ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #31
markdvk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
Hey Mark, think a buddy and I are gonna try to make this. Any tracks put together yet?
The tracks/route are pretty much complete. I'm going to drive the street version before we post it. I like to do that from beginning to end to proof it before posting. Sometimes surprises can occur.

Yes, driving. Not riding. I have a tail bone nerve issue that I've been nursing for awhile and the bike aggravates it more than the truck. Miss my Vstrom.
markdvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #32
CatBus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
I recognize quite a bit of that. It looks like it should be a good ride. Hopefully I will be able to make it out.

I spent quite a bit of time in 2004 mapping out everything in the greater Lexington area. I have organized a couple dozen mixed terrain and paved rides through the kyadvriders site and here, since then. The last one was last year.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803526
CatBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #33
markdvk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBus View Post
I recognize quite a bit of that. It looks like it should be a good ride. Hopefully I will be able to make it out.

I spent quite a bit of time in 2004 mapping out everything in the greater Lexington area. I have organized a couple dozen mixed terrain and paved rides through the kyadvriders site and here, since then. The last one was last year.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803526
Catbus, I recognize some of your photos too. It looks like you covered more off road areas than we will. In one of your photos, there's a blue helmet and bag lying in the middle of a dry rocky creek. That looks like the creek on the trail between Carver's ferry and Whitlock. Two of us tried to go through there last week (at night) and we finally ran into a posted and locked gate. Apparently the county has stopped maintaining that section and it's reverted back to the land owner. That would have been a good section.

Like you mentioned in your thread, if you're going to ride the off road sections, something larger than a KLR might be tough. Ground clearance would be the most likely limit coming out of the creek onto Dry Branch. And the possibility of dropping the bike in one of the water crossings is very real. The GS and Super Tenere's can be expensive to drop.

I've not seen any places along out route that a reasonable dual sport tire wouldn't work. Knobbies would be better in a few short spots but probably not a requirement. The old style KLR I was on had the stock tires.

Rain? Let's hope there's not any within the week before the ride. We are probably crossing some of the same places you did. Of the two crossings we saw last week, 1 was at foot peg depth on a KLR and had a little current. There was some traction but we were very gentle on the controls so nobody got their elbows wet.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #34
CatBus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Carver's Ferry Rd has been gated since about 2007. For a while it was gated at both ends, but only the Whitlock end has been gated since about 2009. A local kid told me it was a bad idea to be in that area at all (he said some people were up to illegal things, and that is why the gate was put up). I really don't like leading mixed terrain rides in the area anymore, because I am afraid someone will go back alone, take a wrong turn/go exploring, and end up in a bad position (which could have happened here, and your partner may even be someone who rode with me before). It used to be one of the coolest stretches of gravel in the area :/

You can pick it up at the Whitlock end, and follow it down Silver Creek. You used to be able to run the entire length of Silver Creek, but within the past few years, it has been shut down in places.

If you link the picture with the blue helmet, I can probably tell you where it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdvk View Post
Catbus, I recognize some of your photos too. It looks like you covered more off road areas than we will. In one of your photos, there's a blue helmet and bag lying in the middle of a dry rocky creek. That looks like the creek on the trail between Carver's ferry and Whitlock. Two of us tried to go through there last week (at night) and we finally ran into a posted and locked gate. Apparently the county has stopped maintaining that section and it's reverted back to the land owner. That would have been a good section.

Like you mentioned in your thread, if you're going to ride the off road sections, something larger than a KLR might be tough. Ground clearance would be the most likely limit coming out of the creek onto Dry Branch. And the possibility of dropping the bike in one of the water crossings is very real. The GS and Super Tenere's can be expensive to drop.

I've not seen any places along out route that a reasonable dual sport tire wouldn't work. Knobbies would be better in a few short spots but probably not a requirement. The old style KLR I was on had the stock tires.

Rain? Let's hope there's not any within the week before the ride. We are probably crossing some of the same places you did. Of the two crossings we saw last week, 1 was at foot peg depth on a KLR and had a little current. There was some traction but we were very gentle on the controls so nobody got their elbows wet.

CatBus screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 07:42 AM
CatBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #35
markdvk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Street Route final preview

Here's another selection of photos from the full street route.

One of the first skinny roads. If you meet one of those Harley "something" glides in full dress, one of you is going to have to pull off the road to let the other one pass.

Evidence of heavy traffic on Back Creek Rd.

Well, it's the only way to cross the river in that area. And if it was good for the first Icebreaker, it's ok on this route too.

