Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
Dirt Road Cowboy OP
Treasure Hunter

Oddometer: 389
Chinese, Japanese, Dirty Knees, Look at Theese...

Chinese:

Japanese:

Dirty Knees:

Look at These:

What? You were expecting Sheri Moon Zombie?

OK, I don't want to disappoint anyone:

Now, back to bike building.

This is the build report for my Lifan 140/CT200 Frankenbike!

Her name is Linda. ( LIfan + hoNDA = LINDA )

If you don't like small bikes, or the jackassery that people do with them, or if you're a purist, then you won't have any fun here, so just go away.

So, if you're still here, and interested in the build, I'll go on with the story.

I started buying parts for her over a year ago, as I could afford to. I'm forced to be a cheap bastage right now, so I needed to build, instead of buying a bike. I really did want to just buy one because it would have been easier, and I could have started riding sooner, but there's no way that I was going to pay the prices that people were asking for junk on CL around here!

They're asking almost the same price for an old 80's or 90's bike, no title, needs work, easy fix, was running good when parked 7 years ago, etc., as the dealer is selling the new bikes for.

So, I just decided to build one.

This may not be as fun as one of RTW Doug's builds, but I'll try to keep you entertained as I go along. Maybe someone else out there is like me, and will be inspired to build their own bike too.

The frame is a 1966 CT-200, which is a Trail 90. They didn't come with a 200cc engine, but they called them a 200? Confusing? Yeah, me too. That's probably why they finally started calling them CT-90s after a few years.
I picked the frame up for around $40.

The engine is a 140cc Chinese Lifan that I picked up last year for around $249 on bay. They have gone up a bit since then. Maybe it's just a summer thing? Anyway, they are still cheaper than a real Honda engine, and they're bigger with more power.

The other parts are from different years, makes and models of bikes. Just various parts that I have been scrounging up along the way.

The rear wheel is a 17" from a CT-90 or CT-110, and I'm going to put that double sprocket on it to give me a good gear range. The inner sprocket is 40 tooth, the outer is 68! That should be fun for off-road!

This is my rear drive,
It's got more than one.
One is for streetin',
One is for fun!

The front wheel is a 19" from something else. I forgot what, but I got the brake drum and axle with it, so I'll make it work!

They will both be wearing some new Shinko Trials tires.

I'm starting to work on cleaning up parts, and getting them ready for assembly, so I'll take pics as I go. Then, I'll be able to see what else I will need to get from Dr. ATV, or whoever else carries the parts to put these things together.

The weather has really sucked around here lately, with temps over 100º, and humidity over 70%, and I haven't really felt like working in it much, but I'll try to keep plugging away at her.
Even the mosquitoes are lazy. The other day, when I was out there, a couple of them called me over. In their Cheech and Chong voices, they were saying, "Hey man, if you're gonna be dooin' some chit out here, and you cut yourself, do us a favor an' come over here to drip the blood. We'll just lay here an' catch it, OK, dude?"
And the other one said, "Yeah, man, and while you're at it, put some ice in it, man."

Or maybe the heat was getting to me?

(Sorry for the typo in the title!)
66 CT200/Lifan 140 (Trail 90) Build Report
XR100 engine and misc. parts, waiting for the Mad Scientist treatment!

Dirt Road Cowboy screwed with this post 08-06-2013 at 03:16 PM Reason: To continue the jackassery!
Dirt Road Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
hmmwv15
young grasshopper

Oddometer: 157
Really interested to see how that Lifan works. I'm in the process of rebuilding a thrashed 1978 Z50 and I can imagine how much more fun I'd have with an engine twice the size in it. But I do want the Honda back in it to keep it original. What can I say....

In your case, Lifan all the way! That things gonna be fun.
hmmwv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:06 AM   #3
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Someone here in the UK has built a serious twin-shock trials bike using a Chinese Super Cub copy motor, and is currently leading his class in one of the 2 main twin-shock championship series on it. Only had a short ride on it, but it seems to me to be much more effective than most twin-shock bikes around currently.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #4
Kennon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
I've seen the smaller speedway bikes using pitbike motors should be a good build, subscribed

2009 Yamaha Jog 50RR LC sold 2011
2011 Rieju Marathon Pro 125 SM sold 2013
1990 Honda VFR 400 NC30 purchased 2013
Kennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 6,015
As owner of the LifanHaha, I approve of this thread..

