Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #136
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Sad to think that I live in Utah so close to this amazing UTBDR route and I haven't done it yet. Thanks for the RR it was truly inspirational. Now I need to get off my azz and get out there and ride the thing. I wondering if I could somehow make a loop from my home in St. George all the way around Utah with minimal slab. That would be Awesome...
lacofdfireman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #137
IgnacioB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Thanks so much for the incredibly detailed report, flood of pictures, and very-well-done video! I've been planning a 3000 mile UTBDR loop from Washington State for some time, and as I get down into the nitty gritty of what to do AFTER we get to Mexican Hat with a North-South ride....I'm increasingly sure we're going to head back by way of some of the Glen Canyon stuff you've done....at least to Hite....and at least on stuff that can be ridden by middle-aged guys on TR650 & F800GS. ;)

And your find of cabins at Strawberry Reservoir has me intrigued and may try and aim for early in the ride as a possible bonus camping opportunity.

Thanks again!
My Motorcycle Blog
IgnacioB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #138
vcvarmitcong
Cheekrashsucks

Oddometer: 47
Jordan, this is the best RR I've ever read. So easy to follow, and the vids and the music are tops.

I'm building my Hypermotard now for this and I'll be in your tracks in '14. Thank you.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:56 PM   #139
Motokirby
Anti log hopper

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcvarmitcong View Post
jordan, this is the best rr i've ever read. So easy to follow, and the vids and the music are tops.

I'm building my hypermotard now for this and i'll be in your tracks in '14. Thank you.
Motokirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:37 AM   #140
vinnard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
WOW! One of the best RRs I have read! I knew I wanted to ride Utah but this report really sealed it for me. Hell, now I want to move there!
vinnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #141
means42
n00b

Oddometer: 1
What an awesome ride.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:18 AM   #142
mattc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Excellent! Thanks for the A+ report.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:19 AM   #143
advmoto66
Vagabond

Oddometer: 98
Thumb Glad to have stubbled on this RR

Jordan nice work man, your group ride was awesome and the time you took to create your own custom loop was well rewarded with great trails, roads and fabulous views. I'm now inspired to get a DS bike and follow your tracks.

Kudos

BTW did any of you have your WR's suspension tuned or are you running stock.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:33 AM   #144
Motokirby
Anti log hopper

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by advmoto66 View Post
Jordan nice work man, your group ride was awesome and the time you took to create your own custom loop was well rewarded with great trails, roads and fabulous views. I'm now inspired to get a DS bike and follow your tracks.

Kudos

Jordan and I both have revalve front and rear. Mine by go-race, his by another shop. They work much better but still no match to a stock ktm
Old 08-30-2014, 05:58 PM   #145
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 375
Quote:

Kudos

Hey, Thanks for reading the Report... So, yes, as Richard mentioned, my suspension had been re-done by WER (Works Enduro Rider). It made a tremendious improvement to the bike. It will never be as good as a true dirt bike, but a true dirt bike can't do everything the WR can do either - the great compromise .

I feel like I've certainly been pushing the limit of the WR on recent trips, but the bike will still DO it -- just maybe not as quick or clean as others .

What DS bike are you looking at getting - a lot of options out there .

Jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:27 PM   #146
advmoto66
Vagabond

Oddometer: 98
"What DS bike are you looking at getting - a lot of options out there ."

Jordan great question, if you were to get another DS which bike would you recommend? I have a YZ 250 2 stroke that is set up for off road the suspension is valved super plush for rock gardens and roots/tree hopping. I lived in CO. for 10 yrs and rode mostly single track from Aspen to Telluride. Currently in AZ and need to link the trails with a DS. So the YZ is more of a trailer to the trail head then ride. The KTM 350 looks like a great bike for my style of riding but after reading so many RR here on ADV I wanted some feed back from guys like you that have ridden the WR 250 for a few seasons.

I used to ride with a bunch of older pro's A and AA riders who had stables of bikes but they always chose to ride the KTM 200 cause after riding from sunrise to sunset they were more manageable.

Our single track trails would only allow you to ride in 2nd and 3rd gear for 90% of the day. It was only on the forest service roads where we could catch them and let them eat our dust otherwise we were chasing them all day long. I was hoping with some mods to the WR the compromise would still leave me satisfied. Now that I'm a few years older and not looking to haul ass but just looking for some fun spirited off-road riding and camping.

Thanks for taking the time to answer a few of my questions, summer is almost over here in AZ and our second riding season is just around the corner. Time for me to get a new bike for DS camping.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:12 PM   #147
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
"What DS bike are you looking at getting - a lot of options out there ."

Jordan great question, if you were to get another DS which bike would you recommend? I have a YZ 250 2 stroke that is set up for off road the suspension is valved super plush for rock gardens and roots/tree hopping. I lived in CO. for 10 yrs and rode mostly single track from Aspen to Telluride. Currently in AZ and need to link the trails with a DS. So the YZ is more of a trailer to the trail head then ride. The KTM 350 looks like a great bike for my style of riding but after reading so many RR here on ADV I wanted some feed back from guys like you that have ridden the WR 250 for a few seasons.

I used to ride with a bunch of older pro's A and AA riders who had stables of bikes but they always chose to ride the KTM 200 cause after riding from sunrise to sunset they were more manageable.

Our single track trails would only allow you to ride in 2nd and 3rd gear for 90% of the day. It was only on the forest service roads where we could catch them and let them eat our dust otherwise we were chasing them all day long. I was hoping with some mods to the WR the compromise would still leave me satisfied. Now that I'm a few years older and not looking to haul ass but just looking for some fun spirited off-road riding and camping.

Thanks for taking the time to answer a few of my questions, summer is almost over here in AZ and our second riding season is just around the corner. Time for me to get a new bike for DS camping.

Well... I have no definitive answer for you, because there probably isn't one - But here's my input.

It all depends on the amount of actual technical trail you want to ride, and speed at which you want to ride, and amount of gear you plan to haul. We basically use a lightweight/ultra lightweight backpacking camping gear setup, and can haul all of our camping gear in a Giant Loop Coyote Bag. Any DS bike you would consider can carry that bag, but if you want to carry more, then that would certainly affect your bike decision. Distance you will travel per trip and maintenance schedule are another factor. The KTM 350/500 EXC will require more maintenance at shorter intervals than say the WR250r/CRF250L/KLX250s/DRZ400s etc...

I can go on, and on, but really it would just be my opinion, and it really just boils down to what you like and what you want. If I was riding Forest Roads, some OHV trails, and camping off the bikes then I would lean towards a WR250r, because I would most likely be having higher mileage days through fairly easy riding. If I was doing DS riding with some forest roads, camping off the bikes, but a heavy emphasis on technical trails, and single track I would say to look towards the KTM 350/500EXC bikes, because I would be having much lower mileage days with much more difficult riding, where the benefits of a bike designed to handle such terrain would far outweigh their shortcomings on the road or maintenance.

I possibly just confused you more ...

Jordan

jglow is offline   Reply With Quote