calling don't get me banned )
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #21
Oscar
Elitist Bastid

Oddometer: 15,935
Jeez, you guys are a bunch of sissy amateurs when it comes to flaming each other.

But seriously, this discussion goes to why I gave up organising large rides some time ago.

Mark, I agree wholeheartedly - if there was an opportunity for someone to warn the others about a specific hazard, go for it. It’s not like there were 200 people on the ride and you’d be there all day.

As far as the OP is concerned, if you have the skills to avoid the hazard, good for you – but I wouldn’t brag about it, because in my experience karma can be a bitch.

However, the world that you allude too, where safety Nazi’s dog our every step is in some part brought to us by this very attitude – “..I’m all right Jack and others can learn at the school of hard knocks”.

On organized (i.e. commercial ) rides, this attitude is almost understandable as you’ve paid your money and you figure it’s up to the organizers to worry about hazards. On a ride like this, you have a responsibility to Clint & Rosie at the very least to look out for the other riders – they’ve gone to the time and trouble of organizing this thing and they’re going to end up with the headaches if things go wrong.

It's not a matter of relying on others to keep you safe, it's a matter of taking responsibility for others to keep them safe.

“Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.”

Clive James
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #22
Micawberism OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
As far as the OP is concerned, if you have the skills to avoid the hazard, good for you – but I wouldn’t brag about it, because in my experience karma can be a bitch.

However, the world that you allude too, where safety Nazi’s dog our every step is in some part brought to us by this very attitude – “..I’m all right Jack and others can learn at the school of hard knocks”.
Did you read my first post?
Old 08-05-2013, 12:46 AM   #23
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
oh I remember you - you used to ride once didn't you?

now what was it you rode? - oh yes some old shitter black farm bike with a rangi chain oiler

fancy lunch at the Porangauhau pub some weekend soonish? if so please forward your safety plan to my solicitor and we'll see if we can work something out
It’s the best chain oiler money can’t buy...’cause it cost me nothing.

I might save my browny points for a big ride at the end of the month..

As for the rest of you, as you were.

bart-nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #24
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,994
No safety plan for that one. Ride at your own risk..

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:02 AM   #25
howieNZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart-nz View Post
It’s the best chain oiler money can’t buy...’cause it cost me nothing.

I might save my browny points for a big ride at the end of the month..

As for the rest of you, as you were.
Hey Bart how long do your chains last
howieNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:26 AM   #26
Oscar
Elitist Bastid

Oddometer: 15,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micawberism View Post
Did you read my first post?
Yes, I did.
Have you something to add?

“Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.”

Clive James
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:50 AM   #27
Micawberism OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Yes, I did.
Have you something to add?

No nothing to add. How about you read it again. But this time try and find any of the words you have credited me with
Old 08-05-2013, 02:23 AM   #28
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,360
Lets just drop it guys - noone is winning here- it's just creating antagonism. Let's get back to discussing more important things... like how much of a prick bart is
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:48 AM   #29
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by howieNZ View Post
Hey Bart how long do your chains last
4500km out of the last one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Lets just drop it guys - noone is winning here- it's just creating antagonism. Let's get back to discussing more important things... like how massive a prick bart has
Fixed

bart-nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:09 AM   #30
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart-nz View Post
... like how massive a prick bart has
well - relative to your intellect that could be true