Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
HOFNAR OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Now I know why cars hate lane splitters..

Anyone commuting into San Francisco this morning probably got caught up in the spectacle that was the tractor trailer on fire on the Bay Bridge. As you can imagine traffic was worse than the already normal Monday morning commute. Fortunately, I was on my bike and got spared the brunt of this mess. As I'm splitting lanes on the bridge where the cars are at a virtual stand still and bumper to bumper, another cyclist behind me starts revving his motor VERY LOUD. He's obviously got after market pipes by the sound of his exhaust. I realize I'm going too slow for him and he wants me to move over for him, but because the cars are stopped and bumper to bumper, there's nowhere for me to stop. The entire time I'm waiting for a spot to open up between cars he's hitting his throttle. I finally find a spot and I can move over. As he speeds by, he's nailing his throttle as he moves along the lanes of stopped traffic, and I mean nailing it, like redline nailing it. I know if I was in one of those cars stuck in that traffic on a Monday morning and a guy goes by on a bike making all that noise, I would be pissed and want to "close the gap" on the next bike I saw coming.
Ok, rant over. Whew!
HOFNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
took you THIS LONG in life to figure out one single reason?

I can name a bunch.

but it doesn't over ride the fact that many many years BEFORE ever riding a street bike that it's benefits out weighs the negatives.
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:19 AM   #3
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,740
Your post makes no sense. Would cagers rather than just have the bike sit next to them in traffic for hours instead.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:06 AM   #4
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,248
In Michigan the cagers would be whipping their doors open to stand on the floorboards of their SUVs to get" a better look at what the hold-up is" That guy (or you) would be the next "hold-up" for other motorists. If you travel outside of CA remember this.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:17 AM   #5
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
Your post makes no sense. Would cagers rather than just have the bike sit next to them in traffic for hours instead.
You are flip flopping between extremes. The bike NEITHER has to sit next to them for hours NOR fly by with earsplitting pipes at 125 kph. Howsabout like OP was doing, quietly ride along at an easy speed.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,389
The goal being that the people in cars think "damn, I wish I was on a bike" more and "another asshole on a motorcycle" less.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
HOFNAR OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
You are flip flopping between extremes. The bike NEITHER has to sit next to them for hours NOR fly by with earsplitting pipes at 125 kph. Howsabout like OP was doing, quietly ride along at an easy speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C/1/509 View Post
The goal being that the people in cars think "damn, I wish I was on a bike" more and "another asshole on a motorcycle" less.
These.
HOFNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 64,910
I watched a guy on a Ducati start playing his pipes when a van changed lanes about 15 seconds before he got there. By the time he arrived, the van was already completely in the other lane, but the guy on the bike had to wind the Duc and give them an evil glare.

What a douche.

101NB in Marin, last week.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
Yes, because that guy on the bike is getting ahead of the rest of us...

We're 'merkins and should all be equal- by force if necessary. See also "Harrison Bergeron".
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
I also rode the bridge on Monday, about noon. Holy shit, what a mess. It took me about 45 minutes to get through it all - 10 miles. I never got passed by another bike, but I rarely went over 15 or 20.

People were so fried and zoned out that they were asleep at the wheel. Many people had one wheel on the white line, but refused to move back the the center when I was trying to split through.

Almost every guy in a truck with a lumber rack, or some kind of construction equipment did their best to make room. Asian women in BMWs, not so much.

And it reeked of weed the entire time.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #11
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandStrom View Post
And it reeked of weed the entire time.
sounds like a typical Cali traffic jam to me

RIDE RED!
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
tapdiggy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
... Asian women in BMWs, not so much. ...
And by women, you mean the one Asian woman you happen to notice behind the wheel of a BMW, and only because you liked the car and were looking at it longer than myriad vehicles around you.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #13
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdiggy View Post
And by women, you mean the one Asian woman you happen to notice behind the wheel of a BMW, and only because you liked the car and were looking at it longer than myriad vehicles around you.
No.

The Bay Bridge is 5 lanes wide, and 10 miles long. Traffic wasn't moving more than 5 mph, while I was going usually 10 to 15.

I passed many thousands of cars. Probably 5,000.
There's a shit-ton of BMWs in the Bay Area, and a shit-ton of Asian women. There were enough Asian women in BMWs for me to notice (just like guys in construction trucks). I'm observant when I ride. When some dick bag blocks my way, and I sit behind them trying to get by, I notice them.

The reason I noticed so many Asian women in BMWs blocking my way, is because there were enough of them that I noticed a trend.

Were there white guys in Camrys who didn't let me through? Black guys in Acuras? Mexican women in mini vans? Sure. Were there enough that I saw a trend? No.

3 things stuck out to me - working guys in trucks, Asian women in BMWs and it smelled like weed.

Next time you ride past 5,000 cars at 10 mph, let me know the demographics.

If cars were 20' long (including space between them) there were over 2,600 cars per lane (or 13,200) cars on the bridge. I passed them all, except for some who got off the bridge before I passed them.

If you didn't ride it, it's probably difficult to understand the scale of it.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #14
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,904
Guys who rev their engines like that are like babies crying to get their mothers attention except you can't just cram a pacifier in their mouth to shut them up.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #15
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
No.

The Bay Bridge is 5 lanes wide, and 10 miles long. Traffic wasn't moving more than 5 mph, while I was going usually 10 to 15.

I passed many thousands of cars. Probably 5,000.
There's a shit-ton of BMWs in the Bay Area, and a shit-ton of Asian women. There were enough Asian women in BMWs for me to notice (just like guys in construction trucks). I'm observant when I ride. When some dick bag blocks my way, and I sit behind them trying to get by, I notice them.

The reason I noticed so many Asian women in BMWs blocking my way, is because there were enough of them that I noticed a trend.

Were there white guys in Camrys who didn't let me through? Black guys in Acuras? Mexican women in mini vans? Sure. Were there enough that I saw a trend? No.

3 things stuck out to me - working guys in trucks, Asian women in BMWs and it smelled like weed.

Next time you ride past 5,000 cars at 10 mph, let me know the demographics.

If cars were 20' long (including space between them) there were over 2,600 cars per lane (or 13,200) cars on the bridge. I passed them all, except for some who got off the bridge before I passed them.

If you didn't ride it, it's probably difficult to understand the scale of it.

feel you on that. bay area commuter traffic... sucks. vehicle accident.... sucks more. on the bay bridge.... nice. perfect storm type deal.

today I commuted a bit over 100 miles from long beach to san diego... on the way home, Friday afternoon, summer time, accidents. yeah, great stuff. I estimate at least one third of the commute home today was bumper to bumper land split.. even in the car pool lane. crazy. it's like you either live it, or don't have much appreciation for how it is or can be.

my recognition of the demographics is a bit different.... not loving most of the working vans for instance. although I did catch an Asian lady looking like she was starting to drift off to sleep while slowly crossing the line in her bmw suv...

in the process passed numerous bikes and was passed in turn by others. I think I was rolling somewhere in the middle. pulled over to let one sport bike pass thru doing a solid roll... only to find a motorcycle cop about 2 car lengths behind him. the cop rolled off, cut over a couple lanes and I lost sight. (he wasn't after the bike which is what I thought at first)

EDIT: just figured out it actually had to be almost two thirds... with at least a third crawling or stopped. it was a bad commute day.
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote