User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
rwavaktm OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
06 950 Oil Issue after Low Side

I really need some advise here guys. I have a 2006 950 Adv that unfortunately took a low slide down a mountain. Luckily we both survived, sort of. Wearing all the gear all the time saved me, and the bike appeared to only suffer cosmetic damage. After a lot of help we pushed pulled and got her up the 25 foot embankment. After letting her sit for sometime while we all caught our breath, I hit the starter and she cranked right up and sounded fine. I rode her the 20+ miles back to the campground with no issues.

The next morning when I started her the oil light came on and I heard a clattering sound I have never heard before. I immediately shut her down and that was all for the day. I checked the oil and she was about 1/3 quart low.
When I got her home on the trailer I did not have a chance to ride her again for about a week.
Before I rode her I topped of the oil and when I started her up she sounded fine and no oil light. I rode her about 240 miles that Saturday with no issues.
But the next day when I started her the oil light was flickering and the clatter was back.
Anybody have any idea what could be going on here?
I certainly would appreciate any insight into this issue.
00 KTM 640
07 ST 1300
rwavaktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,586
My thought is the oil pump supply check valve is not holding the oil up in the reservoir. If it drains down into the engine sump overnight, you will not have oil pressure, but eventually the scavenge pump will pump the oil back up into the reservoir and all will be fine again. I would pull the engine sump drain and see how much is down there and use a long wire or something to see if the reservoir is again low.

I can't say why this might be related to the off the mountain excursion though. Chance of an oil line or hose having been damaged? Trace those down for an inspection.

Hope this makes sense
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post
My thought is the oil pump supply check valve is not holding the oil up in the reservoir. If it drains down into the engine sump overnight, you will not have oil pressure, but eventually the scavenge pump will pump the oil back up into the reservoir and all will be fine again. I would pull the engine sump drain and see how much is down there and use a long wire or something to see if the reservoir is again low.

I can't say why this might be related to the off the mountain excursion though. Chance of an oil line or hose having been damaged? Trace those down for an inspection.

Hope this makes sense
Pull the oil filter and clutch cover while you are at it . . . . Look for signs of a WP seal failure . . . Not related to your low side.
'14 Wee2, Adventure Style "for the Real World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
rwavaktm OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Oil Issue

I had my local dealer change the oil and put my CJ Designs drain line on while he was there. He said No signs of any water pump failure in the oil filter.
Rode it all day today and it ran great. I plan to ride it Saturday and Sunday also, hopefully it's all good. I will post later.
Thanks!
00 KTM 640
07 ST 1300
rwavaktm is offline   Reply With Quote