Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #16
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,209
Should have stopped and asked him/her just where the hell you were supposed to pull over for him/her

And I believe the law says you're not supposed to do more than 10 over what the traffic is doing. If's it doing at least 45 you're not supposed to split. Not that anyone pays attention to either points.

I was in LA traffic a couple years ago and passed by a guy lane splitting when I was doing 65 on my bike in moderate traffic... amazing...

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #17
braindigitalis
Wet weather sucks!

Oddometer: 78
Maybe he thought that loud pipes save lives
braindigitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #18
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg View Post
Should have stopped and asked him/her just where the hell you were supposed to pull over for him/her

And I believe the law says you're not supposed to do more than 10 over what the traffic is doing. If's it doing at least 45 you're not supposed to split. Not that anyone pays attention to either points.

I was in LA traffic a couple years ago and passed by a guy lane splitting when I was doing 65 on my bike in moderate traffic... amazing...
The law is rather vague. It's something along the lines of "safe and prudent". Somebody (CHP?) recently published some recommendations that include a maximum speeds, as well as a maximum speed delta.

Currently, if you were splitting at 55 in a 55 zone, there's no exact law about the legality (other that the fact that you aren't speeding).
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #19
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,209
Yup, I did a search and it's guidelines... except for the blockers That is covered under the CVC.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

Oh well... asshats are everywhere, just be careful...

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #20
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 236
to bad smart phones don't come with earplugs, then they could really ignore us!
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #21
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Bay area lane splitters scare the hell out of me...

A few years ago I had to drive a dually pickup with an 8x18 cargo trailer through the bay area on my way to job. TWICE in about 30 min. lane splitting motorcycles hit my vehicle. One guy tagged his pannier on the dual wheel cover, and another guy tagged his elbow on my towing mirror.

It spooked me a bit that they were going so much faster then the flow of traffic, I was a bit worried I would run over one or cut one off while making a lane change.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #22
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
A few years ago I had to drive a dually pickup with an 8x18 cargo trailer through the bay area on my way to job. TWICE in about 30 min. lane splitting motorcycles hit my vehicle. One guy tagged his pannier on the dual wheel cover, and another guy tagged his elbow on my towing mirror.

It spooked me a bit that they were going so much faster then the flow of traffic, I was a bit worried I would run over one or cut one off while making a lane change.

You must have missed the sign that says "Trucks Right Lane", towing a trailer you are a truck and limited to 55 mph.

I wish I could figure out the Tour Busses in the fast lane doing 85 mph blowing past cops on the downhill's and 50 mph belching black smoke on the uphill's.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:25 AM   #23
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
i've nothing but love for all the lane splitters out there. for the commuter its what makes riding worth it all. i didn't split for around 18 months when i first started riding. then after some conversation and observation i started splitting and haven't stopped. it becomes natural on the bike, or as one guy said in a video "its just what motorcycles do." for me its pretty much automatic, all other things being equal. which means when riding conditions permit

natural. thats what it feels like. there is a space, i am riding into it. pretty simple. the only thing that could make me stop riding is if they made it illegal in Cali. or if i moved to a state where they really enforce the law, and / or the public would hate me and run me off the road. call 911 on my "reckless" ass. i just cannot be stuck behind cars anymore. or stuck behind two dozen blocking my way doing 35mph in a 45mph zone. they are getting split. if i can't do it, i can't ride. i mean, seriously? in some places no one ever, ever lane splits in city traffic? i would rather take a bus or carpool if the law took it away. let someone else drive if i have to be stuck in traffic

please don't hate ME, just speaking for this rider. if you happen to drive and see me on the road. as i pass remember, i just did you a big favor. if only others would get on bikes and do the same

DudeClone screwed with this post 09-08-2013 at 01:33 AM
DudeClone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #24
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
You are flip flopping between extremes. The bike NEITHER has to sit next to them for hours NOR fly by with earsplitting pipes at 125 kph. Howsabout like OP was doing, quietly ride along at an easy speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C/1/509 View Post
The goal being that the people in cars think "damn, I wish I was on a bike" more and "another asshole on a motorcycle" less.
It should be this easy, but unfortunately there are enough riders out there (and a few here) who lack the judgment, consideration, and self control to do it unobtrusively.

Its a real talent some have to take something positive that benefits everybody, and turn it into yet another reason to hate motorcycles.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #25
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
. i mean, seriously? in some places no one ever, ever lane splits in city traffic? i would rather take a bus or carpool if the law took it away. let someone else drive if i have to be stuck in traffic
Its not legal here in Washington, and I rarely see anyone take the chance as it is enforced..

Riding is still an advantage, you can use the carpool lanes, and its easier to get through traffic even if your a conservative rider.
Its simply a matter of adapting to your environment.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #26
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
^

well that is good to hear from an experienced rider. i sometimes think of the various locales people ride and some have no traffic, some are wide open spaces, and some is highway or a bit of all types of riding within a day or week.

i guess when you like to ride, like you said, you adapt. and the way you put it, it sounds like you just find a way. a different way

i guess i just forgot my first 18 months of riding when i NEVER split. you're right now that i recall, i did fine. would do fine again

be reasonable, stay riding

i sure do LOVE the split, though. i am glad it is a reality of riding for me, daily
Old 09-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #27
Thorgrim
War Hippie

Oddometer: 235
I so much wish that TN would legalize it. It's pretty pointless to make me wait behind a car that's spewing CO, when we all know that I'll jump him when the light changes. I could easily putt-putt up to the front, I promise I'll be gone before you wake up and realize the light has changed.

Speaking of that, it's something that happens regularly in "upper east" Tennessee that I've never seen elsewhere. The traffic light turns green, and everybody just sits there. I've been in traffic behind cages where a "short" light makes a full cycle, green/amber/red and no one has moved. What's even worse, nearly every day I get behind someone who gets to a traffic light and stops ... and it was green when they got there. Like the little steering wheel sticking out of the waistband of me kilt, it drives me nuts.

If I could split legally, I could avoid 99.3% of the bad things that happen to motorcyclists here, because I would be long gone when they happened. Score one for Cali ... finally.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #28
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,875
Once again, if it's so crowded where you live that you get traffic jams splitting lanes between the jammed traffic, some of you folks need to move. Spread out a little fer cryin out loud.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #29
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
[QUOTE towing a trailer you are a truck and limited to 55 mph.[/QUOTE]

California does have a lot of super lame rules that make no sense, and 55 wasn't a problem on that day. I was feeling lucky when I hit 25.

You guys do haul ass though. I can see why people hate you if you frequently make contact with cages.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #30
Colorado Col Rider
Wee Stromming Now

Oddometer: 195
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Yes, because that guy on the bike is getting ahead of the rest of us...

We're 'merkins and should all be equal- by force if necessary. See also "Harrison Bergeron".
Pretty much this sums it up. I doubt many motorcycles make contact with cars, I doubt many riders are flying down the lanes irresponsibly, and I doubt they impact traffic really at all other than you're getting there first and like Dwoodward implied, that isn't fair!