Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #31
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,450
Wow, that is an awesome route you stitched together! You are riding in some incredible areas, very challenging and beautiful terrain. I like your gopro still shots, lots of action! I am enjoying your report! Thanks!
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #32
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
Laugh Love it,

I'm in.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #33
KnightRider374
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Utah rocks

I'm in!
KnightRider374 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #34
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 389

Stats for Day 2: 231 miles

Here is the Video wrap from Day 2:

jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #35
Motokirby
Anti log hopper

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideDualSport.com View Post
Wow, that is an awesome route you stitched together! You are riding in some incredible areas, very challenging and beautiful terrain. I like your gopro still shots, lots of action! I am enjoying your report! Thanks!
We would have had more gopro shots but mine quit after day 3. Along with every other electronic device I brought. :/
Motokirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #36
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,699
Hi jglow!
Looks like you guys had a great ride!
The UTBDR is cool, but it's nice to add more stuff to it.
Good job!

It was fun to see your pics from Lockhart Basin and Hurrah Pass...
We're leaving Colorado tomorrow and will hit that stuff on the way to Moab.
I can't wait!!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #37
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglow View Post

Stats for Day 2: 231 miles

Here is the Video wrap from Day 2:

jordan
That one section where y'all were pushing your bike so it didn't fall down the hill looked SO sketchy. Definitely would not want to be on a big adv during that stuff. WOW! I'm kicking myself right now for going on vacation with my family instead of with you guys! Don't tell my wife I said that. Lol!
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:46 AM   #38
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,458
oh, yeah!... this is my kinda trip, and you guys look like you got all the right stuff..... been dying to try pretty much exactly that same loop, burr trail, escalante, hanksville, etc....

i'm IN !!!!!!!.....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:24 AM   #39
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Day 3 – Strawberry OHV to Ephraim, UT

The storm blew through overnight, and I was eventually able to get out of the tent and get rid of all my food stuff from cooking in the vestibule before going to sleep – I didn’t want any bears cuddling up with me! In the morning we awoke to super wet and foggy conditions.

We weren’t heading out early today .

Very few things worse than packing up a soggy tent, so we waited it out, and it was actually turning out to be a sunny, pleasant morning.

It had gotten pretty chilly overnight, and with all the rain, we didn’t bother to have a fire, so we huddled up around the morning brew stations to catch some exhaust heat.

Once the sun got above the hills, everything dried quickly.

We loaded up and headed out, swinging by these white shacks that were near where we had camped.

Turns out that they are like little cabins that are public use (just keep them the way you found them). They were fully stocked with firewood too! The funny thing is that we had been talking all morning about how nice a fire would’ve been, and we were so close to these shacks the whole time, and had no idea. We could’ve been living large with a fire, and sleeping bags thrown out on the floor. Oh, well… Guess we know for next time.

Heading up towards Strawberry Reservoir…

And then by the Marina where we grabbed a late breakfast before heading back out on the OHV Trails.

We start off on an easy trail that brings us up to the ridge…

Where we pick up a sandy intermediate 2-track trail that was loads of fun.

Although a little dusty. Doesn’t look like they got any rain here last night.

Richard skids off the trail abruptly. I thought he was either: 1. Having trouble with the biscuits and gravy, or 2. Seeing a photo-op he couldn’t pass up .

Turned out to be neither. His jacket had just come loose from the bungee, and wadded up in the back tire. Stopped him instantly – like pulling the E-brake. It also wasn't a terrible spot to stop and take some pics .

With no visible damage to the jacket, Richard re-strapped it, and we continued on.

We come to our next section of Single Track MC trail that I had routed. We were feeling a bit apprehensive about jumping back into it, after the experience we had last night. There was a go around that utilized EZ and Intermediate ATV trails, but everyone was feeling much better this morning, so we opted for the single track .

Which was an intermediate (blue) trail...

Same as the ones we were on last night,

And it was not without it's technical sections...

But overall this section was a breeze, and a ton of fun.

It's not that the trail last night was super hard... The trail itself was pretty easy riding. I think it had a lot to do with the fact that a lot of the riding was off-camber, and we are pretty loaded down. There were times that my bags were literally dragging against the side of the mountain slope - making our margin for error pretty small .

None of that today, but any openings smaller that 50" made me nervous to pass through .

Which is why to Giant Loop bags that Richard and Lawson were sporting may have been better suited for this type of trail riding than my Wolfman Expedition Dry Bags.

Further down the line, the trail spits us out at a junction...

Where the men continue South on the Expert (black) Single Track Route, and the boys head West for the Forest Road Go-Around.

Were we men or still feeling a little boyish this morning ?

more day 2 coming up later....

jordan
Old 08-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #40
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 854
In!

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #41
gammel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
I thought this looked familiar!! We were there 07/14/13
Old 08-11-2013, 05:08 AM   #42
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motokirby View Post
We would have had more gopro shots but mine quit after day 3. Along with every other electronic device I brought. :/

This is so true... Richards bike had turned into the Bermuda Triangle for electrical devices . His Spot2 failed, his GoPro refused to turn on after day 3, his 12v outlet didn't like his USB converter (even though it worked perfectly on mine) , and his Iphone 5 crapped out .

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
Hi jglow!
Looks like you guys had a great ride!
The UTBDR is cool, but it's nice to add more stuff to it.
Good job!

It was fun to see your pics from Lockhart Basin and Hurrah Pass...
We're leaving Colorado tomorrow and will hit that stuff on the way to Moab.
I can't wait!!
I've said this before, and I'll say it again... Bigwan is a MAN ! 2up through a lot of that stuff is more than impressive! Hope you put together a Ride Report for this latest ride .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post
That one section where y'all were pushing your bike so it didn't fall down the hill looked SO sketchy. Definitely would not want to be on a big adv during that stuff. WOW! I'm kicking myself right now for going on vacation with my family instead of with you guys! Don't tell my wife I said that. Lol!
Yup... That family first stuff will come back to bite you in the arse . Just kidding... But, yes! Next year .

jordan
Old 08-11-2013, 05:14 AM   #43
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
oh, yeah!... this is my kinda trip, and you guys look like you got all the right stuff..... been dying to try pretty much exactly that same loop, burr trail, escalante, hanksville, etc....

i'm IN !!!!!!!.....
Once I get done with the Ride Report, I will clean up the tracks, and have them available for anyone who would be interested in riding this Route. Probably will have to pm me and send me an email address if interested - I haven't had much luck with uploading files to Advrider.

*updated -- tracks available for download at bottom of first post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
Hey Kari ,

All the sand riding practice out at Red River really came in handy on this trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammel View Post
I thought this looked familiar!! We were there 07/14/13
Nice! I so badly wanted to jump those ramped cattle guard things, but was never coaxed enough .

jordan

jglow screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 10:59 AM
Old 08-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #44
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Day 3 Continued....

So, the decision at hand was whether or not to take the Expert trail South (our original drawn route) or bail out on some easy forest roads that would later meet up at the bottom with our original route. We stop at the junction to make a choice.

The thing is, Richard and I don’t have a lick of sense between us when it comes to turning around, and/or bailing on things. We have been in several hairy situations together, and they were all a result of us pushing on further past when we should’ve given up. So knowing that, I think we were both ready to dive into the Expert trail, but at the same time relying on Lawson to be the voice of reason and suggest bailing out , and heading down the easy stuff. At that point, I wouldn’t have minded at all which way we went. We still had a lot of planned miles to cover that day.

So, I was super surprised when Lawson voted to take the Expert Route ! As he put it, “the part I can see looks pretty easy”… (Nevermind the rest of the 3 miles of trail we can’t see! )

So with our 3 Person Team Democratic system thriving, we all blindly head down the Expert trail South to Tie Fork Rd.

And it indeed starts out “easy”

But the trail marker let’s us know we are on the correct path.

But it looks like the majority of the trail will be descending, and that is typically a bit easier to tackle (especially with the bikes being turned in to our mules).

Then the trail gets kicked up a notch to Double Black (didn’t see that on the brochure)

And it does have a few steep sections with tight corners, and varying consequences off to the right or left…

I washed out on the front at one point…

But truly the trail wasn’t too bad.

We just rode it consistently and methodically down to the bottom…

Where the trail stated to widen and become Tie Fork Rd.

With several water crossings for our entertainment.

Before spitting us out at a Rest Stop Area at the Junction of Tie Fork Rd and US Hwy 6.

We took the chance to re-fill the camel backs, and throw on our jackets. We were now heading up to the Skyline Dr, and most of that road is between 9,000-10,000 ft elevation, and can get chilly – even in the summer. So with the threat of rain all around us, we hoped back on the bikes and headed down the trail.

But within 30 minutes or so, all the rain had moved past, and we had managed to stay dry.

The sun was now out, and the scenery was spectacular!

And we were able to make some miles too.

Climbing higher…

We spotted some wildlife:

Time for a Siesta' in the shade of the bike.

Eventually the road maintenance ends…

“Native Conditions” exist, and the road gets a little more FUN.

Roadside attractions:

And still more awesome vistas:

Our plan for the evening was to drop down to Ephraim for fuel and food, and depending on the weather we would either head back up into the forest to camp, or snag a room in town.

There were a few options to get off of Skyline Dr and down into Epraim. One was the easy obvious route of Skyline dr to the nicely graded Ephraim Canyon Rd. Another route option was to take this vague “jeep trail” that I had found, and traced out on Google Earth. I told the guys I couldn’t promise that the trail went through, but it “looked like it did when I flew over it in Google Earth”…. Famous last words I suppose .

So, when we get to the turn off for the Jeep trail, I am pleased to see that it is a legitimate trail, with proper trail markers, indicating that it was (once again) an Expert Trail. No worries… We’ve already ridden one today – this one's in the bag! Down we go.

And it’s pretty technical…

But very similar to the stuff we ride a lot in Oklahoma and Arkansas.

Rocky, loose, steep…

But there was this one section.

Kinda near the bottom, and well past more difficult sections of the trail.

But this little piece of trail had Lawson’s number.

As he rounded the corner on the rocky descent,

his front tire let go, and then immediately wedged against a larger rock. Stopped him instantly and sent him off the bike. Right on his head.

Lawson, better than anyone I know, has the amazing ability to sacrifice his head/neck area of his body in a crash . It's not intentional... It just kinda happens to him. I think I've decided that it's due to the fact that he is so tall. He just doesn't have the time to complete the tuck and roll, and so his head drags on the ground .

Anyhow... We let him lay there and regroup for a minute before we laughed about it.

And then continued on down the trail for another few miles.

That brought us into Ephraim.

We were riding into what appeared to be a potentially gnarly monsoon storm, so we were hurrying to get into town. With the storm blowing in, and Lawson's head first tumble he took off of the bike, we figured a motel was in order for the night. We stopped at the small motel at the North end of town, but got no answer at the door of the office . The wind was howling at that point, and we all just knew that we would be getting soaked before being able to get a room. We headed back South through town, and stopped at the much too fancy (for us) Willow Creek Inn.

They had us at "Hot Tub".

We piled our stuff into one room, and ran and ate a quick, crappy Mcdonalds (Sunday pm in Utah and everything was closed). Then got back to the motel to soak in the hot tub. It was wonderful, and just what everybody needed after a few long, late days on the trail. And it never did actually rain... We got about 3 drops total .

Total Stats for the day: A hard earned 123 measly miles.

Tomorrow we will be heading out and South from Ephraim on OHV trails in the Arapeen trail system. It will be another long day, and we get to deal with the first mechanical issues of the trip .

jordan

jglow screwed with this post 08-11-2013 at 07:59 AM
Old 08-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #45
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 821

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote