ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #1
CannonsvilleRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Dirty Octopus of Delaware Cty - Catskills

My screen name, Cannonsville Rider, was chosen for my favorite roads around the Cannonsville Reservoir. In the early evening on a weeknight ride, it's almost as if I am on my personal private road in my personal private park. It is not uncommon to ride twenty miles without sighting a single car. It hasn't always been that way. In 1960, the valley was populated by hundreds of people in 5 small towns that no longer exist.

http://nyslandmarks.com/treasures/13jul.htm

Acquisition of land by New York City is ongoing, which has greatly slowed the development of the county, creating a unique scenario for dual sport motorcycling. Delaware Count has the lowest population density of any county outside of the Adirondacks, but it still has much of the road network it had in 1940 when most of the land was farmed.

I have explored several dual sport friendly routes that would have ended in one of the lost towns. Since the destinations are under water, the endpoint will be the Rainbow Lodge on Carcass Brook. Because there were eight of (ten now) them, and I don't have a better name, I am calling the collection of tracks the Dirty Octopus of Delaware County, even though some of the tentacles extend far outside of the county.
  1. Afton to Rock Royal
  2. Fleischmanns to Rock Rift
  3. Halstead to Cannonsville
  4. Ithaca to Beerston
  5. Lenox to Cannonsville
  6. Middleburg to Beerston
  7. Oneonta to Beerston
  8. Port Jervis to Granton
  9. Cobleskill to Beerston
  10. Lexington to Beerston
  11. Lenox to Hale Eddy (map not updated due to new picture size restrictions)

All of my tracks are now color coded and packed into a MapViewer at this URL

http://108.161.133.196/CatskillRides.jar

You will need Java, the viewer is a signed jar file that is executable. It supports zoom via the slider or a mouse scroll wheel, dragging with a mouse, and selection of tracks via buttons on the bottom pane.
Attached Images

CannonsvilleRider screwed with this post 07-09-2014 at 03:43 PM Reason: Added link to Map viewer
CannonsvilleRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
CannonsvilleRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Afton to Rock Royal

The Afton to Rock Royal approach is a dirty approach from the west on I88. It has about 12 miles of good forest dirt roads, connecting the Chenango State Forest truck trail, Beals Pond Road, Zion Hill Road, Steam Mill Road and Barbour Brook Road, then finishes with a scenic section winding around the Cannonsville reservoir. I have posted these before as part of the AntiTurnpike. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=891593
Attached Images

CannonsvilleRider screwed with this post 11-30-2013 at 09:02 AM
Old 08-05-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
CannonsvilleRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Afton to Rock Royal GPX track

Afton to Rock Royal
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Afton_RockRoyal.gpx (275.1 KB, 60 views)
Old 08-05-2013, 06:12 AM   #4
CannonsvilleRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Fleischmanns to Rock Rift

The approach from the east, starting at Fleischmanns is probably my favorite, you may have seen it before as part of other routes I and others have posted. We start with a steep ascent up Fleischmann Heights Road, with a dirt section at the top of Todd Mountain road. From there, we descend on CR 49A to ascend again on Dry Brook Road, continuing up Mill Brook Road to an elevation of 2620 ft. I haven't been everywhere in the state, but the only two paved roads in NY that I know of that are higher are the toll road up WhiteFace Mountain and CR 47 over Slide Mountain near Big Indian. The route descends almost to the Pepacton reservoir, then veers off on Jim Alton road for a bit of seasonal dirt. Next is is probably the best triple dirt sequence around, Cross Mountain Road, Shin Creek and Mary Smith Road. We return to the Pepacton reservoir for some sweepers on Rt 30, then up Cat Hollow to pickup some dirt sections on Campbell Brook Rd, Morton Hill Road and Horse Brook Road which descends into the Beaverkill valley alongside a world class trout stream. At Horton, the route ascends once again to pickup the twisties of Fuller Hill, then we go down the back side of the river at Shinhopple on the DEC Forest road on on the old railroad bed to Eastbranch. Finally the route ascends one last time on Readburn road, with a detour on Rock Rift mountain road to get a very seasonal dirt section.
Attached Images

CannonsvilleRider screwed with this post 11-15-2013 at 09:18 PM
Old 08-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #5
CannonsvilleRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Fleischmanns to Rock Rift gpx track

Fleischmanns to Rock Rift
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Fleischmanns_RockRift.gpx (711.0 KB, 67 views)
Old 08-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
CannonsvilleRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hallstead to Cannonsville

The approach from the west is challenging because the city of Binghamton and it's bedroom communities are in the way. Any attempt to stick to backroads is frustrated by the need to rejoin paved highways to cross the Susquehanna River, I86 or I88 and the fact that many of the interesting roads in the area run North and South. As a workaround, we will start a bit to the South on I81 in Hallstead, PA. From Hallstead, we head east on the back river road, which include a nice dirt segment. In Lanesboro, we pick up an old dirt road, Quarry road to go over the hill to Gulf Summit, just past McClure we pickup another dirt hill road, Tarbell Hill, then finish around the scenic Cannonsville Reservoir.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
CannonsvilleRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hallstead to Cannonsville GPX track

Hallstead to Cannonsville GPX track
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Halstead_Cannsonsville.gpx (341.1 KB, 44 views)
Old 08-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #8
CannonsvilleRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ithaca to Beerston