Don't worry too much if your bike leaks a little coolant. About 80% of this route has running water parallel to the pavement.

Old Railroad Rd.

If you have Inga locked up, let her go.

My guess is that this might have been a CCC project back in the day.

The mill...

and the boiler at the mill.

The real estate in most of Woodford county is just a little more expensive.

Scenery recognized by the local riders.

Headed back to the start. About 16 miles to go.

Because of the really low speeds that will be required on many of the roads in the route, I'll likely have an alternate abbreviated route that covers the best features but cuts off 40-60 miles. Less experienced riders would likely require nearly 7 hours to complete the full route. I covered it today in about 5:20 (in a truck unfortunately) with stops for photos and 1 for fuel. The truck said 176 miles total.

markdvk screwed with this post 09-22-2013 at 12:11 PM
Old 09-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #36
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,811
Looks fantastic!
Old 09-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #37
KTMmer950
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Mark sorry to hear about you not being able to ride. I hope it doesn't take long to get you back in the saddle. So what is your count on the number of riders this year? I know there are several of us from Indiana coming down. I look forward to your rides every year.
KTMmer950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #38
markdvk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Number of riders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMmer950 View Post
Mark sorry to hear about you not being able to ride. I hope it doesn't take long to get you back in the saddle. So what is your count on the number of riders this year? I know there are several of us from Indiana coming down. I look forward to your rides every year.

I don't have a good count. But I'm expecting around 40-50 based on our last ride. There may be more of our local riders than in the past rides because there's a version of the route without gravel roads.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #39
RoadDad
n13ub

Oddometer: 416
Pioneer

Mark--This looks too good to pass up. I plan on riding down Friday afternoon. Is there a place to camp near town or a motel? Camping depends on the weather outlook.
RoadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #40
markdvk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDad View Post
Mark--This looks too good to pass up. I plan on riding down Friday afternoon. Is there a place to camp near town or a motel? Camping depends on the weather outlook.
Camping Option #1: Cummins Ferry Campground is about 20 minutes North.
Expect a gravel road leading off of the pavement down to the camp ground.
http://cumminsferry.com/

Camping Option #2: Free stealth camping in a corner of a 5 acre hay field we own behind our shop. It's well hidden from public view but there's no facilities of any kind. Probably not too quite either until late at night because one of the nearby streets gets driven by young cruising car drivers who occasionally come by "on the gas".

There are several reasonable hotels in Harrodsburg and Danville too.

Glad you're coming to ride.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #41
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,648
Count me in!
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #42
markdvk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

GPS data has been posted.

GPS data for this ride has been posted at
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post22439304

If you download the data, please note the difference between street / dirt and whether you want track data or route data.

I also have a favor to ask. If you download the data, would you tell me which GPS receiver you will be using. I've made concessions for older units that have a limit on track points. But if nobody is using one of those, it would be easier for myself and users if I don't have to do that.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #43
markdvk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Got a SPOT or GoPro?

Another favor to ask. If any of you have a SPOT transceiver that we could track during the ride, I'd like the link for it.

And if any of you run a GoPro, I'd really love some video from the ride. But if you do, don't bother turning it on until you reach Lancaster. If you want to turn it on and forget it, wait until you're about to board the ferry.

And of course I want PHOTOS! Many thanks to those who provided some from last spring. I may be able to take some myself but I'm not sure at this point.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #44
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdvk View Post
GPS data for this ride has been posted at
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post22439304

If you download the data, please note the difference between street / dirt and whether you want track data or route data.

I also have a favor to ask. If you download the data, would you tell me which GPS receiver you will be using. I've made concessions for older units that have a limit on track points. But if nobody is using one of those, it would be easier for myself and users if I don't have to do that.
Mark I have downloaded the files. I've got a Garmin 2720 and it will do tracks or routes. I prefer tracks because they never change. When I get a chance I'll take a look at the files and upload them to the unit.

Also I will have a spot device up and running. When I get it set up I'll post back here.

Thanks for setting all this up.

John
Old 09-30-2013, 07:05 AM   #45
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,811
Hey Mark I just downloaded and installed the tracks to my trusty old Garmin ETrex Vista HCX and they are PERFECT because you evidently filtered the points to less than 500 like my unit likes! Thanks! Awesome job man, can't wait.

Unfortunately, I think the weather gods are gonna screw with us this Saturday as they are calling for a pretty good shot of rain. I know that we can't go trusting these weather folks but will this event RAIN OUT???

Of course if Sunday is nice...???