Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
docwyte OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Delorme or Garmin?

Beginning to play more off road and after I got lost in the backwoods with no cell signal (couldn't pull up maps on my cell phone then) I'm seeing the reason for a GPS.

Question is, which one? I want a simple one, I don't need to take pics with my GPS, but I do want something that's easy to use, route with, upload GPSx tracks with, etc, etc...
Old 08-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
If your planning any international trips, go Garmin. I replaced my Delorme Pn-40 with a Garmin due to Delorme's lack of international map sets.
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
I also recently moved from delorme to garmin.

My reason was screen size. The PN-60w I was using was totally impossible to read while riding.

I moved to a Garmin Montana which is downright amazing. And head and shoulders better for motorcycle use.

Now I also used the PN-60 for backpacking. At that task id say it excelled at. Small, light, easy to use, cool unique features (spot)
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,100
Delorme Software on your PC, Garmin hardware on your bike.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
TowPro
I want to ride

Oddometer: 2,444
I also switched from Delorme to Garmin.

I like the delorme software better, but that might be because I have used it for years. I could not see the PN40 screen, and the lack of audio to the helmet is a problem for me. I also went with the Montana. Great GPS, and I am learning the software as time goes by.

I have had problems with both GPS's. the PN40 has frozen on me several times where you can only fix it by pulling the battery, then holding down the power for 30 seconds (found this answer on Delormes forums). I have never had the Montana freeze, but it has lost routes, tracks and waypoints on me. Plus every time I update it my dashboards seem to always get screwed up.
I currently run both the PN40 and the Montana on the bike at the same time. on the Montana Several times I have finished a route, saved my tracks, and went to find the "home" (summer cabin) shortcut and it was missing but the Delorme is always available to bring me back home.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
Delorme Software on your PC, Garmin hardware on your bike.
The Delorme software works with Garmin GPSs??
Old 08-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
The Delorme software works with Garmin GPSs??
I use the Delorme software to plan rides, etc. I transfer waypoints and routes to the GPS using the Delorme Software. The GPS will recalculate the routes, however if I want it to follow the route "religiously" I'll convert it to a track first.

Most of the time I plan in Delorme dump waypoints into the GPS and use the GPS for point to point routing.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #8
TowPro
I want to ride

Oddometer: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
I use the Delorme software to plan rides, etc. I transfer waypoints and routes to the GPS using the Delorme Software. The GPS will recalculate the routes, however if I want it to follow the route "religiously" I'll convert it to a track first.

Most of the time I plan in Delorme dump waypoints into the GPS and use the GPS for point to point routing.
I used to use GPSBabel to do something like this, but its a lot of extra steps when you can do almost the same thing with Basecamp after you learn it.

And while the Delorme maps seem to have more detail when it comes to back roads, I think this might be because the don't seem to remove old roads that no longer exist from the maps. I can think of 5 places within 20 miles of where I live that delorme shows a road, that has not existed in the 25 years I have lived there.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,343
I have and use both the Delorme PN60W and a Garmin Montana, The Delorme is great with the ability to load Custom maps into the PN60, As a Map layer instead of using Tracks, you can make the track you are following much easier to see than a thin Red Line, even riding at speed. For most nasty single track I still prefer my Delorme over my Montana, But the Montana is an Awesome GPS, and I now am making my own Map overlays for it so the Delorme might start seeing less and less usage. I LOVE the Delorme PC software and plan all my rides using it. I have not found anything that can do what it can for the money,( many find the program hard to learn, but if you take the time to learn it, It is fantastic) I can create rides using the Draw function and exporting them as GPX files, which I then can make the files into a transparent map for the Montana.

I have had many a nasty crash on my dirt bike and must say the Delorme has not been damaged yet, not too sure the Montana would have fared as well in the same situation.

The Montana is Expensive and no way as robust as the PN60 IMO.

For most Dual Sports rides the Montana is Great. The Large Display is fantastic, It is much better having a large map display when out exploring.

If Delorme ever makes a larger screen GPS I am sure I will be first in line, as I love their Topo Maps, Garmin TOPO SUCKS it make everything hard to see.

I use CN and my transparent map layers with great satisfaction.
Below is an example of the Delorme Screens using draw file instead of tracks, You can display more than one, turn them on or off just like tracks, but are much easier to see.

Below my Montana with my Dray layers

rwamf homepage

rwamf screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 06:44 PM
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,281
I felt that the Delorme's screen was too small until I wired a power outlet for it so that I can keep the screen illuminated full-time - now it's at least useable. What clinched it for me in spite of not being designed specifically for motorcycling was the interface to their inReach device which I consider an essential piece of gear for solo rides out of cell phone range. The PN-60W has a crude virtual keypad but it works OK.

I discovered, however, that I need a larger SD card so that I can load all of the map files at one time. 8 gig just doesn't cut it.

The mapping software, while cursed with a non-intuitive user interface, is extremely powerful. Once you figure it out planning your trip on the PC and downloading it to the GPS is pretty simple. Be advised, however, that Delorme's information about back roads, particularly the unpaved ones, is often inaccurate. Be prepared to cross-check data about these types of roads against whatever the state DOT has documented - and even then be prepared to be surprised.

LexLeroy screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 07:45 PM
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote