User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #46
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
great ride thus far

Doing the utbdr and cobdr in 3 weeks, and your videos have me so excited. Great choice of music and editing. Keep it coming. Suscribed.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #47
shortbritches
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
COOL BEANS!! This ride is awesome.Being a loop is cool for us midwest guys trying to plan a trip.
shortbritches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #48
DavidQ
We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer: 1,999
Great report guys.
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
DavidQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #49
greenwater
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Fantastic!

Great report and nice editing on the videos. I am hooked. Keep it coming!
greenwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #50
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Copy cat

Awesome ride report, ive been following in your footsteps so to speak. just finished Alaska 2 up with my lady on a Wee and now I'm doing the UTBDR and CObDR in 2 weeks on my WR.. Thanks for paving the way with your rr! Hey what gearing you guys running on the bikes? Ill have some highway miles to get back and was just going to leave it stock. Recommendations ? Also you guys running d606's?
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:05 AM   #51
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Alamo View Post
Awesome ride report, ive been following in your footsteps so to speak. just finished Alaska 2 up with my lady on a Wee and now I'm doing the UTBDR and CObDR in 2 weeks on my WR.. Thanks for paving the way with your rr! Hey what gearing you guys running on the bikes? Ill have some highway miles to get back and was just going to leave it stock. Recommendations ? Also you guys running d606's?
Thanks for checking out the Ride Report !

All three of us were running D606's in the rear. I was also running a d606 up front, while Lawson and Richard ran MT21's. All tires performed very well. As far as gearing goes... Is it totally necessary to change gearing? No. I rode the TAT a couple of years ago with the stock gearing. I got through everything just fine, but I also didn't know what I was potentially missing. For this ride I went 14/50, and it was pretty awesome, especially in the slow, tight, technical stuff. I could still cruise at a gps indicated 60mph. My bike is stock engine wise, so the gearing change helped to make up for the lost power at higher elevations too. I believe Lawson was running a 13/47 setup and Richard was running a 13/48 setup.

And as a side note... If you are planning on running with a group, I would totally suggest the use of a filter skin. It will keep you from having to carry a spare filter, and/or have to clean your filter mid ride.

Here is how dirty the filter skin was after 7 days (probably should've taken it off earlier in the ride to free up some ponies):

And look how clean it kept the main filter underneath.

Anyways... I hope that more or less helps you out. Good luck on your ride! Let me know if you got any other questions.

jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:07 AM   #52
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Here is the Day 3 Video Wrap .

jordan
Old 08-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #53
kirbykajin_sr
Old Man

Oddometer: 10
My last fall.

Okay, so now that I have watched the video of me falling on my head. I just don't get how it gave me such a headache. It didn't really look that bad. I must have been faking or something.

kirbykajin_sr screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 06:50 AM
kirbykajin_sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #54
bpeterson
I just tweeted it

Oddometer: 1,032
great report and video guys, looks like a fun ride for sure.

UTBDR is on my list of trips!
'02 DR-Z 400S - for sale soon
'06 TE 610 - sold
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #55
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
In. Looks like a fun trip. Looking for a similar route suitable for 650's: XRL, KLR etc. Keep it coming.

John
Old 08-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #56
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Nice work on the Double Black Diamonds

Great RR, looking forward to more. Too funny about the cabins so close, but you guys look like you don't need no stinking cabins!

Will definitely take you up on your offer to share the tracks. thanks!
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #57
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,381
Great RR JGlow! I would love to do this ride possibly without the part where you are hand wheeling your bike along the ledge. Ha! Your videos are awesome and great choice of tunes. Still trying to ride some of the TOTO tracks you sent me last year. Thanks again for those BTW! I met a fellow that knows most all of the trails in that area. When you decide to head that way again give me a shout and I will hook you up with him and I will tag along if you are so inclined. He showed us a few a few weeks back when we did a camping event at Queen Wilhelmina State Park. Here is a link to that report.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #58
MaverickChick
I do my own stunts.

Oddometer: 464
Making my Utah look good

Thanks for the ride report, this is on my short list.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #59
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEARY View Post
Great RR JGlow! I would love to do this ride possibly without the part where you are hand wheeling your bike along the ledge. Ha! Your videos are awesome and great choice of tunes. Still trying to ride some of the TOTO tracks you sent me last year. Thanks again for those BTW! I met a fellow that knows most all of the trails in that area. When you decide to head that way again give me a shout and I will hook you up with him and I will tag along if you are so inclined. He showed us a few a few weeks back when we did a camping event at Queen Wilhelmina State Park. Here is a link to that report.
Hey Oleary! I'm gonna check out that report, and I'll be sure to let you know when I ever head out that way.

jordan
Old 08-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #60
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Day 4 – Ephraim, UT to Fishlake NF (Fremont River)

It’s hard to believe that we have done so much awesome riding already, and it’s only day 4 of the trip . I was up early sampling the breakfast offerings at our swanky motel and checking the weather forecast for the day. There had been rain surrounding us at some point every day, but for the most part, we had managed to avoid direct contact with the storms. There had also been some flash flooding going on further South of us, and it seemed prudent to look since we were indeed heading South. Our weather looked to be pretty decent with only a 30% chance of storms later in the day. After everyone else got up, fed, and ready, we saddled up.

Most of the planned route today would be on trails in either the Arapeen Trail System, Gooseberry Trail System, or Paiute Trail System, so a high mileage day was not expected. It would still, most likely, be a long day though .

Before we left, I added a little expressionist art to the front of Lawson's bike . I felt it really helped to depict the mood that he and his bike were in yesterday evening .

(Richard later added some fangs to it, and it was then mildly intimidating )

Then we headed back up Ephraim Canyon Road, keeping an eye out for our first trail to turn off on to.

Heading up the first trail on our Route in the Arapeen System.

The traction was perfect this morning.

And I really liked riding through the Aspen trees.

Then we had some early morning carnage, which was the result of Richard leaning his bike against Lawson’s bike (with Lawson on it). After a few seconds of being precariously perched against Lawson’s bike, Richards bike slipped, and tipped over. It was kinda funny to watch. Richards bike started to fall. Lawson tried to catch it, but then his bike started to fall, and the domino reaction was started. Lawson and both bikes ended up on the ground. The casualty ended up being Richards helmet visor.

It was time to break out the duct tape.

And then we tackled our first climb (of many) of the morning.

As we worked our way through the Arapeen.

Most of the trails we routed were intermediate “ATV” trails.

And there were tricky spots here and there, but mostly just fun riding through this incredible area.

At one point the trail we are on climbs all the way back up to junction with Skyline Dr.

And we follow it a ways...

Until our trail cuts off, and traverses downward.

And gets a little muddy as we drop down...

Which helps me get the first picture of Richard's bike down (I missed the shot at the gas station a few days earlier when he got intimidated by some Wild Hogs :ymca and dropped his bike, or maybe there was another more logical reason, but I like mine ):

Not much to say… Just good riding!

A little after lunch time, we run our last bit of trail we have routed through the Arapeen Trail System.

Richard gets distracted reading a sign on a right corner and ends up in the ditch.

The thought bubble above his head reads: "Silly bike..."

We crack up for a while, and take a little break, before pushing on...

Not five minutes after that, I look down to notice my engine temp light is on . Which is kinda weird… I’ve never had any warning lights come on.

I kill the engine to listen to the radiator fan, and it sounds weird – really quiet. Upon further inspection, it looks like the fan rotor (blades) are separated from the motor .

We tear the bike down to sort it out.

[IMG][/IMG]

And yeah… the rotor is definitely separated,

But looks to be repairable with some good ol’ JB Weld.

So I make the repair and let it set up a bit.

Then reassemble the bike.

