Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #16
matt33
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
That is some gorgeous scenery! I'm also pretty impressed that you tackled that on a GS. One of these days, I hope to get out west and ride on some real mountains with my 690. Until then, I'll settle for these little "mountains" here.
matt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #17
outBackscout OP
EPIC ADVENTURER

Oddometer: 28
Maybe that 690 of yours would eat up these mountains a little so I could get around a little easier on my GS. I'd love to get on one and try it out, kinda thinking I shoulda got one from the get go. But I love those expressions I get when I claw my way up a nasty hill climb on the GS and kids on dirt bikes are like " check out that dude on the street bike!"
outBackscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #18
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
Thumb Looks like some awesome riding...

Lived in Quincy 7 years, nice country for off roading and riding. I need to spend more time up that way doing some more exploring.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #19
matt33
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by outBackscout View Post
Maybe that 690 of yours would eat up these mountains a little so I could get around a little easier on my GS. I'd love to get on one and try it out, kinda thinking I shoulda got one from the get go. But I love those expressions I get when I claw my way up a nasty hill climb on the GS and kids on dirt bikes are like " check out that dude on the street bike!"
When I decided to upgrade my WR250R this spring, I had it narrowed down to an 800 GS and the KTM 690. I really wanted to buy the GS, but I ride off pavement more than on with no highway at all, so I knew that the 690 would probably be a better fit for me.

That said there is really no perfect do everything bike. The 690 is as close as I could find for where I ride, but I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'm going to need to buy another bike for longer distance multi-day trips. The GS seems perfect for that while still having some good off road capability (as you clearly demonstrated).
matt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #20
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethestick View Post
I love riding up in that area. Quincy. The 70 is one of my Favorite roads. Nice RR.
Oroville-Quincy Hwy is arguably better than 70 :).
Old 08-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #21
1wicked55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
That's my back yard.
I ride up there almost every weekend.

Watch for a big guy on a Husaberg FE 350.
1wicked55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #22
outBackscout OP
EPIC ADVENTURER

I agree in that I like the Quincy/Oroville highway better but you can take it one step further and ride the chip sealed single lane road from Grass Valley Reservoir (near the town of La Porte) down to the Quincy/Oroville highway through the community of Feather Falls. Its a great ride and there is even a half way cut off for those willing to dare the Millsap Bar trail. I highly recommend the the Millsap Bar cut off as it has a foot trail, off to the side, that leads my favorite place in California; Seven Falls. Maybe I could do a RR on that trip alone as the pictures would be worth posting on any web site!
Old 08-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #23
klinquist
übergeek

Quote:
I agree in that I like the Quincy/Oroville highway better but you can take it one step further and ride the chip sealed single lane road from Grass Valley Reservoir (near the town of La Porte) down to the Quincy/Oroville highway through the community of Feather Falls. Its a great ride and there is even a half way cut off for those willing to dare the Millsap Bar trail. I highly recommend the the Millsap Bar cut off as it has a foot trail, off to the side, that leads my favorite place in California; Seven Falls. Maybe I could do a RR on that trip alone as the pictures would be worth posting on any web site!

Great info- I'll be in the Quincy area in a month or so - thanks!

Since you are in Quincy, how's Mt Hough Crystal Lake Rd? Possible with street tires?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #24
outBackscout OP
EPIC ADVENTURER

[QUOTE=1wicked55;22060554]That's my back yard.
I ride up there almost every weekend.

Watch for a big guy on a Husaberg FE 350.[/QUOT

I thought I had seen some fresh tracks in the Howland Flat area the day I was up there. When I stopped off in La Porte for a mid day beer I watched a BERG and KTM ride by the bar/store/deli/restaurant/watering hole that I was at. Maybe I'll see you out there this summer!
Old 08-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #25
outBackscout OP
EPIC ADVENTURER

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
Great info- I'll be in the Quincy area in a month or so - thanks!

Since you are in Quincy, how's Mt Hough Crystal Lake Rd? Possible with street tires?

It can be done with street tires no problem, just watch for deep gravel on the edges of the road and if your headed up early in the weekend mornings the hung over teenagers can pose a bit of a problem too.
I rider over Mt Hough often and will be going that way again on my way to the Lucky S mine this weekend. If I come across anything out of the norm I'll post it for sure!
Old 08-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #26
klinquist
übergeek

Quote:
I rider over Mt Hough often and will be going that way again on my way to the Lucky S mine this weekend. If I come across anything out of the norm I'll post it for sure!
Sounds like another waypoint I need to add to the GPS for future exploration :).
Old 08-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #27
IceCreamSoldier
suffering somewhere

Oddometer: 480
Been on the nice roads all around there, I"ll leave it up to you to keep the goat trails well represented. That's some serious terrain you overcame by yourself.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #28
outBackscout OP
EPIC ADVENTURER

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCreamSoldier View Post
Been on the nice roads all around there, I"ll leave it up to you to keep the goat trails well represented. That's some serious terrain you overcame by yourself.
Thanks but it comes at a hefty price, if my doctor and local BMW parts dealer dont hear from me that week they send out a search party!
I thought my day was going to turn into an episode of I shouldnt be alive when I rode into Poker Flat. Here is where I fail though...I cant wait to do it again!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #29
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,117
Hi, your pictures aren't showing up. :( I plan to do this in a couple weeks, just wanted to see how it was before hand!

thanks!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote