User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
Ninja_Girl OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Route from Laredo, TX to Monterrey mex 85D

We were thinking of riding from Laredo, TX to Monterrey on 85D....spending a night. See a touch of Mexico...and then head back to the US. We've never seen Mexico and it sounded like a fun trip.

Has anyone from the US taken bikes along this route (recently)? What are the risks? We know the basics, like cross in the morning at a less busy crossing, don't be out or ride at night, stay on toll roads when possible, watch out for "topes", etc..

We are hoping for specifics on this route and monterrey from recent experience, There are a few threads and discussions around the net but most are outdated (2007 down) and I know the situation there changes frequently.

Of much that I've read....people say...don't be flashy. I'm on a bright red BMW F650GS and my other half is on a Silver KTM 950 Adventure. I have red hair and we typically wear bright yellow jackets. Even if I dyed my hair and we ditched the jackets.....will we just stick out like a sore thumb and look like targets?

Also...how much of a risk are the road blocks......and are we likely to get pulled over by police who see us as moving ATM Machines?

Thanks - Any advice would be welcomed.
Ninja_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
NG you have the basics....
SchizzMan offered to send you some pictures of our trip over the 4th of July.....you can also see those pictures on an earlier posting on the IMS thread back 4 or 8 pages from your posting..
Don't worry about the red hair, the yellow jackets, the police, just go and have fun.....but I would suggest you go on past Monterry a few miles to Cola de Caballo and stay there at least for the night it is just a few miles south of Monterrey on the highway to Linars.......if you have time ride over the mountain to Saltillo, it will be a very pleasant ride that you will remember forever....all paved. Try this link
http://www.google.com/search?q=cola+...&client=safari
You will have a great time!
Remember to post some pictures!!!

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
m_p_w
Unfunempolyed

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Girl View Post
We were thinking of riding from Laredo, TX to Monterrey on 85D....spending a night. See a touch of Mexico...and then head back to the US. We've never seen Mexico and it sounded like a fun trip.

Has anyone from the US taken bikes along this route (recently)? What are the risks? We know the basics, like cross in the morning at a less busy crossing, don't be out or ride at night, stay on toll roads when possible, watch out for "topes", etc..

We are hoping for specifics on this route and monterrey from recent experience, There are a few threads and discussions around the net but most are outdated (2007 down) and I know the situation there changes frequently.

Of much that I've read....people say...don't be flashy. I'm on a bright red BMW F650GS and my other half is on a Silver KTM 950 Adventure. I have red hair and we typically wear bright yellow jackets. Even if I dyed my hair and we ditched the jackets.....will we just stick out like a sore thumb and look like targets?

Also...how much of a risk are the road blocks......and are we likely to get pulled over by police who see us as moving ATM Machines?

I rode north on 85D coming from Panama via Mexico City back in May. I was on an R1200GSA and had no problems on 85D (or any other road in Mexico or Central America, for that matter).

I really think you guys will be fine. I'll caution that 85D isn't the most attractive road between Laredo and Monterey, but you can dispense with it quickly enough, thanks to the utter lack of speed limit enforcement throughout Mexico.

It gets prettier south of Monterrey, but it's still a highway. I'm not too familiar with the surrounding area, but I'm sure other ADV folks will have ideas.

As far as the Mexican police are concerned, you need not be. Despite the bad press, I've never had an issue with a Mexican police officer (immigration officials at the MX-BZ border are another story), and my interactions with them have ranged from them giving no fucks to very friendly conversation. Even if you run into some less savory characters, my experience is that they have little interest in gringos or U.S. plated motos. That's not to say there aren't some bad cops in Mexico, but I think your chances of running into them, especially on 85D, are pretty slim.

I drove the same route south last month to Mexico City, the day after the Navy captured Treviño in Nuevo Laredo. This was in a car, but it was New York-plated, bright red and Italian (OK, it was a Fiat 500...). There was certainly an increased police presence to and beyond Monterrey, and some contacts who are not prone to exaggeration did suggest it would be unwise to drive at night, given very fresh tension in the region; as in May, it was a completely pleasant drive.

You'll have a blast, enjoy!

m_p_w screwed with this post 08-09-2013 at 12:06 PM Reason: spell check
m_p_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
Klutch
gringo goatrider

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Girl View Post

Doesn't sound like much fun. No risk of being considered a rolling ATM on the cuotas. Basically that's a boring ride or drive. Done it too many times on Goldwings, dualsports and cars.
There are plenty of ADV types riding the Mexican highways, both libre and cuota. Most are European, Canuks or locals. Americanos are scared!
I've only been bumped or attempted carjacked in Monclova twice and once somewhere in-between Monclova and Torrejon in the middle of nowhere. I evaded them twice with aggressive driving since they don't drive that great and played the stupid gringo tourist once and rode away when they flashed their guns.
You might as well check out the towns in the border zone since you don't need any paperwork from the aduana or banjercito. Most the border towns from Matamoros to Ojinaga to Juarez are pretty interesting in their own way and the locals will look out for you since it's obvious you're a tourist. Nuevo Progreso touts itself as the safest border crossing and my 70 year old mother likes it but the town itself doesn't offer much to a 40 something gringo like me. Nuevo Laredo is very nice along with Piedras Negras. I'd rather stay in the hostels there than in Laredo or Eagle Pass Texas which are both pretty nice towns.
Riding along near the Rio Grande is an interesting ride. Stay on the libres and travel in daylight hours so you can see the scenery. The coutas are boring and just for getting from point to point quickly not to mention expensive!
One special note, the roads around Sabinas Hidalgo are rough as crap in a car or truck. On a bike you can avoid them most of the time if you're an accomplished rider. I prefer not to ride the SE bypass around Sabinas Hidalgo from Mex 85 to Mex 2 until they repave the road.
Have fun and talk to the locals. They're great people in a tough economic climate.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote