Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #16
BSUCardinalfan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134

I turned Siri off, and actually broke out a paper map, figured out where we should be going (we had just missed it twice!) and got us to the lodge. Initial impression was only so so. We were in what seemed to be a pretty remote location, and we had pulled up to a house and an aluminum pole building. I was a little concerned about how this was going to be received by my wife!

It was about 5:05 pm. We pulled up next to the 'office' which appeared to be a house, and I went inside to check in. The owner (great people, it seems) gave me the rundown on the place, my key, showed me the free to borrow while you stay dvd collection, and then asked if we had eaten dinner yet.

Now, the website on the lodge makes a point that each cabin has a grill and grilling utensils, fire pit, wood, and plates and so on. And that there was a grocery in the nearby town of Hillsboro. My grand plan for tonight was to check in, ride into town while my wife showered and relaxed, pick up some steaks, potatoes, maybe some ears of corn, a few beverages, and then come back and cook a nice dinner. I basically told the owner this, and he let me know that 'it was tuesday' and 'they close the market to clean the floor at five on Tuesdays'. but, he was happy to inform me that there was a subway in town.

So this was a bit disappointing. And mostly because we had gotten lost a few times and that made us late!

Okay, I guess we'll eat at subway. We hopped on the bikes, and rode back down the little lane to the cabins. Again, first impression was only so-so. We rode past a pen full of goats, donkeys, and other small animals, and then saw our cabin.

there are six cabins in all. there WERE a large amount of spider webs and wasp/hornet nests around, and I was really worried when we opened the door. I should not have been. It was immaculate!

The screened in back porch had a couple chairs and a table, plus two folding camp chairs for the firepit!

The kitchenette has a fridge, sink, microwave, coffee maker, and complementary (for you to take with you) coffee mugs, popcorn, and two bananas.

King size bed and (difficult to see in the picture) Harley lamp.

I had big plans for the whirlpool tub but immediately upon suggesting it I got a response of "ew! Imagine how many hairy Harley people have done it in there!" so that was out....and didn't paint a very romantic picture in my mind anyway.

There was lots of moto-related art. I liked this one:

Overall, the place was AWESOME! Each cabin also has air conditioning and a stove to heat it. The grill was indeed there and so were the utensils. The dvd collection is pretty good, there is a gift shop, and the most important thing is that cars are not allowed. In fact the path to the cabins is not wide enough for a car! We dropped off our stuff and headed to Hillsboro to find subway and a couple carry out beers.

When we got there, (about 10 minutes) we didn't find subway, but we did find a new restaurant called the Hillsboro brewing company.

We went in and got a pizza. The place was really nice inside. the pizza was average, but it was better than subway! they also brew beer, and it was really good. I give it a good recommendation.

We finished off about half of the pizza, stopped at the town convenience store for a couple rolls for in the morning and some beer, and went back to the cabin for the night. We had a fire in the firepit, drank the beers, and watched a movie before turning in for the night.

BSUCardinalfan screwed with this post 08-07-2013 at 03:50 PM
BSUCardinalfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #17
BSUCardinalfan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wednesday, we got up and headed home. We took county roads H, D, and Nn south until we hit 60, then took 60 over to Spring Green. Again, the area and roads are great!

We got to Spring Green and stopped for breakfast at a little diner.

It wasn't the nicest place we've ever eaten, but the price was pretty good.

From there we went through Spring Green, checked out the Taliesin visitors center, and then hit the overlook by the house on the Rock.
That little sliver coming off of the hill is part of the house on the rock.

From there it was more county highways (T and Id) into Mount Horeb, where we stopped at a great little place for a piece of cake.

after that we hit the Mount Horeb Trollway (yes, that is right) and took a picture with one of the Trolls

Then more back roads and highways home. While we were on the way back I informed my wife that part of a motorcycle trip was taking care of the bikes after we got home.

She took it pretty well, did her chain maintenance and cleaned the bike, just in time to get them into the garage before a pretty good storm hit!

All in all this was an amazing trip. Thanks for following along!
Old 08-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #18
snooter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
doubtful that pic is wife approved..
snooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #19
BSUCardinalfan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooter View Post
doubtful that pic is wife approved..

she would complain more that her legs look "fat"...but honestly I didn't even notice the extensive cleavage....guess I'm used to it.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:15 AM   #20
NitroRoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Awesome. My wife is really eyeing one of those Repsol edition CBR250's. I think it would make a great bike for her. I hope to get her something before next summer - so we can go on a few little adventures of our own