Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2013, 06:22 AM   #286
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFastMoto View Post
Did Casselli hit the same cattle guard as Colton? Who has a pinpoint on the accident location that could see if there is a cattle guard near the spot Kurt went down?
Based on the tracking information, here's how I see it. The place where 1x stopped for a long time (rm786.6), presumably to change the front wheel, was 4.8 miles before the 2x crash location (rm791.4). There is a fence at the 1x wheel change location, but I can't see a cattle guard there, nor any for a few miles earlier. That doesn’t mean it’s not there, just that the imagery doesn’t clearly show a cattle guard. There is nothing unusual about the 2x crash spot that I can see. A few trees close to the road right there, and a fork in the road 400ft earlier. The satellite image is posted a few pages back. 2x was averaging about 67mph over the previous 5 miles, and 1x averaged about 65mph in that same segment, immediately after their long stop. 1x was going 65mph exactly when passing the 2x crash location, about 26 minutes after the 2x crash.

JUST before the "wheel change" spot at the fence, according to the time on the tracking it shows 2x was ahead of 1x by a few seconds. So, it seems 1x was stopped for approximately 26 minutes.

Also, 1x had a special tracker that it seems nobody else had (or at least none of the competitors I've looked at). It wasn't the standard SPOT Gen3.

HogWild screwed with this post 11-16-2013 at 07:02 AM
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #287
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,027
Woke up today with a pain in my heart and a lump in my throat. Still devastated to learn about Kurt. The offroad community lost a great competitor - his family lost so much more...

Still cheering for Ironman Tibi Imbuzan, who I met earlier this year, and is still moving forward on course. Good luck to all the competitors still battling on the way to a finish!
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #288
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,614
Well said Larry (Galactic GS)^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #289
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,738
I believe this is from tt but it was copied to our local forum.

ORS, on 16 Nov 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:
He is and was a great one. My heart breaks for his family. I am normally the spotter for the Robby Bell team in the helicopter and could not go this time. I did speak with the Kawasaki riders team that found him. There was nothing near him to indicate that he hit a booby trap but he could have had the accident many miles earlier. His bike was sitting on its kick stand and he had his helmet off sitting up against a tree. The bike was not broken apart from a crash. This is the issue with Baja that somehow makes it so challenging. It really is the Wild Wild West. I would personally never race it but I go to watch over friends/family and can tell you that there is probably no more challenging thing to pull together. Any mistake is exponentially made larger by the fact that it will be hours before aid can arrive if your helicopter is not over you when you have an accident. We lost a bright light in off-road racing and a great ambassador.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
frog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #290
Hohmie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Anybody that is still out there is digging pretty deep at this point I would imagine, we are still pulling for everyone hopping they conquer their dreams and make it in safe!
Hohmie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #291
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
Mexico has to stop that bullshit. It's murder 100% certainty Baja isn't going to give up who did it.
Stop spreading stupid false rumors.
http://www.district37ama.org/forums/...7&postcount=56
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #292
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Terrible stuff.

RIP #66

M.

Could you explain what booby traps are to an non racer and European?
Thanks.
makazica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #293
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,738
Yes. Delete that shit.

Fact is no one knows exactly what happened but its been confirmed that there was not a booby trap where he was. He could have wrecked right there or ten miles earlier. There hasn't been any eyewitness accounts so we will never know.

What we do know is he was a great rider/person and he will be missed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
frog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #294
AZ Air Hd
Rider - NOT biker

Oddometer: 103
Taylor Was there!

Read Taylor's 1st hand report on instagram, etc.
NO BOOBY TRAP! NO more guessing or rumours!!
Old 11-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #295
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by makazica View Post
Terrible stuff.

RIP #66

M.

Could you explain what booby traps are to an non racer and European?
Thanks.
Simply put, there have been times that spectators have "booby trapped" the roads to view a crash. A hard thing to except and even harder to prove. I'm not sure how rare it is, but I'm guessing it isn't common. The locals don't want to hurt folks, they love the race there. It brings money and excitement to their region.

All the more reason to not spread rumors.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #296
Tesla314
>_<

Oddometer: 130
KTM says he hit a small animal.

Tesla314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #297
Davidjohnson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Based on the tracking information, here's how I see it. The place where 1x stopped for a long time (rm786.6), presumably to change the front wheel, was 4.8 miles before the 2x crash location (rm791.4). There is a fence at the 1x wheel change location, but I can't see a cattle guard there, nor any for a few miles earlier. That doesn’t mean it’s not there, just that the imagery doesn’t clearly show a cattle guard. There is nothing unusual about the 2x crash spot that I can see. A few trees close to the road right there, and a fork in the road 400ft earlier. The satellite image is posted a few pages back. 2x was averaging about 67mph over the previous 5 miles, and 1x averaged about 65mph in that same segment, immediately after their long stop. 1x was going 65mph exactly when passing the 2x crash location, about 26 minutes after the 2x crash.

JUST before the "wheel change" spot at the fence, according to the time on the tracking it shows 2x was ahead of 1x by a few seconds. So, it seems 1x was stopped for approximately 26 minutes.

Also, 1x had a special tracker that it seems nobody else had (or at least none of the competitors I've looked at). It wasn't the standard SPOT Gen3.
Anybody know if the Honda rider or Kurt was using a go pro?
Old 11-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #298
trampaslake
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Anybody know if this has been confirmed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
I believe this is from tt but it was copied to our local forum.

ORS, on 16 Nov 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:
I did speak with the Kawasaki riders team that found him. There was nothing near him to indicate that he hit a booby trap but he could have had the accident many miles earlier. His bike was sitting on its kick stand and he had his helmet off sitting up against a tree. The bike was not broken apart from a crash.
Sent from my DROID RAZR
trampaslake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #299
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,111
For posterity

Live start recording of all bikes and quads for the 2013 Score Baja 1000

Video streaming by Ustream
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #300
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,688
Just for a bit of perspective on just how fast the top scooters are and how easy it is to biff out in remote areas at speed.

"Ride on board at the 2013 SCORE Baja 1000 uncut from when I get on the bike at RM385 to my untimely crash about ten miles later. The crash would end my day, but we would still finish the race............"