And we’re ready to go.

As we continue through the last little bit of the Arapeen Trail System, I’m looking down to check the temp light every few seconds, and for now it’s staying off. I’m also halfway expecting the repair to explode out pieces of fan blade and JB weld shrapnel at me .

Back riding...the trail brings us to a junction where the Skyline Dr ends and the Great Western Trail (GWT) begins. This is also the area where the Manti-La Sal NF changes over to Fishlake NF, and the Arapeen trail system gives way to the Gooseberry trail system. Lot’s of information there… Sorry .

We will follow the GWT South. And I will keep an eye on my temp light .

From time to time, the GWT will merge with a forest road, then it will cut off on it’s own path. At least up here in the North part of Fishlake NF, the traffic on the GWT is limited to 50” wide.

The hump in the middle of the 2-track was pretty large in the early part of the trail, and that really made you have to stay in the left or right track. Not really a problem, except for the brush that was encroaching on the trail... It was really trying to rip my saddlebags off my bike.

The GWT through here was fun, but I would be lying if I said I enjoyed it at that moment. I was just so preoccupied with the bike – I just knew it was on the verge of overheating, and we were still pretty far from the nearest town – Salina, UT. Just kept going over it in my head, "Why did my fan break anyways ?"

I was trying not to work the bike too hard, and not let it idle at a stand still. But the trail was fairly demanding in sections with lots of loose rocky climbs.

Then we came to a really large mudhole.

Richard had gotten to it first, and declared there was no go-around and we'd have to go through it. Lawson said the right side looked the best, and went for it. 2 seconds later, he was tangled in the fence.

And that was some snotty, slimy mud . We got Lawson out of the mud, and then I spotted the not so obvious (obvious) go-round . Richard swears it wasn't just a cruel joke on the eldest member of our group .

After about an hour into the GWT I started gaining more confidence in the bike and the repair - since it hadn't yet overheated.

Meanwhile, Lawson seemed to be losing a bit of confidence. After getting pretty gassed out with a couple of bike drops, and demanding climbs...

A little further down the trail, Lawson's bike slid out from him on a loose, rocky turn twisting his ankle, and his already bum knee.

I could tell the fun factor at that point was pretty low for him. We had about 7-8 more miles of the GWT before we hit I-70 and had any other route options, so we took a break, and then steadily worked our way down.

When we hit the junction where the GWT goes under I-70, we stopped to assess our situation. (disregard the camera shmootz)

There was also another typical later afternoon storm blowing in from the West, so that got factored into the equation. The next town we were planning on hitting up for fuel and food was the small town of Loa, UT. I had us routed on the GWT most of the rest of the way there - about 60ish miles. The day had gotten way late on us, and I wasn't quite sure what the GWT South of I-70 was like, so I threw out the suggestion to just ride a direct route down to Loa. It would still be on Forest Roads, and trails, but we should make better time. We could fuel up, eat, get supplies, and regroup there. Everyone agreed, so we tweaked the route slightly and headed down to Loa.

About 10mins into the reroute, we hit the storm. On top of that, we were on a forest road, climbing - It's amazing how exposed you can feel on a motorbike in a thunderstorm . It briefly started hailing on us, which was another wicked experience. But right about the time the road started getting really snotty and sketchy, we passed through the storm. A few miles later, we picked up a trail in the Paiute Trail System, and took that all the way South to Hwy 24.

We burned down Hwy 24 leaving the storm behind us...

And about 20 miles later we hit Loa. At some point on the way to Loa, someone mentioned how good some pizza would be, so our fingers were crossed when we rolled through town. And as luck would have it, the one place that was there, and open, served PIZZA !

Selfie at the pizza place:

After the pizza, we rolled back up into Fishlake NF, and Lawson spotted a primo camp spot in a meadow by the Fremont River. It was awesome .

It had been a mentally and physically exhausting day, but it was so totally worth it.

Total Mileage today: 143

jordan