The Ithaca to Beerston is a new route for me, it starts at Stewart Park, winds through the Cornell campus following the Fall Creek Gorge, then climbs Mount Pleasant to pick up dirt sections on Hammond Hill State Forest and Robinson Hollow State Forest. It parallels the North Country hiking trail to cross under I81 on Russel Road. It picks up more dirt roads in Chenango county, then crosses the Unadilla River, climbs up Prentice Gorge Road to drop back down into the Susquehanna Valley to cross the Susquehanna River and I88. Once in Delaware county it picks up the almost abandoned Sanly road, concludes the dirt section with Bowers Road, and Beebe Road to descend into Walton via the Seeley Wood road. Seeley Wood is included for the picturesque way the road falls away into the hollow between two historic barns. Once into Walton, the route continues down the back side of the river to where Beerston used to be.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2013, 06:23 AM   #9
CannonsvilleRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ithaca to Beerston GPX Track

Ithaca to Beerston GPX Track
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Ithaca_Beerston.gpx (1.10 MB, 53 views)
Old 08-05-2013, 06:25 AM   #10
CannonsvilleRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Lenox to Cannonsville

The approach from the Southwest is relatively new. I find routing in Pa a bit frustrating, there are some great roads there, but I have always found it hard to link the good ones together. The goal of this route was to go start somewhere on I81 and to find some halfway decent roads to end up through the excellent state game land section on Big Valley Road. It turns out that there are a surprising number of dirt roads between Starrucca and Lenox.
Attached Images

CannonsvilleRider screwed with this post 08-05-2013 at 12:20 PM Reason: type fix
Old 08-05-2013, 06:25 AM   #11
CannonsvilleRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Lenox to Cannonsville GPX Track

Lenox to Cannonsville GPX Track
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Lenox_Cannonsville.gpx (429.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 08-05-2013, 06:27 AM   #12
CannonsvilleRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Middleburg to Beerston

For the northern approach, we start with start from Middleburg, with some easy miles on one the region's favorite street bike roads, Rt 30. The next segment starting at North Blenheim is optional, Dave Brown Mountain Road is an old road with signage stating that it is abandoned, hazardous, may result in vehicle damage and to travel at your own risk. I personally would not do it if I was tired, my bike was loaded heavily or not running well. I would also not do it at night or after a significant rain event as the top of the road has a section that been involved in a landslide and probably will again. At Broome Center we pickup Leonard Mountain Road, and Shale Pit Road, then have some paved connectors to get to BlueBird Road and the Old CCR over South Mountain. From there it's a twisty section of County Rt 10 down to Prattsville, then some easy miles on State Rt 28 to Grand Gorge. From there, we head south on Rt 30, leaving the valley at Dugan Hill Road to pickup HardScrabble and the scenic section of Borroughs Memorial Road. Next we drop back down part way to the valley to pickup New Kingston Mountain Road. From New Kingston, we head west on CR 6, detour for dirt at Coulter Brook to Bovina Center, follow Miller Ave and Huff Road for more dirt, then join SR 28 so we climb Federal Hill for the nearly abandoned section that leads us into Delhi. In Delhi, we take Bell Hill Road, which is paved, sort of, and return to the valley to follow State Rt 10 until we get back to some dirt at Hamden Hill. After Hamden Hill, we start our last dirt section, but it is a good section, consisting Cross Cobbe Road, Gray Road, Ridge Road and Snake Hill Road. Next is a scenic section descending Dunk Hill Road, Upper East Brook Road to Walton. We finish down the back side of the river to Beerston.

Revised 9/2/2013 to include Bates State Forest Road
Revised 12/1/2013 to included Huntersfield Mt and Johnson Hollow, messed up map as file size limit has changed.
Attached Images

CannonsvilleRider screwed with this post 12-01-2013 at 09:10 AM Reason: tried to fix map, file size limit has been changed,
Old 08-05-2013, 06:27 AM   #13
CannonsvilleRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Middleburg to Beerston GPX Track

Middleburg to Beerston GPX Track

Revised 9/2/2013 to include Bate State Forest
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Middleburg_Beerston.gpx (1.06 MB, 33 views)

CannonsvilleRider screwed with this post 09-02-2013 at 10:27 AM
Old 08-05-2013, 06:29 AM   #14
CannonsvilleRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oneonta to Beerston

The usual way to enter the southern Catskills from the east on I88 is to exit in Oneonta, then take state routes 28 and 357 to Franklin, then follow County Rt 21 to Walton. These aren't bad motorcycle roads, at least they wouldn't be if it wasn't for the traffic. Oneonta is the major educational, employment, commercial and medical center for most of Delaware County and these roads have heavy traffic with few passing opportunites. Add in some slower truck or bus traffic and some drivers taking risks to meet a deadline with a boss, a professor or a Doctor and you have a recipe for disaster. The Oneonta to Beerston route is a dirty alternative to SR28, SR357 and CR21. The dirty jewel is Sanly road, so this route shares it's ending with the Ithaca to Beerston route.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2013, 06:31 AM   #15
CannonsvilleRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oneonta to Beerston GPX Track

Oneonta to Beerston GPX Track
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Oneonta_Beerston.gpx (339.5 KB, 52 views)

CannonsvilleRider screwed with this post 08-05-2013 at 06:32 AM Reason: trouble with gpx