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
Dirt Road Cowboy OP
Treasure Hunter

I forgot to mention in the first post that this is my first time building a motorcycle of any kind. I have worked on them before, but never built one.

I have built muscle cars from junkyard dogs, so I figured that I could take the same approach to building a bike.

The first thing for me to do, was figure out what to build. It had to be something that was not completely obsolete, because I wanted to be able to find used parts that could be refurbished/recycled, and that there was a good amount of aftermarket support.

I did not want to have every little piece custom fabricated. That kind of work, and cost, is way out of my league!

I also knew that I wanted something small and light. Little trips to the store, and buzzing around locally, weren't much fun on the GL1000. I'll save that for 2-up trips and touring.
A scooter seemed like it might be fun, but I didn't like the seating position. I had also thought of something like my old Honda CT70 that I had when I was a kid. That bike was a blast, and it was also the only reliable Honda that I ever had! Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for me?), I decided that it was underpowered for what I wanted to use it for, plus, it would probably draw too much unwanted police attention around here.

Then I came across the ride report that Nathan did about his trip with Dot, his postie bike. That seemed like a perfect small-bike solution since there is still a strong aftermarket following, and lots of used parts around. So, I did a bit of research, and found what I thought was the best combination of small bike, plus useable power.

So, that's where it started. Thanks for following along!

Old 08-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,149
Very cool - can't wait to see how she turns out!

Nice score on the motor - it looks pristine. Good luck!
Krasniewski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
C.John
to DOO or not to DOO

Oddometer: 86
Should be a fun build. Subscribed...
Old 08-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
Dirt Road Cowboy OP
Treasure Hunter

So, back to the build…

A lot of boring stuff is involved in doing one of these builds!

Cleaning the frame. No pics because I really didn't think it was picture worthy, plus it was muddy and nasty and I didn't want to mess up the camera.

But, just in case you need to know the process involved:

Water.

Soap.

Scrub.

Repeat until clean.

Sand the frame. Again, not worth taking pictures.

Rough sand with 220 grit sandpaper.

Wet sand with 220 grit.

Sand with 400 grit.

Wet sand with 400 grit.

Rattle can grey primer. Again, not picture worthy.

Sand with 220 grit sandpaper.

Prime again.

Sand with 400 grit.

Now, time for the real paint!

Woo-Hoo! Finally!

The color theme will be red, black and white. That is my personal favorite color scheme, plus it will hopefully stand out in traffic and keep my from being an unseen speed bump!

Remember, this whole build will be cheap (like me), so not professional paint jobs, or powder coating here!

We're looking at Rustoleum Gloss Apple Red!

For a rattle-can paint job, it's actually looking really good!

Seeing her starting to look pretty will help keep me motivated to get this build done!
(Then, I can start on one of the others!)

Old 08-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
WECSOG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Neat Cougar.
Like you, I am building a Trail 90. Mine is a '76 CT90. I bought just the frame and triple tree, added forks, bar, controls and front wheel assembly from a junkyard XR100, bought a '71 CT90 engine with no compression, did a top-end rebuild, and now have the bike running and almost ready to ride.
Needless to say, I'm subscribed!
WECSOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #11
Dirt Road Cowboy OP
Treasure Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WECSOG View Post
Neat Cougar.
Thanks. That's my daily driver.
I bought it in 2006 (during the big muscle car fad when most any old car was overpriced) from a guy in Arizona from an ad online. All I had to go by was a few photos, and his word on it.

It was rusted out, and in pretty bad shape, but I knew that I could get it looking good again, and that there were aftermarket places that had restoration parts, so I paid $2500 for it.

My brother lives fairly close to where the car was, so I had him pick it up for me, then I flew out so that we could get it ready to bring to Texas.

The upholstery was shot, there were big holes in the floorboards, no headliner, and the manual steering gearbox had almost 180º of slop in it.

We only had a week because of my schedule, so it was a rush to get it somewhat road ready. At the end of the week, I drove it 1300 miles to Texas.
Considering that the trip was the only road test I did on it, the few minor problems I had on the way weren't really all that bad. I had a small set of tools, so I could fix anything other than a major breakdown.
It did get a bit hot driving in August with no A/C, and no insulation to keep the engine heat out!

The car gets a lot of attention since it's the only one like it here.
I'm always having people stop and talk about it, telling me about the one they, or someone they knew had in high school or college.

One gal even told me about losing her virginity in one!

The fact that it is easy to work on, and get parts for, is the reason it's my daily driver. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country, or anywhere.

Those are the same reasons I chose to go with the CT for this build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WECSOG View Post
Like you, I am building a Trail 90. Mine is a '76 CT90. I bought just the frame and triple tree, added forks, bar, controls and front wheel assembly from a junkyard XR100, bought a '71 CT90 engine with no compression, did a top-end rebuild, and now have the bike running and almost ready to ride.
Needless to say, I'm subscribed!
I'm glad you got yours running. I think they're starting to get more popular these days. I have noticed more people buying CT90's, instead of bigger bikes. Either they like them for the pack mules they are, or they bring back memories.

Glad to have you along!

Old 08-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #12
theraymondguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I'm in the process of building a CA200 engine for a Rat SL70, and have just finished poking and stroking an ATC70 to 108, then cramming it into my CT70. Subscribed.
theraymondguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:23 AM   #13
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Road Cowboy View Post
Thanks. That's my daily driver.
It did get a bit hot driving in August with no A/C, and no insulation to keep the engine heat out!

I had a daily like that many years ago.
1967 360 V8 Valiant.
I was "between" interiors, and my daughter to this day still swears she melted the soles of her shoes on the bare steel floor.......the one directly above the collectors.
This was over 10 years, you'd think she would have let it go by now hey?

Cool build, sounds great.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
WECSOG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by MODNROD View Post
I had a daily like that many years ago.
1967 360 V8 Valiant.
I was "between" interiors, and my daughter to this day still swears she melted the soles of her shoes on the bare steel floor.......the one directly above the collectors.
This was over 10 years, you'd think she would have let it go by now hey?

Cool build, sounds great.
That sounds like my '69 Firebird, too. Gutted interior, 350 (real Pontiac 350; not what most people think of when they hear 350) that I put a 4 bbl, headers and the shortest, largest core glasspacks I could find, and TH400 trans with a shift kit. I had a 455 I was planning to build up and drop in it, but the 350 ran so well that I never got around to it. Wish I still had it.
WECSOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #15
Dirt Road Cowboy OP
Treasure Hunter

Well, not a whole lot of progress to report. Between work and other projects, I've been a little busy, but I'm trying to do something to her as often as I can. Even the small things add up!

I am trying to get her somewhat together to at least be able to roll around, and look more like a real motorcycle, rather than a pile of parts. I hope to have her ready for some fall riding.

I got to looking at the triple tree, and I decided that I'd never be able to use this lock, so it had to go:

Time to make sparks! (Sorry, no pictures of the sparks.)

A few seconds later, the lock is off:

Next, a little cleaning to prep for paint.

You know the drill:

Soap

Water

Scrub brush

Repeat until finished.

A quick sanding, a little primer, then some rattle-can gloss black paint.

Triple tree painted:

I'm still not positive what the tree originally was on. I'm pretty sure it was a Honda 125, or 175. It works well with the CT head and ball bearings though.

I got a little impatient, as usual, so I test fitted the engine and frame just to see how they'd look together.

Test fitting engine and frame:

I think they go together nicely!

There is a little problem. I think the crankcase vent on the back of the engine is hitting the frame, and the lower bolt won't quite line up.
A couple of whacks with a BFH should take care of it!

I also ordered some parts for the ignition last night. I really want to get her going!